IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac/boss/nonwing
9/15/16, 4:54 PM   #31
Re: Usac/boss/nonwing
BrentTFunk

Charles, what USAC races have you seen where there wasn't much passing? Gas City and Kokomo Sprintweek races had tons of passing and one photo finish, and one had a winner from the tail. Like I said I respect all drivers, but I will take a show where there is close racing no matter how many cars are there.I have seen great races where there were only 14 cars, and snoozers when there were 50. Have also seen it the other way around.I think both do a good job. This is a niche sport, and both cover a different part of it.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge, oppweld
9/15/16, 5:09 PM   #32
JoshHanson18

Race Count This Year: 19

I'd just be happy to see a non-wing sprint car race within 3 hours of where I live in Chicagoland. We've got a crate non-wing series near the IL/WI border, but no 360s or 410s anywhere in the area. There was one WAR series race 3.5 hours away at Jacksonville, and then Kokomo is the next best thing at 3 hours. I'd love to see USAC venture into Illinois just a bit for at least one weekend.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, MIracing, oppweld
9/15/16, 5:14 PM   #33
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Charles, what USAC races have you seen where there wasn't much passing? Gas City and Kokomo Sprintweek races had tons of passing and one photo finish, and one had a winner from the tail. Like I said I respect all drivers, but I will take a show where there is close racing no matter how many cars are there.I have seen great races where there were only 14 cars, and snoozers when there were 50. Have also seen it the other way around.I think both do a good job. This is a niche sport, and both cover a different part of it.

We're trying to say the same thing (I Think) I love all the drivers, root for them all. I to have seen great racing with low counts. I said the racers make the race and the racing that happens every night.

BUT say, ATTICA, Atomic, Millstream were to book USAC over their regular show and 16 cars show, Are local wingers going to go NW to help fill the field and add racing vs say thier normal 30 car wing show? In Indiana its not normally a problem getting over 25-30 cars at a USAC show. But elsewhere, Without a co-sanction. They're not getting it, WAR, BOSS and a couple other series are feeders and have some guys that can run with USAC especially on their home tracks.

Maybe Im nit picking things, Not trying too. just pointing out the differences. I love both and even weekly shows. The best of the best have to come from somewhere. The more the merrier.

Chuck

9/15/16, 5:17 PM   #34
PJ Wright

I'll leave the "my favorite series is better than your favorite series" game to others. I hope to attend and enjoy both in 2017!
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, jim goerge, PIT CART
9/15/16, 7:23 PM   #35
Sprintcarfanatic

Usually a co-sanctioned show is show up points only.

I heard the reason why they quit the Buckeye Nationals was because tracks were supposed to switch nights instead of the same tracks keeping the Friday & Saturday nights.

2 guys that weren't there were Mike Miller & Drew Radar (sp). Also Carmen Perigo.

What ever happened to the Beabers ?

9/15/16, 7:31 PM   #36
CGardner46

I have run full time with the BOSS series the last 2 seasons. I also normally run a handful of USAC shows throughout the year. Its not that mine or anyones equipment isnt good enough infact I made the USAC a main at Eldora in the spring by winning my heat race. It comes down to cost of racing. I have absolutely nothing against USAC i enjoy racing with them when i get the chance because racing against that group of cars only makes you better, But as the driver and car owner of my own equipment it does not make since for me to buy a membership for only running a few races a year therefore it cost me money to just enter a USAC race. With the BOSS series it does not cost anything to race whether you are a member or not, the payout through the field is good all the way back and you even get paid for finishing in a transfer spot in your heat race, its not much but it atleast pays for the alcohol you burned during the race. If you are top in 15 points it pays $50 dollars more to not make the a main and $50 more to just start in the A main. I think its great that USAC has started coming up with heat race sponsors to give back to the drivers or car owners. With the open tire rule of BOSS it gives us an option to buy a $180 tire vs. $240 if we want to. I have nothing against USAC and me along with many of the other drivers in the BOSS would love to race with USAC more if the opportunity was available but as almost all of the BOSS drivers own their own cars and work many extra hours at work or even a second job just to do something we all love and are passionate for the BOSS series is the best option for us. I feel both series are great things and i hope both of them continue to grow and sprint car racing in itself continues to grow.

9/15/16, 8:31 PM   #37
BrentTFunk

Cody, I have never met you,but Sunday at Millstream before your mishap, you were really flying. Hope you didn't tear you or the car up too bad. Good luck the rest of the year

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
9/15/16, 9:42 PM   #38
CGardner46

Thanks Brent, took me a few days but I'm doing good now. We are trying to get something put together to finish the season

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester
9/16/16, 2:41 AM   #39
flagboy55

Anyone know when the last time USAC had less than 20 cars, cause I don't?

9/16/16, 6:52 AM   #40
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

21 http://usacracing.com/component/k2/i...n-thriller-hof

20 http://usacracing.com/component/k2/i...eason-at-eagle

Including a couple indiana races with 25 or less.

I think your taking what I said wrong. It's intimidating and difficult and without a co sanction or a area already rich with non wing. It's not that easy for USAC to go to new tracks. and have four heats like they do most shows in Indiana. Will most of the stars be there anyway? YES, Will fans not familiar with them or at least Non Wing racing come to see them? Can or is the racing just as good without the big count, CAN BE.

Not badmouthing anyone, I know everyone works hard to make what happens happen.

What you don't have so much in Boss is people moving here form OK, CA, AZ, AL, SD, Coming up from NM, I love that about USAC. I feel sprintweek and a few other shows are about as good as it gets.

There is a hell of a lot of variety from the region OH, PA, IN, WV in Boss, All getting action on different tracks, Which can only be a good thing. For awhile there there were a few father and son teams racing one another and a couple brothers. It's a series of small teams, most having full time jobs who all meet together and race at different tracks about four times a month.

I love the fact I got choices now, For years there were non non wing options in ohio to go see and a minimum 6hr round trip to see USAC was necessary for everywhere but Burg, Now I got some good shows to see within a couple hours several times a year.

Like I said, I choose which is closer, The racing can be great at either.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/16/16 at 6:56 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac/boss/nonwing