IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ump Hell Tour Plymouth Speeday
7/13/16, 9:52 AM   #21
Re: Ump Hell Tour Plymouth Speeday
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Almost opted to make the 2 hr drive yesterday. once we looked at the forecast, decided it was to risky for us (3 small kids, as they would have been devastated). ended up staying home and thank goodness we did as we would have been pulling in about the same time they called the show. Would have like to have gone as it has been a few years since we have gone to a latemodel show, not to mention it would have been another new track for me.

7/13/16, 10:24 AM   #22
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

You said inferior. I like both equally.

Nothing inferior about someone who's got the balls to strap into one. Whether it be a late model or sprint car.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
7/13/16, 10:42 AM   #23
flagboy55

Inferior wasn't my word, I used it because someone else used it before me. Let me clarify. By inferior I mean not the best. Picking one form of racing as the best, it, for me is sprint cars and I cannot see why anyone would think differently. I take nothing away from anyone who runs late models or who goes to watch them. I'm going to try to make it to shadyhill tonight, depending on weather. I apologize if you you are insulted Chris, certainly none was intended. I just know this, all things equal and I am going to a race, I will choose sprint cars first every time, cause while most all dirt track racing is good, it's inferior to sprint cars

7/13/16, 10:50 AM   #24
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Let's put sprint cars and late models on the same card every week and all is right with the world like Bloomington used to do back in the 80's.

I'm game

4 members like this post: bigq11, flagboy55, ISF, nathans1012
7/13/16, 12:32 PM   #25
ISF

I will apologize up front for further participating in the thread hi-jack.

Where I'm from is a late-model or nothing area. Dirt late models are the only racing at the half dozen dirt tracks that are within 60 mile of our home so I have the opportunity to attend some of the finest dirt late model racing in the country on a weekly basis, and do from time to time, but not on a regular basis as we once did.

After attending as many wingless sprint car races as we could within driving distance for several years I found myself being less entertained by the dirt lates in comparison. I'm not insinuating that they're not entertaining but not to the degree of the wingless sprint cars and high quality midgets.

Having been involved with a very successful dirt late model team many years ago I came to the conclusion that dirt late model drivers are good race car drivers but the really successful ones are better at setting up the car for differing track conditions than their less successful counterparts if the equipment is comparable. Not necessarily a better wheel man.

I believe drivers are a bit more important to the success of a wingless sprint car or midget than their dirt late model contemporaries. That may be the reason that so many dirt open wheel drivers get the opportunity to make the transition to NASCAR as opposed to so few dirt late model drivers.

2 members like this post: Chris Nunn, flagboy55
7/13/16, 1:06 PM   #26
Backitin

Late models are over teched over priced junk and ump mods aint real mods anyhow, enjoy.
I have both late models and real modifieds 15 minutes from my house, you'd have to pay me to attend not the other way around.
Now I'm sure the typical reply will come that a real race fan will watch anything, Bull. I'd much rather go to the local bmx track and watch the kids race. Or possibly a good lawnmower race. Maybe get my teeth cleaned.

7/13/16, 7:35 PM   #27
Nate

Personally I'd rather watch LMs at Eldora over sprints any day. They put on a hell of a show there. However there isn't a track in Indiana I'd trade LMs for over sprints any day. Probably because we're spoiled and have the best sprint car drivers in the world all group together right here in one spot and we don't need anything else to make us happy.

As far as Plymouth goes, being rained out and all the rain we've had since is probably the best thing that could happen for them. Now maybe there MIGHT be some moisture left for their regular show on Saturday.

I do not like being critical of tracks, especially up here in the northern part of the state because I'd bet money that 1, possibly 2, will not return to action next year. But Plymouth has been the least impressive track I've been to. Yes, their new facilities are nice but the track just doesn't do it for me. Anytime I've been there, the show runs late and I don't get back to Fort Wayne until sometime in the AM whereas I can go take in a full show at Kokomo which is even further away and still make it home before midnight even after I stroll through the pits afterwards. Not to mention the racing at the "Playground of Power" is par, at best. I know they have their issues with the pavement being under the surface but it's bone dry anytime I'm there. They keep saying they're improving but they've had something like 3-4 years now and still...I don't see much of it.

The issues might be why Plymouth's car counts are falling but I'm not a car owner or driver nor do I work there so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Maybe "plymouthfan" can pass on some of my concerns since he seems to have just "run into" or "talked to" all the track officials anytime he posts.

7/13/16, 7:39 PM   #28
cwfan08

Race Count This Year: 17

Personally I like late models and modifieds, they arent "junk", but neither are inferior to each other. We live in a state where sprint car racing is big where as in Illinois late models and mods are. Kudos to Plymouth and shady hill jumping on the tour!

3 members like this post: DIZZLE, hoosier race fan, nathans1012
7/13/16, 9:53 PM   #29
Spi-nex

I'm just glad I live in America where I can witness 1st world problems get hashed out like a good ole LM vs Sprint thread :-D

7 members like this post: cwfan08, davidm, fish, mtek56, nathans1012, PIT CART, Ty
7/13/16, 9:55 PM   #30
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Hoosier race fan, late models are inferior to sprint cars, it's just a fact! No shame to late models. I enjoy watching them every chance I get, but since they closed crown point, and only junk cars at Joliet, and I heard that Kankakee dropped em, I don't have much chance to see them. Going to try to get to shadyhill tomorrow

Yeah but they can run more than thirty laps without a fuel stop...............

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ump Hell Tour Plymouth Speeday