IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What race track is the toughest on motors
12/9/07, 9:34 PM   #31
Re: What race track is the toughest on motors
Onlydirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
Ok guys. Charlie Fisher (Fisher Racing Engines Plain City, OH) is our engine builder. I just called Charlie and asked him about our little debate here. I used Eldora and Williams Grove as an example but also asked about any "flat-foot track" vs. a track where you breathe the motor. Charlie said "by far" Eldora would be tougher on a motor than Williams Grove. He said by shutting the motor down in the turns you are allowing a cooling period. Parts that move faster for longer periods of time create more friction and heat than parts that get a reprieve from time to time (ala in the turns). As well, high banked tracks put a much greater load on the motor and drivetrain than flat or semi-banked tracks with similar surfaces. He also said that if he put two identical motors on his dyno and set one at a constant 8500rpm and took the other from 2000 to 8500rpm every 20 seconds, the one running continously at 8500 would wear out much quicker than the one being shut down. This guy has built World 100 winners, Kings Royal winners etc. Maybe your engine builder will tell you different but, I have a lot of confidence in Charlie. It would be interesting to hear how other top flight engine builders would weigh-in on this topic.

Told ya it ws about the physics (I didnt even think of the constant max Heat)!! You win Cecil :respect::checkered:

12/9/07, 9:55 PM   #32
tonyj

My background is diesel engines, but the same theory applies here. You could take a road tractor that runs 150,000 miles a year, versus a trash truck, LTL delivery, etc......the road tractor will last longer, & see less wear than the other two. High cyclical loads kill engines, whatever they are.

12/9/07, 10:09 PM   #33
Hawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
Ok guys. Charlie Fisher (Fisher Racing Engines Plain City, OH) is our engine builder. I just called Charlie and asked him about our little debate here. I used Eldora and Williams Grove as an example but also asked about any "flat-foot track" vs. a track where you breathe the motor. Charlie said "by far" Eldora would be tougher on a motor than Williams Grove. He said by shutting the motor down in the turns you are allowing a cooling period. Parts that move faster for longer periods of time create more friction and heat than parts that get a reprieve from time to time (ala in the turns). As well, high banked tracks put a much greater load on the motor and drivetrain than flat or semi-banked tracks with similar surfaces. He also said that if he put two identical motors on his dyno and set one at a constant 8500rpm and took the other from 2000 to 8500rpm every 20 seconds, the one running continously at 8500 would wear out much quicker than the one being shut down. This guy has built World 100 winners, Kings Royal winners etc. Maybe your engine builder will tell you different but, I have a lot of confidence in Charlie. It would be interesting to hear how other top flight engine builders would weigh-in on this topic.
Then my vote is for the Belleville Highbanks for both sprints and midgets. It makes Eldora look like a bullring....

12/10/07, 1:04 AM   #34
21sprint

I've seen alot of engine changes at Pevely!

12/10/07, 2:40 AM   #35
Enigma_4

i dont know about the eldora vs the gorve issue, yes eldora you are flat out, but at the grove you are on the hammer on the long straights, keep in mind the grove is a half on the inside, and its tight turns. i've seen a good bit of motors go at the grove then my years at eldora. just my 2cent for what its worth. cecil, i dont know of any Grove regulars that run fisher motors, the main motors are don otts, kriners, and ryder.

12/10/07, 7:57 AM   #36
cecil98

i dont know about the eldora vs the gorve issue, yes eldora you are flat out, but at the grove you are on the hammer on the long straights, keep in mind the grove is a half on the inside, and its tight turns. i've seen a good bit of motors go at the grove then my years at
eldora....Enigma4

I'll stick with Charlie on this one.

12/10/07, 8:41 AM   #37
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

I've been to 99% of the tracks mentioned so far and I can honestly say I have seen engines loose their smoke at every one of them. You know those engine builders work long and hard to pump all that smoke in those engines and then those pesky race drivers and their heavy right feet go out and let all the smoke out, doesn't seem fair. :rolling:

So...if I was the one who was paying the bill for the rebuild I would say the answer to the question which track is hardest on my engine would be the track where I was at when she blew. :thumb:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What race track is the toughest on motors