IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crate sprints?
12/5/12, 7:00 PM   #31
Re: Crate sprints?
Sprint63122

Since there is supposed to a lot of old 410's laying around that can not run with the newer high dollar motors why not run them with a 1.75" limit on the intake with a 14 inch right rear tire medium hard and a 10-12 left rear medium hard compound tire with a good wght limit with normal sized driver.No adjustments in drivers compartment and the real size fuel cells no dam midget tanks on them and alum wheels.Payout not top heavy but decent thru out the field.

12/5/12, 7:02 PM   #32
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan48moore View Post
I believe you are right in a sense. But horsepower is just a part of it. 300hp at 6500 rpm and 300hp at 8200 rpm is different. Also that is a big difference in money.

Posted via Mobile Device
The money was a little over kill on my post. Sorry. 6000 rpm rule might keep it together

Posted via Mobile Device

12/5/12, 11:57 PM   #33
Hotshoe65s

What is your guys opinion on a 604 or 602 gm crate sprint class like the late models are becoming successful with? That would keep motor costs down, and prolly save on tire costs and fuel costs. Plus maybe they could run starters so tracks don't spend as much time pushing cars off.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/6/12, 8:23 AM   #34
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

A lot in Indiana get buy building what they can afford to build and racing Paragon and some smaller tracks and adding to the team as they are able. Those Classifieds aren't all junk, Theres teams selling out (Whole or parting) In 09 there were some teams selling whole cars with motors for 10g and motors for far less. The whole 410 being standard makes for lots of motors and parts out there.

I have no dog in the fight and Im not quite sure what it would cost to put one together, have a few spares and race but most teams I know add over time, Take care of what they got and race for fun and competition.

I sure know one thing, I'd rather see a under powered non wing sprint class than Mini Sprints. Thats just me.

12/6/12, 9:05 AM   #35
backitin

602 crate engine is the answer, theres no way to police a policy of trusting a owner of not spending a fortune cheating on engine. A sealed crate engine is perfect, leave the starters off. If them engines can pull a big fat modified around with no trouble I'm sure they would be great in a sprintcar. If someone would like to put one together I'm available to drive it and prove my point.

12/6/12, 11:08 AM   #36
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Crate motors, sealed motors, limited motors, spec engines, all good philosophy until.....we FORGET ABOUT TECH!!! This past Sat. night at BRP Ocala Fl. for the World Crate Championship my buddy got DQ because the pistons were in the wrong holes....Yes the PISTONS in the wrong holes. A crate sealed engine, but they tore it down and everything was good but that and it cost him 10 grand...I applaud to the series and tech guy for catching that.....We also race a LIMITED sprint series here in Florida that was suppose to keep the cost down....SUPPOSE is the key word here...It did until (1) the series QUIT teching motors and (2) racers started getting SPECIAL parts and such. Now this series is done because of it.....on the limited side of it you have a small box you are put in and at ANY COST you can build within that box you do....If it cost 2 grand for a SPECIAL cam that some spent hours to find 4 more HP you have to spend it if you want to run up front cause these LIMITED motors only put out about 490 HP so EVERY EXTRA ounce of HP becomes an advantage....as I said it's done because in Sept. the series director was asked abbout teching motors and his response was "if we do that we will lose cars"...it went down hill from there...23-25 sprints to 10-13 sprints....SO whatever you do to cut the cost it is USELESS unless you TECH and you make the "CHEATING" harse enough you want dare think about it, like my Buddy....he lost 10 grand was suspended for a year from the series and a 2 grand fine.....WTG ...NESMITH CRATE LATEMODEL SERIES...

I am a promoter and series owner (midget/lightning/mini sprint) and am a firm believer on RULES and TECHING. Shocks, we have a shock package that works for everyone...any straight up shock (00lbs) any adjustable shock is (5lbs) per shock...any canister style shock is (10lbs) per shock...
Engine....MUST BE completely stock...have provisions to check that...weight...RR tire...FUEL....NO COCKPIT adjustments at all..PERIOD....

SO THIS WHOLE RANT IS AND CAN BE SOLVED BY TECH...305's ARE OUT OF HAND BECAUSE OF JUST THIS....

anytime you have a money guy that wants to sponsor a series or track that owns or races a car 9 out of 10 times they do it to seek and try to get a rules advantage or change to fit THEIR need...I know 1st hand about that and that person no longer races in my series....

So again any series with rules is ONLY as good as it's TECH

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: DAD, PatrickMead#13
12/6/12, 12:17 PM   #37
DAD

Back in the old small block chevy days. The pistons had offset pins and if you put them in backwards It raised the pistons up about I think .060" in the bore. Instant compression, just for screwing up, that really brings a little truth in the old saying "GREEN SIDE UP DAM!T".

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
12/6/12, 1:59 PM   #38
PatrickMead#13

The thing cool about this thread is there is definitely interest in it and so far, haven't seen anything negative about the idea. Tech is the key and it kept the "fun" in a series I ran a few years ago because everyone there knew that it was setups and the driver getting it done

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
12/6/12, 2:03 PM   #39
DAD

TEC? = KISS

Honest Dad himself

12/6/12, 3:21 PM   #40
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
TEC? = KISS

Honest Dad himself
Yes sir....

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crate sprints?