IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > car pooling and meeting friends
2/2/08, 9:27 AM   #21
Re: car pooling and meeting friends
dirtywhiteboy

Roger welcome to the greatest family you will ever know. Openwheel fans are some of the best around and any tru fan will always help out a newcomer understand this sport we love so much. I am 29 and luckily been infected with this addiction for many many years. Infact, (I was introduced to racing at a very young age. My first race was the Indy 500 in 1978 (although I don't remember it cause I was born in the first half of that year). But since then I have grown up in a racing family who were diehard fans and now have lucked into meeting some of the people I have idiolized for year.

Don't be affraid to walk up to someone and introduce yourself to them if they are wearing iow appearal. I went to Ft. Wayne in 2004 just to get Gary Bettenhausen's autograph and ended up meeting a great group of people there with a car of their own the first night. They told me to come by their pits the next night and we talked and shot the bull and come to find out after I told them I was dirtywhiteboy on midgetmadness.com they (for some very strange reason) liked me even more and now I have a group of friends that are teaching me about indoor and pavement racing and have put me on their indoor pit crew. I can't thank Corson/Savage racing enough for that.

If you can do it, one night get a pit pass and go in the pits and watch what these guys do to the cars and see that side of racing. it makes you appreciate what they do on a nightly basis even more. If there is a break in the action just kindly walk up and ask them some questions and explain to them why you are there. They'll talk to you. they may not give you team or trade secrets but they'll help you along.

Again welcome to best addiction a person could ever have.

2/2/08, 12:09 PM   #22
bigmojo5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
Roger welcome to the greatest family you will ever know. Openwheel fans are some of the best around and any tru fan will always help out a newcomer understand this sport we love so much. I am 29 and luckily been infected with this addiction for many many years. Infact, (I was introduced to racing at a very young age. My first race was the Indy 500 in 1978 (although I don't remember it cause I was born in the first half of that year). But since then I have grown up in a racing family who were diehard fans and now have lucked into meeting some of the people I have idiolized for year.

Don't be affraid to walk up to someone and introduce yourself to them if they are wearing iow appearal. I went to Ft. Wayne in 2004 just to get Gary Bettenhausen's autograph and ended up meeting a great group of people there with a car of their own the first night. They told me to come by their pits the next night and we talked and shot the bull and come to find out after I told them I was dirtywhiteboy on midgetmadness.com they (for some very strange reason) liked me even more and now I have a group of friends that are teaching me about indoor and pavement racing and have put me on their indoor pit crew. I can't thank Corson/Savage racing enough for that.

If you can do it, one night get a pit pass and go in the pits and watch what these guys do to the cars and see that side of racing. it makes you appreciate what they do on a nightly basis even more. If there is a break in the action just kindly walk up and ask them some questions and explain to them why you are there. They'll talk to you. they may not give you team or trade secrets but they'll help you along.

Again welcome to best addiction a person could ever have.

From Jim Morrison
Roger, Welcome to the Wonderful World of Auto Racing. You'll develop many friendships here. I did.

As far as track announcers, I agree with both of your observations, more can be done to help the new fan and most are so busy just reading off the next lineup they have very little time to educate.

When I started going to the races -- back in the day when a USAC sprint or midget show did not need support divisions to help pay the bills -- announcers like Bob Forbes and Bill Donella did an excellent job of informing someone new about racing. It also helped that I started going with a veteran fan, but it was the announcers who filled in many details. Of course, with practice, qualifying, four heats, a consi and a feature, they had plenty of time to fill. I remember an interview with Pancho Carterabout the position drivers put their hands on a steering wheel and learned he did it differently for dirt and for pavement. (Pavement was a traditional 10 and 2 while dirt was something like 8 and noon.) As a photographer, I rarely get to hear today's announcers as they don't put loud speakers in the turns pointed so we can hear so I cannont speak as to the quality of many of them. (Sometimes I don't even know who was fast quaifier until the racing is over for the evening and I check the stats.) I also think that one of the worst things to happen in racing is that the cars -- at most tracks -- no longer pit in the infields where fans can observe what the drivers and crews are doing. (It also made it easier for announcers to interview drivers.) Whlie use of the new enclosed trailers and insurance frequently have been cited as the reasons -- and it probably is to some extent -- I frequently have wondered if it was just there was not enough room for all of the cars from all of the divisions so none were allowed.

Anyway, welcome to Indiana Open Wheel.

2/2/08, 1:26 PM   #23
Jerry Shaw

IMO, Roger, your flirting with two things (Open-wheel racing and IOW) that are just as addictive as cigarettes or morphine. It'll seem cool at first, but then one day you'll find yourself sitting at your computer screen, at 2 am, totally riveted, as someone in California or Arizona phones in their description a race that they're watching to some else, as they describe it to you and about a hundred other addicts, just like you.

