IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Interesting night at DuQuoin
9/8/10, 6:38 PM   #31
Re: Interesting night at DuQuoin
mortboyz

While he didn't move forward a whole lot, Brad Kuhn/Ricky Nix 43 sure ran his own lane above the groove in 1 & 2 most of the night.
Entertained me.....:2:

9/8/10, 7:33 PM   #32
petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
I can't remember...
What was the deal the year Tobias won at DuQuoin at night?

Did it rain all day or what? I just remember that there was a cushion and he rode it all the way to the wall and to the win.
The initial race day was rained out and the decision was made to run it at night the following Saturday since the track had just had lights put up. We hadn't been to DuQuoin for 6 years and I said we need to go check this out. It was pretty cool temperature wise, I needed to wear a jacket at the end of the night. I don't know if the track retained it's moisture from the rainout or if they just watered it a lot but it was just beautiful all night long. Roger Rager was the first to crack the 29 second barrier then Teddy Beach wound up setting quick time. Some say it was the greatest race on a mile ever as Tobias came from like 33rd to win it.

9/8/10, 9:00 PM   #33
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

Personally, i think Duquoin and all the miles need a better surface to pass on, but Indy's race this year had quite a bit of passing which i was very surprised to see considering of all three tracks Duquoin is more banked, and more of a racetrack than either of the other two. I for one do like the 51 lap pit stop because it changes things up, but it would make it much more of a race if there was still surface to get grip on. Group qualifying sucks and USAC needs to stop running the cars like this. To me the race is much like the Nascar All-star race with it having segments and all. I'm 21 and have been watching the silver crown cars since I was a kid and there needs to be change and maybe they could stop this great series from ending.

9/8/10, 9:30 PM   #34
ThePurple73

What makes this series great is that (untill recent times) the format hasn't changed a lot.

I think people like seeing 100 laps. It gives plenty of time for things to happen. Part of the excitement is who's tires are going to go bad, who is going to run out of fuel, the strategy involved with racing harder or when to make a move. Who can get something going in another groove. Roll cages, drivers nets, arm and head restraints and better seats were great changes for safetys sake. The cars are perfect for the type of racing they were designed for.

I think to a degree since the DuQuoin track is raced on rarely through the year you probably have to deal with what you are given. I don't know about weather in DuQuoin but we have had about 2 straight months of 90+ degree weather. That may have an impact the track also compared to conditions some other years.
Last edited by ThePurple73; 9/8/10 at 9:50 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/8/10, 9:40 PM   #35
Speedwrench

Question. Aren't Hoosier tires required per USAC in SC or does that not apply to this division? Just wondering how someone running American Racer got in?

9/8/10, 11:55 PM   #36
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwrench View Post
Question. Aren't Hoosier tires required per USAC in SC or does that not apply to this division? Just wondering how someone running American Racer got in?
In looking at the USAC rule book, Appendix C pages 5-6 talks about tires. No specific tire is listed.

http://www.usacracing.com/assets/fil...ule_book_3.pdf

To answer an earlier question concerning push starting. Page 12, 1206 C states that "any car requiring a push start at the start of an event will be placed at the rear of the starting field".

On the entry form for the DuQuoin race it states that either the American Racer or Hoosier is acceptable.

http://www.usacracing.com/assets/fil...oin_9-5-10.pdf

I hope this helps.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

9/9/10, 1:20 AM   #37
SC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple73 View Post
The #90 silver crown car is the best looking in my book, its classic. Is the number painted on or is that decals? If it's paint its great.

I think the #90 caught them sleeping on those final laps and I thought he went low (lower even) and surprised them.
Thanks for the kind words about the car. The Gold Leaf is paint, I believe. They just had it redone a few weeks ago.

Johnny caught 3 on the high side and then a few going low. His outside move was classic. Greg Staab was crewing for us, and he was amazed at the move. We were hoping someone caught it on video.

I am also thankful that Bob Sergeant is able to continue the shows on the 1-mile dirt. I don't like the split 50-lap format, but it is better than no show at all. I hope they go back to the traditional 100 laps for next year. Most of the people in the stands that I talked to were completely unaware of what was going on.

Trust me that DuQuoin made a lot of money on beer sales on a warm night under the beautiful blue skies. From my vantage point high up in the stands with the spotters, the beer was flowing among the fans. Everyone was well mannered, and they were enjoying the brews.

Sharon
USAC Silver Crown #90
http://www.coolfitwear.com

9/9/10, 1:48 AM   #38
ThePurple73

It definately looks great, thanks for the up close look at the number paint.

That is definately what a race car is supposed to look like!

Unique car color and the number really compliments it.

9/9/10, 3:00 AM   #39
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

anybody have pics of the car tobias won in?
Posted via Mobile Device

9/9/10, 9:00 AM   #40
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1jackhewittfan View Post
anybody have pics of the car tobias won in?
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

There's a small pic of it about half way down the page.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Interesting night at DuQuoin