IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Any truth in the rumblings about a possible USAC pavement SC change for 2008?
12/15/07, 1:41 PM   #31
Re: Any truth in the rumblings about a possible USAC pavement SC change for 2008?
GeoffDodge

i agree fully on the promotion part. i believe that the sanctioning body needs to take on some of the responsibility to help promote the races. after all if a promoter cannot make money in the venture, it will be increasingly difficult to find people willing to shoulder the task of putting on the events. hopefully kevin miller can help in this department, however i think its gonna take a lot more than the efforts of a few.

12/15/07, 1:49 PM   #32
Re: Any truth in the rumblings about a possible USAC pavement SC change for 2008?
LRP36

Jim you need to relax here buddy. This is a "message board" where people convey there ideas and thoughts and yes maybe some of it is fantasy. But to be completely honest with you the existing tracks weren't trying to get rid of the "real" silver crown cars. It was the juggernaut called NASCAR that wanted to get rid of them! Hence Bill France heading up the ******** that they now call a silver crown car. Now look what has happened with the passing of Bill France! You find yourself in the same situation as all of the owners of the old cars that didn't step up and shove out a ridiculous amount of money for theses new cars. Now to say that none of us has a dime invested into these cars, well that could be the farthest from the truth. Now we may not own these cars but most of us either have alot of blood sweat and tears involved with these cars over the years. The others as fans have money invested in the form of the almighty entertainment dollar! Now for USAC to keep changing the formula for how this division will operate is going to hurt fan base and hurt the future of this division as a whole. Whether it be under the old cars or the new cars or to make everyone happy by running both style of cars! I for one would hope that there can be a happy medium reached and we will see all three different cars ran! As we all know that is what shouldve happened in the first place but we can't change the past we can only hope to move forward in a positive direction and hope that the greatest division in the history of USAC will once again and thrive and be just as strong as it used to be! You don't have to go that far back to see how strong of a division it was when we were drawing 40 plus cars to Phoenix and IRP and so on! There are alot of the older cars out there collecting dust that need to be showcased in front of the fans to get USAC back to where it used to be. Would TV help? Yes it would but it has to be the right TV package not the bs that they call a TV pakage right now! I think ESPN would like to show more sports instead of dog shows!

12/15/07, 2:02 PM   #33
GGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlife517 View Post
Jim you need to relax here buddy. This is a "message board" where people convey there ideas and thoughts and yes maybe some of it is fantasy. But to be completely honest with you the existing tracks weren't trying to get rid of the "real" silver crown cars. It was the juggernaut called NASCAR that wanted to get rid of them! Hence Bill France heading up the ******** that they now call a silver crown car. Now look what has happened with the passing of Bill France! You find yourself in the same situation as all of the owners of the old cars that didn't step up and shove out a ridiculous amount of money for theses new cars. Now to say that none of us has a dime invested into these cars, well that could be the farthest from the truth. Now we may not own these cars but most of us either have alot of blood sweat and tears involved with these cars over the years. The others as fans have money invested in the form of the almighty entertainment dollar! Now for USAC to keep changing the formula for how this division will operate is going to hurt fan base and hurt the future of this division as a whole. Whether it be under the old cars or the new cars or to make everyone happy by running both style of cars! I for one would hope that there can be a happy medium reached and we will see all three different cars ran! As we all know that is what shouldve happened in the first place but we can't change the past we can only hope to move forward in a positive direction and hope that the greatest division in the history of USAC will once again and thrive and be just as strong as it used to be! You don't have to go that far back to see how strong of a division it was when we were drawing 40 plus cars to Phoenix and IRP and so on! There are alot of the older cars out there collecting dust that need to be showcased in front of the fans to get USAC back to where it used to be. Would TV help? Yes it would but it has to be the right TV package not the bs that they call a TV pakage right now! I think ESPN would like to show more sports instead of dog shows!
:nonwingfan: With the price of gas and travel expense we need to start over and think about how you get fans to start with. We need to
have races in the mid west and redraw our fan base and hope to get new fans that we can grow with. when you travel all over the USA and
hope that fans will follow (dreamers). We must grow our on fan base and then we can start making the circle bigger each year to add races
and gather more fans. I am sure the owners would be thrilled with a
opportunity to race at each track twice a year (nascar does correct)
We will see if a new face and new ideas can rebuild something that has been going on for 10 years.(more opportunity for fans to do other than race)

12/15/07, 2:16 PM   #34
Sprint63122

I will say the gentleman the put on the races at Memphis did a lot of promoting for it and I went down there to watch will say friday nights non-wing sprint car racing on the dirt the crowd was excellent and has for saturday's silver crown racing on the asphalt track there will say the crowd was way way bad and the racing on that track was not to good to watch.But what did the owners of the complex do they tore the dirt track out go figure here they might rebuild it who knows what will happen.Has for the old and new silver crown cars every owner both divisions has a lot of money invested in them hope it works out for everybody and they can race both cars therefore providing more of this type of racing to watch.The three races that were on tv from gateway was all great races to see every one was one on the last lap close competion.I keep on hearing that they would like to run a couple of the dirt tracks more than once my question is would the new style cars be able to run on dirt to so they could have a old silver crown car series for dirt and asphalt and a new gold crown series for the new car on the dirt and asphalt to just a thought.The only other thing I would like to see done is to have one car for both types of track types so they would not have to have mutilple car types cutting costs to run they used to run one car on both types of tracks a long time ago wish they would do the same thing for the sprints to one car both type of tracks.

