IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WoO - No Heat Inversions
2/23/16, 7:08 PM   #21
Re: WoO - No Heat Inversions
JDFAST

In an Indiana Open Wheel Forum, I figured the USAC format would be the most popular, and since I grew up with the CRA format, I tend to like that one. 8 car inverts for mains and heats?

But how's this format. Two groups are separated in qualifying. The first group races heat races 1 and 2, and second group 3 and 4. 8 car invert for heats the winner of the heat race and fastest car in heat that transfer get into the dash with a pea pick for top 6 spots (6 fastest guys that transfer), the other 2 start in rear of dash. That almost guarantees u have to both qualify fast, and pass cars during the night.

Also, with 6 car inverts, it's likely you will have nearly 24 fast cars, but maybe not as much if you have 32 cars. You need to have both fast and slow cars to make for a good show. If all you have is 3 dave darlands and 3 Ballou's in a race, yeah it might be exciting, but wouldn't it be better if u had 2 Dave's, 2 Ballous, and 4 Ricky gaunts in a heat race. If all you have is 6 Darlands in a hear race, yeah it might be exciting, but not much passing. What if u had (I don't know all the drivers in the Midwest) but 6 Mike Spencers, guys that race smooth, hard and fast (wins lot of races and championships) race with their head, not right foot, might not be as much action.

I agree there is no perfect format, but I can say from experience, the USAC format of 6 and 6 is not nearly as good as 8 and 8 is for racing on CA tracks IMHO. Maybe it is in Indiana? I just want to see guys have a chance to win the main, and ... with my format above, anybody can win the main even if they don't qualify well.

Just my $02 and don't expect others to agree, but maybe open dialog with the sanctioning body, teams and fans. I know Indiana has strong support for racing, but in CA, you don't see many fans at the track anymore that don't have grey hair and are north of 50. But maybe that is a regional thing.

PS I know guys like Darland, Ballou, Spencer, Gaunt (rip his driving days , etc all could start 8th in a heat or main, and transfer and win the main. As it is now, it would be hard for any of these drivers if they qualified 25th, there chance at winning the main is not great.
Last edited by JDFAST; 2/23/16 at 7:09 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WoO - No Heat Inversions