IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your top five races attended in 2009?
1/2/10, 1:07 AM   #21
Re: Your top five races attended in 2009?
racephoto1

In no particular order.
North Vernon rain out finish . Jeff Bland goes from 17th to win in 21 laps. Balls to the walls as they say.

Haubstadt sprint week. Clauson and Jones for all the marbles. Couldn't get any better for sprint week title.

Bloomington midget week.Racing on every inch of the track.

Terre Haute MSCS . Stanbrough and Gardner put on a great show.

Winchester oldtimers weekend. Dave Darland hustles his a$$ of to win the show.

Oswego champ car race. My first time their. The atmosphere there oozes history.Great show too.

Honorable mention for the Bloomington mini sprint race. The feature winner didn't even know he;d won.

1/2/10, 2:19 AM   #22
sprntr

1) Fireman's Nationals @ Angell Park Speedway. Best outdoor Midget race I've ever seen.

2) Jerry Richert Memorial @ Cedar Lake (WI) Speedway. Great to see Brooke Tatnell win his father-in-law's memorial race. Huge party followed!

3) KISS Sprints, AMSA, MTQRL @ Lawrenceburg (May 23rd). Great racing all night, free beverages provided by local Bud distributor!

4) Hoosier 100 @ the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Crowns on a Dirt Mile! Party after!

5) Tony Bettenhausen 100 @ Springfield. Crowns on a Dirt Mile! Great party after! Even the State Police came!!

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
1/6/10, 5:55 PM   #23
racefanindy

Only came up with four.....
1. Indy Car race at Chicagoland. 2nd half of the race was scary & incredible at the same time. Side by side & three wide lap after lap over 200 miles an hour.
2. Kokomo Midget Week
3. Little 500 sprint car race. Dave Steele & Eric Gordon battled nose to tail for about 150 laps during the second half of the race. Watching either of those two go thru traffic at Anderson is worth the price of admission!
4. 4-crown at Eldora. Man that place is fast!

1/6/10, 8:45 PM   #24
clark9c

kiss race at paragon, midget week at bloomington, any race i attended at tri-state but the race that takes the cake for me this past year was the Indiana Ice-Breaker at Brownstown Speedway, the heats werent much but the feature was the best ive seen in a while

1/7/10, 1:41 PM   #25
SPRINTCAR

Not in any order,
Indycars at Kentucky
4 Crown
DTWC Latemodel 100 lapper
ISW @ Burg
IMW @ Burg
Hoosier 100
Kiss @ Burg
can you tell I live close to the Burg?
Last edited by SPRINTCAR; 1/7/10 at 1:43 PM.

1/7/10, 7:14 PM   #26
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Miss Manzy View Post
WOW!! Had to get all 9 remaining brain cells going for this one! Here's what I came up with,in chronological order:
1.-Copper on Dirt-Manzanita,Feb. 20-21.
Our season opener,all three USAC divisions on the
half.Hagen in the sprints,Sweet in the midgets and
Kaeding in the silver crowns. At this point,blissfully
unaware of the upcoming closure of Manzy.

2.-Manzanita Finale-Apr.12
Easter Sunday.Capacity crowd (where were you
when we needed you?),Ron Shuman & Leland
Mc Spadden back on the track,Jesse Hockett takes
the Sprint feature and Bobby Marcum wins the "Last
Dance". R.I.P Manzy,you are greatly missed.

3.-KISS Opener-Gas City,May 15
Clauson over Cottle for the win and Chris Windom
from last in the B-main to a top-ten in the A! A
great intro to Indiana racing!

4.-ASCA Season Finale-Canyon Speedway Park,Oct.17
Watching Zach Sawyers go from tail-end Charlie,
after a spin on lap 10,to 5th at the checkers to
win the championship by 4 points! It doesn't hardly
get much better!

5.-Western World-USA Tucson,Nov.19-21
3 nights,135 cars,wing & non-wing.ASCS. 2 highlights
for meave Darland,after experiencing engine woes
in Bob Ream's beautiful 36d and getting into Jim
Massey's backup,going from 13th in the B to 5th in
the A, and meeting a fellow IOWer while tailgating on
Sat.(you know who you are!)

Hope everyone else has some good memories from '09,and I wish a happy,prosperous and safe New Year to all here on IOW.
Joe, you all ready covered three of my top five, there was no better way to start the racing season off than having all three USAC divisions running at Manzy, an yes we were blissfully unaware that we would no longer have a race track to go to in two short months on that Feb. weekend.

April 12th I was sitting a row in front of you at the finale race at Manzy. Like yourself, allot of racers plans changed that Eater Sunday when the last race at Manzy had to be reschedule for Easter due to rain, Easter will come again in 2010 Manzy would only close once.

The ASCA Season Finale at Canyon Speedway Park found me once again sitting in front of you enjoying the last sprint car action of the year for me. Canyon did a great job with the track rework, it was a racy little place.

My favorite race of the year had to be the USAC Silver Crown and Midget invasion at PIR in November, being in the pits with Bobby Santos, his parents and crew when he won the Midget race sure was exciting.

Being at Oswego for the return of USAC Silver Crown/champ cars was also high on my list of favorite races in 2009 and I look forward to their return in 2010. It was a thrill having them back at the home track I grew up at.

Richmond is another favorite venue of mine, an once again we were blissfully unaware in June while running there that USAC would be gone from the 2010 schedule. Jacob Wilson looked extremely strong at Richmond and Phoenix, I thought for sure he was going to win one of those two races, I hope I am there to see him win in 2010.

Patti

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your top five races attended in 2009?