IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
2/9/08, 12:41 PM   #21
Re: Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Leon Thickston still has a sprint car, it runs weekly at Paragon and is driven by Steve Rone of Bloomington. Last year Steve won the track championship at Paragon. Rest in peace Jeff.
you would know about weekly at paragon:doh::icon_smile_blackeye

2/9/08, 12:55 PM   #22
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
Cecil,we Ran Down There From Time To Time In The 60's But Our Driver Wasn't As Known As Some Of Those Guys (don Hewitt).
Chris, did Don drive your grandma's blue #19? I do remember when Dick Gaines drove that car! But, most people remember Dick for driving Dizz's yellow #70. I had forgotten about Don Hewitt.

2/9/08, 1:02 PM   #23
smith19

Yea, He Drove The Blue #19. After He Got Out Of It George Harbour Got In It. He Did A Great Job For Us. Don Was Good If You Could Keep Him Out Of Gramps Cooler......lol

2/9/08, 1:06 PM   #24
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
Yea, He Drove The Blue #19. After He Got Out Of It George Harbour Got In It. He Did A Great Job For Us. Don Was Good If You Could Keep Him Out Of Gramps Cooler......lol
Yeah, I heard that!:rolling

2/9/08, 3:35 PM   #25
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Really like to keep a group of us Burg Fans together for chat, discussion over at www.queencitymotorsports.com. Not to take away from IOW at all but it's more local and doesn't seem like were overruning the board and as a way to keep in touch. Keith truelly has some amazing links such as earlier in this thread and lots of info on the Burg.

Chuck

2/9/08, 4:56 PM   #26
fishnman

As I have been reading the posts and seeing all the names, it makes me realize how time slips away. Then I think about my 9 year old son, and what a huge fan he has become. Hell, I will never forget at a USAC show at Eldora at the ripe old age of 6 he was explaining to a couple next to us how time trials work, who advances out of the heats, the B main and so on. Then I see the names that have come up in the posts that were some of my heroes, and now the names of Stanbrough, Clayton, Cottle, Darland, etc are the names he will remember 25 years from now. Damn proud of him, he Knows what real racing is and who real men are! :foxcostanbrough: :briscoe: :hoffman:

2/9/08, 6:17 PM   #27
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Really like to keep a group of us Burg Fans together for chat, discussion over at www.queencitymotorsports.com. Not to take away from IOW at all but it's more local and doesn't seem like were overruning the board and as a way to keep in touch. Keith truelly has some amazing links such as earlier in this thread and lots of info on the Burg.

Chuck
I think we'll be ok here, Chuck. H$ll, look all the Stenhouse stuff on here recently. Plus, if all this Lawrenceburg talk foments someones curiosity and gets him to grab the wife and kids and head to the Burg this spring, all the better. Right?

2/9/08, 7:05 PM   #28
FishBurger

A few more names from the 'Burg past:

Bill Dugger - Replaced Wayne Wolfe in the Chrysler powered #55

Bob Papoy

Mike Johnson - He was very good. He, Bowman, and Hess put on some great shows in the ealry 60's. Was later to take over Paragon.

Wayne Woodmansee

Audie Schwartz & Chick Hale - First guys I recall running wings. Didn't like 'em much then either. :wink

Bob Fuqua - Local (Osgood, IN) guy lost his life here.

Hugh Randall - Beautiful #25 sprinter out of Louisville. Killed in '62 at Langhorne driving relief for Bob Mathouser in the Vargo Offy.

Martin Kosat - Burned badly at the Little 500 one year.

Bobby Adamson (PA), Junior Morgan, and Wayne McGuire (KY) were not regulars here but often showed up for the big events and often taking home much of the bounty.

Carl Williams from K.C. - teamed with Dick Gaines in Dizz Wilson cars for awhile. Had a beautiful wife. Killed on a motorcycle as I recall.

I'll have to give this topic some thought. May recall a few more.

2/9/08, 7:30 PM   #29
ShaneMugavin57

Anyone remember the twin 100 lap feature for Sprints and Late models. Dad said he stood in victory lane after the second race many times and the track was still so tacky it would try and suck your shoes off.

2/9/08, 7:35 PM   #30
cecil98

Fish, I remember Papoy and Wayne Mcguire but, Wayne Woodmansee was before my time. He had been injured at the race bowl and out of racing back in the mid to late 50's. I saw Wayne a couple of years ago in a local pub here. We talked for quite a while. He used to race with my dad. He was 84 and doing very well health-wise at that time. I don't remember Audie Schwartz running "regularly" at the Burg. I know he made an occasional appearance. He bought the Black #5 Oakie Drout sprinter that Ross Smith drove to the championship down at the Burg. I saw him in it up at Eldora circa 1968. I was down there the night Fuqua died. I remember seeing Hugh Randall in a pale yellow car down there. I thought it had a red #80 on it but, it could've been #25 (loooong time ago!). It was one of the first cars down there with a sprint car style body on it. Mike Johnson drove a white dodge powered sprint car with a red #60 on it. Jim Bob drove that car after Mike moved on.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future