IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bye bye Goodyear, AGAIN, WoO to discontunue use
8/17/12, 1:32 PM   #31
Re: Bye bye Goodyear, AGAIN, WoO to discontunue u
schwarzracen27

I think you have a "open tire rule". Kind of whats been stated before, you can have a minimum durameter spec, and a 1 tire per nite rule, qualify, run heat, and feature on same tire(s), or run a used tire(s) in the heat. Ways to help keep tire cost down as well as give the racer some options as to what tire to run.

8/17/12, 1:33 PM   #32
D.O.

Look for American Racer to become the new WoO tire.

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
8/17/12, 4:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Since these tire wars started, I always wondered why this scenerio wouldn't work. Say USAC wants $30,000 dollars (or whatever figure) from Hoosier. Why can't they get 10K from Hoosier, 10K from Goodyear and 10K from American Racer. The tires from all brands must Durometer between certain numbers to be legal. And may the best tire or tire deals win.
That seems like a win-win to me. USAC covers some operating cost from tire money and the Teams win with tire competition..

I guess the tire companies would want a monopoly so they don't have to work for their money...I don't know !!!
Its way to political. 1 company puts $10,000 in someones pocket and vamoosh that durameter number changes, or completely goes away. I wonder how many people even know what a durometer looks like? I have helped a series that did durometer tires. The tires they were using were about 3 years old. I can tell you that as the different batches of tires came in, we found different readings. Unfortunatly with this new series, they did not find out until the 2nd shipment showed up at the track. I really remember that night took over 3 hours to figure out who won. It was a mess. P.S. this was one of the big 3. Not throwing any stones at them, you just have to have all your ducks in a row.

1 member likes this post: Pine
8/17/12, 4:46 PM   #34
treecitytornado

Yes some of the new HT2 Hoosiers are quite a bit softer than others. I durometer everyone I use.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/17/12, 5:19 PM   #35
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
Look for American Racer to become the new WoO tire.
So about how much money are we talking about for AR to become the official WoO tire next year? Anyone have a ballpark number?

8/19/12, 7:30 PM   #36
rataz

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 7

AR are the spec tyre supplier for the World Series Sprintcars in Australia this coming season. 1st time in a very long time it hasnt been Hoosier. It seems some of the drivers are not happy about it either.

8/20/12, 3:08 AM   #37
JEFFSTOY

i AGREE run what you brung. if it aint the right compound try another. same as having to bye another as the one u brought with u???????????????????

8/20/12, 9:13 AM   #38
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
"Spec Tires" do not save teams money. It may just allow them to spend more money somewhere else on the car. I always laugh when I read people talking about this tire or that tire will get x amount of races out of it. Then I show up to the track and the guy that wins put on a brand new tire that night and its now junk. The only thing a "spec tire" does is put more money in the Promotor or track owners hands.
The top teams still put a new tire on everynight. Don't matter if it is a RD12 or a D3. And if you want to beat them, no matter your budget, you have to do the same. No money savings.
Last edited by spankytoo; 8/20/12 at 9:15 AM.

2 members like this post: 767, koolaid89
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bye bye Goodyear, AGAIN, WoO to discontunue use