IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
2/9/08, 7:37 PM   #31
Re: Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
ShaneMugavin57

:checkered:

2/9/08, 7:41 PM   #32
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneMugavin57 View Post
Anyone remember the twin 100 lap feature for Sprints and Late models. Dad said he stood in victory lane after the second race many times and the track was still so tacky it would try and suck your shoes off.
I remember the 100 lappers, Shane. The last one I saw, Ross Smith won the sprint car race. Sheldon Kinser led most of the race in Brewer's red #14 Cadillac powered car but lost a driveline and Ross went on to win it in the Black #5 Oakie Drout Spl. Paid a $1000 back then. Big Bucks!!!

Earl Smith, Bruce Gould and Ross Smith were the hot dogs in the stockers back then. Ross did double duty every week. You would get hit in the chest with big clods of mud during the feature back then!!

PS..Shane, I remember watching your dad race a white Pontiac late model with an orange #57 on it out at Tri-County Speedway when it first opened in 1968. I was in Jr. High.

2/9/08, 10:00 PM   #33
smith19

Well Here's Some Of The 70's Bunch...bob Kinser, Dick Gaines, Calvin Gilstrap, Johnny Krebs, Tom And Larry Goad, Bob Christian, Ron Dorsett, Marvin Deputy, Alan Barr, Nick Naber, Tom Brummet, Mike Johnson, Bernie Grabiel, Bob Papoy, Danny Smith, Kerry Norris, Mike Blake, Ron Ennis,randy Kinser,tony Solaminto, Leon Thickstun, Larry Miller, Danny Milburn And Dean Gummer.....can Anyone Add To This List ?

2/9/08, 10:20 PM   #34
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Wilkerson

2/9/08, 10:29 PM   #35
Danny Burton

Well, I've learned that Cecil is younger than me, but then there are a lot of people on this board that are younger than me. :O:

How about Orval Yeadon? Didn't he run over there? Bobby Black? No one mentioned Jay Wyatt yet? Mr. Staab?

Cecil and Marv named most of the guys I can recall. If I had a favorite it would have been Roy Robbins, from Louisville, KY.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

2/9/08, 10:33 PM   #36
FishBurger

Kerry Norris? Man, I'm so old that I remember when his dad, Dave Norris, was scaring the bejeebers out of me running with the modifieds/sprints in a little yellow midget. Dave was right up there with Aldo Andretti, Ralph Liguori, and Larry Kirkpatrick in the "thrill a lap" club. Bud Holmes from Indianapolis was a driver who later took over the promoting chores (only 1 year, I think) and nearly ruined the place forever. Don Nordhorn, super nice guy, was another good one who come over from Evansville quite often before he started running with USAC. I see him once in awhile at the Eldora 4 Crown. Going back a bit further (early 60's???), I remember a "Wild Bill" Saylee who missed the feetch on a late season Sunday afternoon race on the half-mile. Soooo, he and his cohorts pushed his car out on the track at the flagstand just as the field was coming through turn 4. I don't think he ever ran there again.

Now skip to the next post if you're a stock car hater. But, I have to tell you there was some great racing back in the 60's & 70's, ("Popcorn, get those classic cars out here"). Previously mentioned John Mugavin, Earl Smith, Bruce Gould, and Ross Smith along with Chuck McWilliams, Rodney Combs, Billy Teegarden, Baldy McLaren, Don Lamb, Denny Harris (Jeff's dad), Larry Moore, Whitey Freeman and others were exciting to watch.

2/9/08, 10:38 PM   #37
Danny Burton

I'd forgotten Dave. :headbang Marv, you'll be glad to know that Dave and his wife spend most of their time in Florida now. He called me about a year ago, just to talk. It was a treat. Kerry works on that old truck of mine whenever it needs his attention.

I just remembered an old modified #96 with a Studebaker engine, as I recall. Seems like the driver's name was Schmidt? Who can help? This would have been the early 60's.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

2/9/08, 11:36 PM   #38
smith19

chuck, i left butch out on pupose. i thought he might come on here and raise hell..:rolling. he also drove the old #19

2/10/08, 12:05 PM   #39
ShaneMugavin57

Funny that you mention Popcorn Marv, Dad use to say my older brother and sister thought the last words of the National Anthem were "come on Popcorn get those cars on the track"

2/10/08, 12:52 PM   #40
cecil98

Popcorn was also the track electrician. He was the master of "Jerry-rigging" and finally was electrocuted down at the Burg. My dad also hit him with his race car but, he survived that one.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future