My advice: Turn the other direction and run like the wind, before it's too late:rolling

Seriously, though, welcome to IOW.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

2/2/08, 3:49 PM   #24
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
IMO, Roger, your flirting with two things (Open-wheel racing and IOW) that are just as addictive as cigarettes or morphine. It'll seem cool at first, but then one day you'll find yourself sitting at your computer screen, at 2 am, totally riveted, as someone in California or Arizona phones in their description a race that they're watching to some else, as they describe it to you and about a hundred other addicts, just like you.

My advice: Turn the other direction and run like the wind, before it's too late:rolling

Seriously, though, welcome to IOW.

Jerry
I think back to the money we have spent and wish I had turned my back and ran like the wind, then I think of all the memories and am glad I put my face to the wind in good times and bad.

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com

2/2/08, 5:35 PM   #25
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

[QUOTE=Roger Macy;27399]I am old (63) and a new spectator (3 years) to racing. My problem is that my wife will only go to races once a year which is the 4th of July to watch the fireworks and Bloomington puts on a wonderful show. A friend invited me to my first 3 or 4 races but he no longer attends on a regular bases. At this time when I go to the races I set by myself with no one to talk to. I am not a very outgoing person and find it very hard to strike up a conversation with a total stranger. I remember my first few races I didn

2/2/08, 11:42 PM   #26
David Lynch

Ron we met at a few tracks last year during USAC Indiana sprint weeks. We need to get together on Friday and carpool to Bloomington. (I am retired so I can leave early) We could meet in Patoka or at the Oakland City's Denny's. Which route do you travel to Bloomington? I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan if you want to ride with me. I have room 3 to 4 more racefan. Also maybe getting together traveling to MSCS races.
You can PM me David Lynch, Patoka

2/2/08, 11:51 PM   #27
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Roger,

I attend Bloomington Speedway nearly every Friday night. My wife comes with me sometimes when her schedule permits, but I make the drive from Evansville by myself most of the time. I will be 69 in March and certainly don't think I'm old. My mother was still coming to Bloomington Speedway at the age of ninety-five. She passed away in April 2001, just 4 1/2 months short of her ninety-sixth birthday, but attended thirty-eight races in 2000, the last being a USAC sprint-midget double header at Winchester on Oct. 22, 2000.
I usually sit near the turn one area if I can find a place for my lawn chair. Hope to meet you this coming season.
This post says it all. :respect: You are always welcome at our pit. :respect:

Josh Spencer #66j
www.joshspencer.com

2/3/08, 11:04 AM   #28
Pushtruck

Unfortunately Roger, the disease only gets worse, with no hope for recovery or cure. I have been afflicted for more than 40 years.

About fourteen years ago I thought I found a way help reduce the rising costs associated with the disease. I built a pushtruck, thinking if I could get a free pit pass and maybe even get paid enough to cover the cost of my gas to get to and from the track, I would have outsmarted all of the other people I knew who were afflicted.

So much for what appeared to be a good, sound financial plan to deal with the affliction. I have since gone through four pushtrucks, even with the free pit pass and gas money, they have resulted in a net loss of over $50,000 in fourteen years. I have travelled all over the country to feed the need.

Can I stop?....NO :kookoo
Do I want to stop?.....NO :kookoo
Is there ever hope to stop?....NO :kookoo

Have I always had the best seat in the house?.....NO
(There was that one time I couldn't see well when I got stuck in the pits.)

Would I trade any minute of it for a set of golf clubs?...NO

Have I enjoyed almost every minute of it and met a lot of really good people and developed lasting friendships?...ABSOLUTELY. :thumb

How would I sum up my experiences with the disease?.....PRICELESS! :applaud:

Joe Chambers
Official Push Trucks

2/3/08, 11:41 AM   #29
Onlydirt

With gas the way it is we should be starting a car pool with all of us fans.

2/4/08, 2:29 PM   #30
RichH

Roger, one thing to try is to put aside your shyness [not always easy, I know] and get to know the people sitting around you. I've travelled for a living most of my life and visited dirt tracks around the country alone. I've yet to meet a fan at a sprint race that wasn't friendly and somewhat knowledgeable. Many remain friends to this day so a trip to a far away track really isn't "alone" anymore.
My wife, not a race fan, sometimes asks why I go to a race alone. I tell her that I'll know people there. That's usually true but if not I
just meet new people with the same addiction.
I met my long time buddy and travel partner Pete on the CB radio[remember them?] in 1973 lost, trying to find Eldora. Now I can't get him to shut up! LOL. Besides, he continues to enlighten me with his lefty ********. See you all April 5th.
:hoffman:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > car pooling and meeting friends