IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo on Sunday
10/21/07, 7:14 PM   #21
Re: Kokomo on Sunday
Melmo

WOW what a race!!! Whitt blew a tire while getting ready to take the checkered and the caution came out. But what can I say the man on the move was Dave Darland. Dave had to go to the rear when he had no where to go and then turned around and came form last to 3rd who could ever believed that. Dave would have been the one to beat if he didn't have to start from the rear.:rolling: Job well done DAVE!!!

10/21/07, 7:33 PM   #22
Motormasher

Where was Dave running to pass everybody?

10/21/07, 7:35 PM   #23
Speedracer

Huggy Huggy Pole

10/21/07, 7:45 PM   #24
clayton92fan

Dave had it set up squishy right rear, leaning way over and carrying the left front all the way down the straights. Only car passing , and by the last 5 laps was smoking the right rear like a dragster.. That said NOBODY was gonna pass Whitt if he didn't make a mistake. Coming down the backstretch to the checkered and a back marker spins in 3 almost a lap down and causes the caution.Cottle was the lucky dog today.. Thats racing though. As for the track condition, after 160 cars last night and 20-30 mile per hour winds and sunshine today, they were behind the 8 ball from the start in my opinion. Looking forward to Fort Wayne now I guess. Have a good winter..

10/21/07, 9:53 PM   #25
Jerry Spencer

Melmo where did you see a race? The drivers could not see the car in front of them most of the time, (a little better after the sun went down) people were leaving after watching as much follow the leader as they could stand saying they would not be back. running more laps under yellow than anybody had fuel on board, moving the tire in 1 and 2 out into the racing surface moving everybody on too the ice (in the middle of the feature) and last but not least people driving right past the race track because of the dust on 35 due to packing the track and running the sheepsfoot while we stood in line to get in. The people that left Sat. and did not come back were a lot smarter than the people that came today and left not wanting too come back. Just a few thoughts from myself and the people at the track. The best thing is no one got hurt today/ tonight.

Jerry

10/21/07, 10:04 PM   #26
Tim Watson

Thanks for the updates guys. Like Aero i want to tune in to the Steelers game after a bunch of BEER's in the garage today after a 100 mile ride on the Harley today! :thumb:

10/21/07, 10:16 PM   #27
racefan20

Guys what would you want them to do, cancel the race because it was too sunny and windy out???????????? There is no way the track was gonna be anything but what it was under the conditions they had. Not a cloud in the sky and 30 MPH winds. The night before the winds were almost as strong but they had about 150 cars, many more than they expected. SO all you guys that think they should have done something different lets hear it. I suppose they could have waited until tonight but they didnt know how many cars they would get today and besides someone would have complained about running tonight too. Lets hear it guys if you owned the track what would you have done different.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

10/21/07, 10:32 PM   #28
Joe Kidd

Dave had that Ft. Wayne rumble set up.

Jerry I was thinking the same thing, especially the people who had never been there before. I seen a few people get up and leave after the first couple of spins in the feature.

But to the ones that race there pretty often and the fans that go there on Sundays knows it was not the norm.

As for Cole Whitt, hope to see you again next year as with the others. That was a tuff break for the young man.

10/21/07, 10:45 PM   #29
Speedracer

I kind of liked this afternoon. It reminded me of old Kokomo when it sometimes would get one groove, root the other guy out of the way. It was a drivers track tonight. You had to be patient and take it easy, yet drive hard and not make to many mistakes. Something only race car drivers can do.

Also I wouldn't mind if those sportsman cars replaced the thunder cars. No offense to the fans and the drivers of those but the Sportsman put on a pretty good little race imo.

10/21/07, 11:05 PM   #30
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Guys what would you want them to do, cancel the race because it was too sunny and windy out???????????? There is no way the track was gonna be anything but what it was under the conditions they had. Not a cloud in the sky and 30 MPH winds. The night before the winds were almost as strong but they had about 150 cars, many more than they expected. SO all you guys that think they should have done something different lets hear it. I suppose they could have waited until tonight but they didnt know how many cars they would get today and besides someone would have complained about running tonight too. Lets hear it guys if you owned the track what would you have done different.
First if I was a track owner and believe me I could not take the headache I would cut the track open as soon as the last race had run, couple trucks of water starting at the top, first thing in the morning a couple more loads of water, noon a few more trucks of water run the track in and keep on top of it as needed. I lied too you because the first thing I would do is cut the sheepsfoot into little bits and haul it too the scrap yard, sheepsfoot equals dust. You are right there was wind and sun so maybe not so many cars, (classes) 167 cars is what we were told, the drivers were told the track was packed tight so as to have a smooth surface, (Sunday) what we had today was a Kokomo version of the indoor Fort Wayne races. Dave Darland was as usual the class of the field not taking anything from Shane and the Edison crew as we all know Monty has done more with less than anyone around and in our opinion we would not be were we are without Monty Edison. As for the O'conners they are trying there best as far as I can see and they have always treated my family with respect, we also consider them to be our friends. It is just my opinion that this was a bad weekend, they will make things better next year as we all know they are in this for the long run. :respect:

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo on Sunday