IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
berks co (Offline)
  #31 5/30/13 9:56 AM
If the track surface is good. SUSKY could be the race of the eastern tour. I feel susky will be better then the Port. Any body else remember the CRA tour stops at Susky?

Daniel Cohen
2 Likes: cowboyhar69, davidm
racen857 (Offline)
  #32 5/30/13 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=cowboyhar69;333589]I heard good things about Port Royal (wet and a racy little joint) from HAR at the USAC show last year.QUOTE]

(LIttle) is not the name for it a very true 1/2 mile.

And the track has been reworked over the winter. turn 3and 4 has been widened to match the rest of the track, witch used to narrow at certain points. That has all been fixed for this year. The track is now the same all the way around. These changes have made it faster for sure than last year. 4 times this season the track record has been broken and a time that was set by Tyler Walker BEFORE the weight rules took affect. Tyler's record was 15.652 it is now uder 15.4

Erdley set a new one-lap track record in his heat, posting a time of 15.634 seconds

In sprint warm ups, though not competitive under the clock, drivers Blaney, Dewease, Davey Sammons and Hodnett all posted times under Walker’s one lap record with Blaney putting up a 15.327.

Ty (Offline)
  #33 5/30/13 11:26 AM
The two times I was at Susky in the last two years, it's been blowing dust in hot laps already. The surface is a combination of small rocks, and larger rocks, mixed in with some clay (if you can call it that). I used to love going to Susky back in the 90's but it hasn't been upgraded in so long. Port is a nice facility with good racing... if only Susky could get a half decent surface for the USAC show, it'll be good. Path Valley WILL be the show of the week though.
davidm (Offline)
  #34 5/30/13 12:52 PM
Susky put down so new clay and it not as bad as it used to be. Place it a bit rustic, but if they give USAC a track like this it could be quite a show.

From April 13th.

2 Likes: cowboyhar69, jim goerge
racen857 (Offline)
  #35 5/30/13 1:18 PM
I might agree with the comment that Path valley maybe the best race of the week too,... thats why I'm going. But seeing a race at Port I know it will be very fast and a great race.

However my father with the never forget anything brain reminded me that when the CRA ran wingless there it was BORING at best.

I remember the race because it was wingless and it was my first wingless race, but other than that I don't remember much about it.

On the flip side Path valley was a new track back then. They figured they had the best track in the state because it did not get dusty there. While running 2 classes of 4 cylinder stock cars and mini sprints. I do remember the 410 winged sprints running there back then and you could hardly see the cars on the track it was so dusty. With that all said I belive they have gotten much better at prepairing the track surface for the bigger cars now.
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #36 5/30/13 1:23 PM
Yeah, his referral to racy "little" joint was just a figure of speech. Was also told Port Royal had some similarities to Terre Haute...and when The Action Track is right it is great.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
racen857 (Offline)
  #37 5/30/13 2:12 PM
Yes. I figured it was. But could not miss the chance.

Well many have argued for years and will continue to do it about witch track is the best. I have been to alot. Port royal, the Big E, Haggerstown, Path Valley, Susky, Clinton county, Lincoln, Winber, ect.

If you want big and fast Port Royal in my mind is where you go. If you measure the Big E would probley fit inside of Port track surface, but it's always talked about be so fast because of the lap times. It is a small 1/2 mile the measurements would prove it. But all that put aside every track listed has good features and bad. The racing all depends on the dirt or clay and the weather and many other uncontrolable features that affect it.
racen857 (Offline)
  #38 5/30/13 2:13 PM
Right now I am looking forward to the Eastern storm and then on to Indiana sprint week.