12/15/07, 2:29 PM   #35
RACEMS41

Its all about money. What ever cars you run its about money. Promotors don't make money... no races. Fans can't afford to go to the races ...no races. This whole thing is based on that.
As far as tv goes you need to get more info on that. You don't just call up and get tv on any network. When I said get in the real world you all need to get facts before you post and not deal in supposition and opinion. Only facts count. By the way I like dog shows.

12/15/07, 2:54 PM   #36
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEMS41 View Post
You guys kill me. It's time to come up from the basement, take your hands out of your pants, turn the lights on and join the real world. Not one of you has a dime invested but all talk like you have the answers. Your "FANTASY" is bull. Most of these tracks do not want us. Why.... ? Because we don't draw fans. We lost most of the old tracks before the new gen cars came about. Roger Johnson put a great deal of effort in a Silver Crown promotion and got about 200 paid at Memphis. Phoenix and Millwaukee were on and off before the new gen cars. Gateway and on and on.
This isn't monopoly money you "POSERS" (posters) are talking about....It's real cash that hard working owners are spending on any of these cars.
Before somebody jumps on the PRA thing I will address that. If USAC with 52 years of experience couldn't make the old cars work how could someone else? Low car counts, high travel expense, high tire bills and low purses doesn't make for easy success. I admire them for trying but it was an uphill battle to say the least.
I look forward to our meeting on Monday maybe some positive light will be shed.
I for one of a few put my money where my mouth is. I have one Beast pavement Silver Crown car with 7 races on it and two Riley New Generation Silver Crown cars.
Kevin Miller and Jason Smith are bright men I am confident that we will go forward.
I am not afraid to sign my name.
JIM PATERNOSTER
USAC Silver Crown #41 owner
I agree with several people here Jim this is a messege board and all of this is just fodder to feed the lust we have for racing. Do I have the magic answer, No, do you, NO. It is just a way for us to air our grievences about the dwindling fan base this series has and the seemingly bad way the series is run. I was someoen who got wrapped up in the USAC is best idea until I stepped back and realized USAC has alot of problems going on in it. I hope they have been able start a clean up and reorganization that is way over due. If our ideas posted here would actually fix all the problems going on in the Silver Crown, do you actually think we would be as how did you put it: In the basement with our hands in our pockets? NO we would be employed by USAC and fixing the series. We aren't that so calm down.

Good for you to sign your name but don't try to shame the rest of us that decide not to.

12/15/07, 6:42 PM   #37
D.O.

USAC has open their eyes and thoughts from the top down. Kevin Milller has used the words Marketing & Promotion and USAC. We all want the best SIlver Crown series we can get. Sure this is a message board and people with nothing involved can offer their dreams or thoughts and others can pick on those thoughts but we all know that a lot of people including USAC read what others are think here. One post isn't going to change it all but others can read and maybe some of it might get brought up in the meeting.

Silver Crown isn't going to get fix in one meeting but the owners will get the chance for input. When is the last time that's happen other then their small divison reps meet.

Remember it was said at the start of the new cars that Bill France and NASCAR was the money and input behind the new deal. All sounded good coming from NASCAR. NASCAR did the deal so Bill France would have something to do at NASCAR. Lots of folkes said at the time that when Billy dies, there goes the series. The plug would be pulled and it would die a sudden death. NASCAR has no problem with dumping good race cars, look at the COT for both series.
With all the new cars for sale by Foyt, Wayne R and Keading already what is left? Not much. USAC can't just say no to the new cars because, NHRA dumped pro stock trucks and still is in lawsuits over that. So USAC has to be carefull to.

The good news is USAC is changing it's way of doing things starting a few weeks ago with a new prez and putting some folkes out the door.
I think that USAC's board of directors will give the new deal at USAC a clean sheet of paper to do whatever is needed to fix their problems.

Time will tell as we all are hearing the talk and we are about to see if it's real or BS.

:dologob:

12/15/07, 11:40 PM   #38
Anderson36

Jim,

I don't have an alliance with one certain group or the other. I run wherever my budget allows. Your views of what these other "possers" have to say is your own opinion, but I will tell you one thing that you apparently didn't manage to realize and that is the fact that these people you call "possers" are mainly USAC fans AND these "possers" pay at the front gate to watch most of these USAC races.

This same type of subject has been discussed on another message board regarding the club we mainly race with. I took notice of the things these "possers" had to say because THEY are the ones you have to entertain and if you don't keep them entertained then it's pretty obvious what the end result will be.

So keep in mind that you telling them to come out of the basement and basically driving home the point that they don't have any money invested which automatically makes their opinions not matter is pretty far from the truth. Owners, promotors, drivers and anyone else who relies on this money coming in the FRONT gate should listen to the concerns of these people. Not saying that everything should be made to suit each fan, but these are legitimate gripes from current fans that NO organization in the country can afford to lose.

Jim Anderson
UMARA National Midget #36
Joliet, Illinois

everything short of my phone number.. go easy on me!!!

12/15/07, 11:44 PM   #39
Sprint63122

Very well put Mr. Anderson you can see the whole picture here.I am a paying fan have helped people keep there cars on the track to race and would like to see the silver crown series grow and I also realize that it will not happen quickly but hoping over time things can get straightened out and then prosper.

12/15/07, 11:48 PM   #40
Anderson36

agreed Sprint63122, you would show some patience as a paying customer as long as you saw some concern on USAC's end to right the ship.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Any truth in the rumblings about a possible USAC pavement SC change for 2008?