IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 1974 Tampa Sprints
11/17/07, 8:04 PM   #31
Re: 1974 Tampa Sprints
smith19

I've Seen Cliff Many Times At Tri State When I Was A Kid. Was He Involved In A Bad Crash In Pa. Or Am I Thinking Of Someone Else...

11/17/07, 10:38 PM   #32
groove grabber

It was actually there at Tampa, fuel line came loose, floorpan filled with fuel and ignited, Dad had to bail while still rolling down front straight. 2nd and 3rd degree burns from the waist down, One month in Tampa General, many skin grafts and lots of pain later he was out. That was in the New Gold Deuce, 1st race and brand new when it arrived, it was drug to the infield and it burnt to the ground.

Also hit Paragon front straight wall edge sideways and shattered his hip and pelvis.

give him a call, hes in i'll health and cant do much but loves to talk ole racing stories 618-439-4463

11/17/07, 11:25 PM   #33
Speedwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove grabber View Post
It was actually there at Tampa, fuel line came loose, floorpan filled with fuel and ignited, Dad had to bail while still rolling down front straight. 2nd and 3rd degree burns from the waist down, One month in Tampa General, many skin grafts and lots of pain later he was out. That was in the New Gold Deuce, 1st race and brand new when it arrived, it was drug to the infield and it burnt to the ground.

Also hit Paragon front straight wall edge sideways and shattered his hip and pelvis.

give him a call, hes in i'll health and cant do much but loves to talk ole racing stories 618-439-4463
I was at Paragon that day. Guess I'm getting old, as I remember it he dumped the car and landed on his side on top of the railroad ties on the inside of the frontchute. One of the verticles came up through the cockpit and got him - always amazed me that he wasn't killed that day.

11/18/07, 1:40 PM   #34
Blackduce

This is great stuff guys. Don't stop.

Lynn

11/18/07, 4:03 PM   #35
Pat O'Connor Fan

I went to 3 IMCA sprint car races at the old fairgrounds during the 1969 state fair. After one of those, we stopped at a restaurant where the truck and open trailer (remember those things??) for the gold 35 driven by Bobby Adamson was parked in their lot. The blinds for all of the front windows of the restaurant were closed, so my ex-wife decided she wanted to pose for a picture sitting in that sprint car. Just as I snapped the photo, someone opened the blinds. You should have seen my ex bail her fanny out of that sprint car in one big hurry. When we went inside, we noticed one table of obviously race crew guys really laughed at her!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 1974 Tampa Sprints