IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Heartland Thunder on Discovery Channel
6/22/10, 10:32 AM   #21
Re: Heartland Thunder on Discovery Channel
TQ29m

I'm afraid another "reality" show is not in the best interests of getting people to the seats in the stands, from what I've seen, with both shows, I wasn't impressed, real fans, and real owners and drivers will still be the only ones who know the true picture, someone who doesn't know anything about the real racing may watch for a little while, but they'll still watch Price is Right, Cash Cab, and all those other "fantasy" shows, and still think "racing" is as it's portrayed on TV. Give me"American Pickers", and "Pawn Stars", that's some real, "reality"! JMHO! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 6/22/10 at 11:49 AM.

6/22/10, 3:24 PM   #22
Eatin Dirt

Thought the show was pretty good, liked it better than the Bowman Gray simply because it was dirt vs pavement. If they would follow a Sprint Team for say 3 days before Sprint Week starts and then all the way through the two weeks that would make for a good show.

6/22/10, 4:47 PM   #23
Lakesidedemon

This show hits close to home for me! My brother who is a pit member on Danny's car is the main reason why this show is on tv! 4 years ago he contacted a group in New York who came to Lakeside and taped a little bit here and there about the racing lives of a few of the guys there and they put together a little mini show that many people have never seen! That company then went around and shopped the boys and it was finally picked up and filmed by 3 Ball Productions! Then off to Discovery! A lot of emails, a lot of time spent by Rodney and Tom to get this going!
The intent is to follow the lives of these people in the racing world! These guys are not huge stars, but weekely local racers who live and die by this sport!

I have known everyone in this show all my life! Everyone on here truly lives to race!

Many do not know that this track gave birth to Clint Bowyer while Tim Karrick put him under his wing racing the dirt side! Clint and Tim are great friends to this day! Clint comes back all the time and brings Tony, Kevin, Carl and many others!!

Justin was a huge USMTS racer a few years back and came one lap from winning the IMCA Super Nationals a few years back! Flat Tire on the last lap..

Tom has been racing since 1968! He has well over 300+ Feature wins to his credit in the Kansas City and Kansas/Missouri/Iowa/Nebraska area's! He is a legend! Use to build his own cars, and still can! He is a master fab guy and a welder! His Wife DEE DEE who is in the show REALLY DOES ACT LIKE SHE DOES IN THE SHOW!! Full force, in your face every second! She does know her stuff when it comes to racing! She has been known to chase other drivers in the past with 4 was around the pits when she gets mad! That was several years ago though! Great lady, great family with a life long passion for racing!
Tom and Dee are also great friends with Clint, like we all are!

His son Danny I grew up with and was a stud football player in HS! Rode Bulls in college, and left that to go race with dad! He started in Street Stocks and won a championship in his first year racing those in 2001! He is now a great Mod driver and is the father of 2 boys, one who is deaf! Great Kid!

This show had no script! It was not written before! I am sure there was a plot that the directors had to kinda go off off, other than racing, but nothing was acted out! That is our track week in and week out! The show will show that! It gets better!

Thanks for watching!

2 members like this post: mowerman, mtek56
6/22/10, 4:48 PM   #24
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Give me"American Pickers", and "Pawn Stars", that's some real, "reality"! JMHO! Bob
Bob I knew there was a reason I liked you besides what you have done for racing. Those are my two favorites right now.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

6/22/10, 6:05 PM   #25
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesidedemon View Post
This show hits close to home for me! My brother who is a pit member on Danny's car is the main reason why this show is on tv! 4 years ago he contacted a group in New York who came to Lakeside and taped a little bit here and there about the racing lives of a few of the guys there and they put together a little mini show that many people have never seen! That company then went around and shopped the boys and it was finally picked up and filmed by 3 Ball Productions! Then off to Discovery! A lot of emails, a lot of time spent by Rodney and Tom to get this going!
The intent is to follow the lives of these people in the racing world! These guys are not huge stars, but weekely local racers who live and die by this sport!

I have known everyone in this show all my life! Everyone on here truly lives to race!
n

Many do not know that this track gave birth to Clint Bowyer while Tim Karrick put him under his wing racing the dirt side! Clint and Tim are great friends to this day! Clint comes back all the time and brings Tony, Kevin, Carl and many others!!

Justin was a huge USMTS racer a few years back and came one lap from winning the IMCA Super Nationals a few years back! Flat Tire on the last lap..

Tom has been racing since 1968! He has well over 300+ Feature wins to his credit in the Kansas City and Kansas/Missouri/Iowa/Nebraska area's! He is a legend! Use to build his own cars, and still can! He is a master fab guy and a welder! His Wife DEE DEE who is in the show REALLY DOES ACT LIKE SHE DOES IN THE SHOW!! Full force, in your face every second! She does know her stuff when it comes to racing! She has been known to chase other drivers in the past with 4 was around the pits when she gets mad! That was several years ago though! Great lady, great family with a life long passion for racing!

His son Danny I grew up with and was a stud football player in HS! Rode Bulls in college, and left that to go race with dad! He started in Street Stocks and won a championship in his first year racing those in 2001! He is now a great Mod driver and is the father of 2 boys, one who is deaf! Great Kid!

This show had no script! It was not written before! I am sure there was a plot that the directors had to kinda go off off, other than racing, but nothing was acted out! That is our track week in and week out! The show will show that! It gets better!

Thanks for watching!
i just watced the first show and thought it was ok and i will watch again.that lady dee would get the $hit knocked out of her by a few cracker girl's down here if she ran her mouth like that every week. (every once in a while is o.k but not all the time cause thing's do happen) i have friend's from that area and i know there not all like that,they might drink crappy beer(PBR) but there good people.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesidedemon View Post

n

Thanks for watching!
i just watced the first show and thought it was ok and i will watch again.that lady dee would get the $hit knocked out of her by a few cracker girl's down here if she ran her mouth like that every week. (every once in a while is o.k but not all the time cause thing's do happen) i have friend's from that area and i know there not all like that,they might drink crappy beer(PBR) but there good people.:2:

6/22/10, 6:37 PM   #26
raceway video

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
I'm afraid another "reality" show is not in the best interests of getting people to the seats in the stands, from what I've seen, with both shows, I wasn't impressed, real fans, and real owners and drivers will still be the only ones who know the true picture, someone who doesn't know anything about the real racing may watch for a little while, but they'll still watch Price is Right, Cash Cab, and all those other "fantasy" shows, and still think "racing" is as it's portrayed on TV. Give me"American Pickers", and "Pawn Stars", that's some real, "reality"! JMHO! Bob
Size of the crowd at Bowman Gray greatly increased according to this article. Seems they even bumped up the purse for the guys because of it.

http://www.bowmangrayracing.com/pres..._Winnings.html

6/22/10, 8:03 PM   #27
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fast View Post
Bob I knew there was a reason I liked you besides what you have done for racing. Those are my two favorites right now.
also my 2 favs right now!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Heartland Thunder on Discovery Channel