IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race Track Locator: Historic
1/7/09, 10:55 PM   #21
Re: Race Track Locator: Historic
DangOHarp

Hey guys, I'm out here in the sticks of Frankton... count me in on your little excursion! I have a decent digital camera to snap some pics to post on here. :thumb

1/8/09, 12:40 AM   #22
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangOHarp View Post
Hey guys, I'm out here in the sticks of Frankton... count me in on your little excursion! I have a decent digital camera to snap some pics to post on here. :thumb
It looks like we are going on Saturday afternoon around 1:30 PM. You are more than welcome to join us. PM me if you are interested. Thanks.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1/8/09, 12:51 AM   #23
fgr8frk

Attachment 717

1/8/09, 1:00 AM   #24
fgr8frk

Attachment 718

1/8/09, 12:32 PM   #25
sprintcar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
There was a thread on here several months ago showing satelite picture of old historic tracks in Indiana. Just wondering if anyone knows where that is or if it was linked to a site.

Someone was talking about Anderson Speedway haveing a sister track, back in the woods in a town somewhere around Anderson. I think i read about it on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgr8frk View Post
This is the Muncie Motor Speedway in Muncie, In. It was very much like Anderson. My brother Danny Williams Jr. finished second there to George Wilkins in a CORA race in '86 or '87 after leading most of it. I believe it was the last or one of the last races run there before it closed.

1/8/09, 1:34 PM   #26
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangOHarp View Post
Like mud packer said.Your welcome to meet us out there.Being a 15 year old kid.i cant wait to see the track and stuff.

"{If You Find Your Self Upside Down,That Means You Went Over The Edge}"

"{Dont Let The Fear of Flipping Get In The Way Of Winning}"

1/8/09, 2:49 PM   #27
RcrSkyChk

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: n/a

i might show up out there too! i've been out there many times but now i'm itching too...i would like to visit muncie too but with the contamination of the dumping they did that makes it kinda creepy to do

1/8/09, 3:10 PM   #28
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceace View Post
I found the track on Google earth. You can see the track (half) and exactly how to get there. It is even marked, just enter Armscamp Speedway and it will take you right too it.

Alexandria, IN

40.278530, -85.687241+40° 16' 42.71", -85° 41' 14.07"

Started as 1/5th dirt midget track. Highly popular. Built 1940-41. First race 7-12-41. Last race 1958 on concrete track. 1/5th dirt track turn can be noticed in the bottom of the infield of 1/4 mile concrete track. Great article in OPEN WHEEL Vintage Views November 1999 by Ron Lemasters Sr.
IT WAS A PAVEMENT TRACK!!!!!!!!!! NO 1/5 MILE DIRT TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!:checkered:

1/8/09, 3:16 PM   #29
SUPERDUKE
Banned

HOUSTON BUNDY FROM DAYTON WAS KILLED THERE IN A MIDGET RACE SEPT 1946! HOUSTON AND MY DAD HAD A MIDGET BEFORE WW 2 BLUE 28 V8 60 HOUSTON WAS KILLED DRIVING CARL REYNOLDS 10 V8 60! I WAS THERE DON'T REMEMBER ANYTHING ABOUT IT! :checkered:

1/8/09, 3:20 PM   #30
RcrSkyChk

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: n/a

if you guys have seen the Mickey Rooney movie the Big Wheel...there is a scene in the movie where a driver named "happy" dies, in the movie they use some real footage from a real crash from Armscamp! How about them apples.

Also guys warning there are several no trespassing signs on the property lol...but since one family that lives across the Street is the Adams hopefully it'll be ok.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race Track Locator: Historic