IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
davidm (Offline)
  #21 3/17/14 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by ronmil:
.....and what a bizarre finish! Even NASCAR didn't know why the caution lights came on!
Someone let Brian France play with the caution light button again.
on_the_edge (Offline)
  #22 3/17/14 3:31 PM
I stopped watching NASCAR a few years ago and just started watching semi regularly again last year for guys like stenhouse and Larson. For their sake I hope the sport is not dieing their careers are young with bright futures. As for the racing yesterday's race was the most entertainment I have seen in a NASCAR race in a long time. Lap traffic racing was very intense sometimes three wide with action all over the track. Hopefully they can find some sort of spark again to keep the sport alive because in a way it has enhanced short track racing across the country.

"It's the fastest who get paid, and the fastest who get laid".
DAD (Offline)
  #23 3/17/14 3:47 PM
Racing is always so much more entertaining when the race is held on a "Bull Ring" race track. It does get a bit confusing as we grow older, but that is why they make transponders. Computers just don't make mistakes.

Honest Dad himself
captrat (Online)
  #24 3/18/14 3:28 PM
[QUOTE=Charles Nungester;368391]1. Prices went through the roof. You had to buy tickets for both Nationwide and Cup just to get a ticket. Ran people off.

Weather, Yes the spring race was always less attended but it used to get pretty packed, people froze and got sunburn in the same weekend

Parking, Camping, hotels jacked prices

People have less disposable income

Track change

Track Change again.

Personally I think the racings as good as ever. Expecially this night stuff.. Much better than that restrictor plate crap.

Coal Mines and all associated jobs around it are being destroyed all around the area.

Theres probably more too it but thats some of it.

Last but not least, A twelve pack is less than one beer from the store and your arm chair.[/QUOTe

All good observations. Additionally NASCAR has been aggressively pursuing television coverage for many years. The downside to this is: armchair fans who never attend a live race, over exposure leading to the "this is nothing special, always another one next week", not creating new lifelong fans who would rather sit at home, as opposed to going out to their local track. While television can be a great way to expose people to a new sport, it is not all positive. For our sport the lesson here is some television is laudable, but be careful what you wish for when it comes to it being a replacement for actually attending a race in person.
trecraft (Offline)
  #25 3/18/14 4:47 PM
Probably five years ago, a friend from Pennsylvania called and asked if I would be interested in going to Martinsville. We had moved to the Winston Salem area and although I had already been there once, told him to come on down. We and another friend went and had a good time on a beautiful spring day. What I most remember about the whole experience was when he told me he and a friend had gone to Bristol the previous year and their motel bill had been $1,000 for three days. He never mentioned the price of the Bristol ticket, but the $1,000 motel bill was etched in his mind. He and his brother(first visit) have been back for Martinsville. They don't even mention Bristol. I think I know why.
Onlydirt (Offline)
  #26 3/18/14 9:29 PM
Only time I have been there was for the WOO. Had a great time and have no plans on returning for NASCAR. Some good racing for a change on scenery this summer try AMA Pro Motorcross at Red Bud and the new venue being built in Crawfordsville, In. Great entertainment all day!
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #27 3/18/14 10:29 PM
Interesting read of all of the posts on this thread. This was our 25th year attending the spring race at Bristol. Many things have changed since we first starting going. #1 is the track was owned by Larry Carrier and then sold to Bruton Smith. Bristol probably only seated 45,000 when we first went there. Tickets were extremely difficult to get. Now they have about 160,000 seats. We have been there in good weather and bad with this year being the coldest race day we have endured.

Nothing anyone has said on here would I dispute. Interesting takes that most folks have about NASCAR and the tracks in general. One thing we have noticed, as the crowds have gone down, the friendlyness of the track employees have gone up. It is now over and above what we ever expected to see.

When we first started going to NASCAR races 30 years ago, we attended anyplace from 6-8 per year. That has changed to now only Bristol in the spring and Talladega in the spring. The cost has risen for almost everything and the racing really isn't that good anymore. We have found Bristol & Talladega to be our favorites and our group of guys still enjoy the fellowship and fun and want to continue to go.

It was printed in the local paper last year that the Sunday race drew 100,000 people. I can guarantee that is was about 40-45,000 at the absolute most. This year was worse yet and I can say that 25,000 would be a generous estimate. They didn't bother to insult anyone with an estimate.

I give the track and NASCAR credit for spending a lot of money and time to get the show in. They could of pulled the plug after the first rain delay and nobody would have said much at all. They kept working at it and were finally rewarded with a window of opportunity to get the show run.

This brings me to my last point. I am surprised no one said much on here about the yellow lights coming on near the end. I will guarantee that it was done deliberately to try and end the race on a green, white, checkered finish for TV. Carl Edwards had too big of a lead to let it play out that way. They had two competition yellows earlier during the race and they waited both times until the leader was exiting turn two to display the yellow. Carl Edwards was exiting turn two when the yellow appeared.

I was listening to the scanner and Jimmy Fenning (Edward's crew chief) told Carl that he asked for an explanation from a NASCAR inspector and they wouldn't even talk to him. I switched over to race control and they told Brett Bodine (pace car driver) that they were working on a restart order. Brett told them that they were losing the track and they told him to keep them out there.

Thankfully the racing gods rewarded Cousin Carl with heavy enough rain to preserve a well deserved victory. I am sure that a restart would have resulted into a demo derby and that would have been a costly outcome for many car owners. Again, TV is what NASCAR is trying to satisify not the paying customers at the gate.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
8 Likes: DAD, dirtnonwingfan, mowerman, ronmil, speed bump, SpfldMile, Tom23, TQ29m
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #28 3/19/14 11:16 AM
Interesting observation there Mike.

I can tell you this, I WOULD NEVER SPEND A DIME AT A EVENT I SOMEHOW FELT WAS RIGGED, Something done deliberately to either try to change a outcome or make it EXCITING FOR TV.

I guess I could included the CHASE FORMAT in that
I don't even watch much Hockey anymore and I used to not miss a game IN PERSON due to shootouts.

If I want that, I'll go to WWE.

Ive been offered free tickets to Kentucky every year they've been racing, Trucks, Nationwide, CUP and turned them down everytime. I'd rather hit The Burg. I remember a couple years ago going to Kokomo Sprint Week and laughing the whole trip as the radio blared, Four hour delay on 71 south. about three pm they just said if you ain't left yet, you won't make it. LOL

Chuck

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: Mud Packer, Will Shunk
RacinBabe (Offline)
  #29 3/19/14 10:01 PM
Chuck, shootouts are awful!!! There's a good hockey game on tonight!

Kelly