IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tim Richmond - ESPN
10/20/10, 9:02 AM   #21
Re: Tim Richmond - ESPN
Sawdust101

He could drive anything here is one I have of Tim up at INDY
Last edited by Sawdust101; 9/1/11 at 4:49 PM.

2 members like this post: IndyBound, Ovalmeister
10/20/10, 9:42 AM   #22
RandyB

I remember when I was just a young kid meeting Tim Richmond at the Golf course I worked at. Bob & Tom of Q95 and Big Don Swickard of Wolfe & Swickard Machine Co. were associate sponsors on his Indy ride. Tim was a rich & spoiled kid. I will stop short of saying others were more to blame for his troubles in life then him or Nascar. How many 16 year old kids get a New Trans Am, A new plane and a new speedboat for their 16th birthday. Tim Richmonds life just pisses me off! If he had been a poor guy in 1980, he would have fit in or if he had been born 20 years later.........he would have fit right in with all the rich, spoiled kids who buy rides now days.......ie: Jr., Paul Menard, Milka Duna, etal. Tim Richmond was one of the greatest.
Last edited by RandyB; 10/20/10 at 3:25 PM.

10/20/10, 9:48 AM   #23
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust101 View Post
He could drive anything here is one I have of Tim up at INDY
Thanks Sawdust, I love seeing old photos from back then. Here's one I snapped of Gelhausen and Richmond in 1980. Tim could really tear up an Indy car. I think after his Michigan crash his family steered him towards stock cars.
David.

2 members like this post: IndyBound, Sawdust101
10/20/10, 9:52 AM   #24
LEADERS EDGE

Never met him, but he definately left an impression on just about anyone who watched him.

I'll never forget going to the Speedway for qualifying and seeing homemade banners on the front straight rooting for him. Like a concert.

The irony is that he is considered today to be this grassroots racer and what racing should be about....but he too was a "Rich boy...spending daddy's(step) money." His step father; according to the things I have read....basically invented the underground boring machine. Instead of having to dig a trench, you can drill a hole and shoot tube in it to support it. They spent quite abit of that money to get him to the top.

He is basically the model for the modern "corporate" money racer. Flew everywhere and had motorhomes at the track. Much of which was to present an image that would attract money.

It's a damn good thing that it happened that way and there was that support system....Without Rich mommies and daddy's willing spend a fortune to support their kids racing habit....there wouldn't be near as much racing as there is today. That and we would have missed out on seeing people like Tim Richmond.

Unbelievable driver in the right place at the right time. It's a shame that like many of us...the things that made him so popular and great as a driver...where the same things that ultimately brought him down.

I'm glad I got to see him perform.

10/20/10, 10:38 AM   #25
D.O.

I got to spend some time with Timmy in his sprint car days and into his stock car days while working with ESPN. He used to help me out with ESPN by putting the oval ESPN decals on his car and helmet.
One night in Richmond, Va. we hooked up and before the night was over we were both drunk as hell in a 51 chevy pickup truck with a girl as the night endded around 3 am. I made it to my room rolled into the track and Timmy was wide eyed on full kill for the 8 am practice session.. Sitting in the #2 Stacy car revin' the engine in the pits ready to hit the track. My head hurt really bad and I'm sure his did too but he was ready to run.
Last time I spent with him was at Riverside after his final NASCAR win, we had a good talk and I knew that would be the last time I would see him alive.
Timmy ran a good life and had friends everywhere and if he didn't he would make them on the spot.
Good show about a great racer who's career was cut way too short.

RIP Timmy

3 members like this post: IndyBound, interpreter66, Pat O'Connor Fan
10/20/10, 11:21 AM   #26
SPRINTCAR

Me, my wife and kids were at Daytona for the July 4th race (Pepsi Firecracker 400) one year. We were sitting in the parking lot of the Mcdonald's down the street from the track. Here comes a safety truck from the track and Tim Richmond is riding shotgun. They go though the drivethur and leave. He wins the race that day. We just thought it was funny and great to see he was just an ordinary guy like everyone else. One of the few that could drive any form of a racecar.

10/21/10, 6:30 AM   #27
hoosierhillbilly

FOr those interested there was a biography written by David Poole about Tim Richmond. I found it at a half price books and thought it was a pretty good quick read.

10/22/10, 3:48 PM   #28
RacinFool

I saw Tim in the Supermodifieds and knew he was going to be somthing real special. Always made me proud to see this openwheeler beat up on the black #3. RIP Tim

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tim Richmond - ESPN