IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #31 4/13/21 1:46 PM
Originally Posted by CRA91:
Charles,
As I type this I'm looking at the sequence photos of the Hewitt and McSpadden crash at Eldora on my wall,definitely a nasty crash.

Here's a little story about the aftermath of the crash,
When Jack came to our pit after the crash to apologize he says to me and my father " I can't believe you guys aren't kicking my ass right now" to which I replied that I'd seen him fight before and didn't want to go that route. He says back "i'm knocked pretty silly right now you probably could get the best of me" And I told him that an injured animal is always at their most dangerous, to which we all laughed.

The year that happened was 1991,Jack drove a second car for us many times after that incident and became a good friend of mine and my fathers.

I was amazed by them two or three tours CRA pulled off. Almost three weeks of nearly daily racing from Colorado almost to PA and by how many car they brought. What also amazed me was the lack of local support. Almost like, We can't run against them guys. Of course IN was running a ton of winged at the time. That burnt out quick. One of the races I attended was Whitewater *Liberty IN* and Kerr won it but kinda put Leland in the wall also. They weren't happy.

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: jonboat15, TNRustler
CRA91 (Offline)
  #32 4/13/21 2:01 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
I was amazed by them two or three tours CRA pulled off. Almost three weeks of nearly daily racing from Colorado almost to PA and by how many car they brought. What also amazed me was the lack of local support. Almost like, We can't run against them guys. Of course IN was running a ton of winged at the time. That burnt out quick. One of the races I attended was Whitewater *Liberty IN* and Kerr won it but kinda put Leland in the wall also. They weren't happy.
No we wasn't very happy with Kerr on that deal, he pretty much drove right over the left front and tore the axel out of the car. We didn't have a good tour that year, blew up a bunch of motors and destroyed a couple cars and that was the straw that broke the camels back. It was time to head home with our tail between our legs.

Terry James Jr.
6 Likes: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, jonboat15, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner, TNRustler
opnwhlmnd (Offline)
  #33 4/13/21 3:07 PM
Originally Posted by interpreter66:
What would your analogy be if the situation was reversed?
Which part are you asking about?

If T-Mez left the cushion and Timms hit him I would call it the same way. A racing incident with 24 cars on an 1/8th mile track.

The other part if T-Mez was living at home and mom and dad or someone else was renting his ride for him and Timms was racing for a living and trying to raise two daughters as a single parent I would naturally be a bigger fan of Timms.

Find a purpose in life ..... Be a bad example
4 Likes: Hammer, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ken Bonnema, oppweld
interpreter66 (Offline)
  #34 4/13/21 8:07 PM
So if you race for a living it’s more acceptable,thanks for the reply
4 Likes: ISF, Phylo82, tirespinner, trackprep
Pitdad (Offline)
  #35 4/13/21 8:24 PM
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd:
Which part are you asking about?

If T-Mez left the cushion and Timms hit him I would call it the same way. A racing incident with 24 cars on an 1/8th mile track.

The other part if T-Mez was living at home and mom and dad or someone else was renting his ride for him and Timms was racing for a living and trying to raise two daughters as a single parent I would naturally be a bigger fan of Timms.
I was kinda with you up until this take. Racing for a living doesn't give you the right to run over a local, but that's usually the attitude (that locals are just cannon fodder).

Now if you want to tell me that Timms shouldn't be out there with USAC National guys, I wouldn't argue that at all. He's young. He's talented. He's got just as good a racing pedigree as any driver, but he is probably a bit over his head running USAC National. But that's USAC's fault for letting every local micro and POWRi guy enter. Sure, it sounded great to have 44 cars sign in the back gate, but the quality of racing wasn't that much better for it. We all seem to want to wax poetically about "the good ol' days", but back in those good old days, USAC didn't let just everyone enter.

Stick to the argument that 24 cars shouldn't have been on an 1/8th mile. I'm with you on that.
5 Likes: flagboy55, interpreter66, ISF, Phylo82, PIT CART
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #36 4/14/21 12:04 AM
Let’s face it If Thomas says “I made a mistake and I apologize “ in the interview, this isn’t as big a deal as it has become. We all love a great TMEZ quote but this wasn’t that spot
5 Likes: cws9, erich45, Phylo82, rick42, spicoli
TQ29m (Online)
  #37 4/14/21 1:18 PM
Originally Posted by flagboy55:
Let’s face it If Thomas says “I made a mistake and I apologize “ in the interview, this isn’t as big a deal as it has become. We all love a great TMEZ quote but this wasn’t that spot
If a guy doesn't make a habit of it, it is a part of racing on dirt, just developed to a fine art by some, those others, in my day, were called "slingers", the I don't think this'll come out good kind. Didn't know, hadn't heard if anyone else had heard that dirt track version.

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!