IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprints at Southern
11/30/14, 7:35 AM   #41
Re: Lightning Sprints at Southern
DAD

Bobby

A real berm would also be nice, I kinda of like watching the pros use it to their advantage during a race. That jump coming out of 4 did add a little excitement though. I like that reverse bank thing. The first year we raced there the track was a little more round with quite a bit more bank to it. It would work up a nice little cushion and Doug could get up on it and do some serious passing. Then they had a caution and they went out and ran the darned thing back down again. They restarted the race Doug went out to the cushion and it wasn't there.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/30/14 at 7:44 AM.

11/30/14, 7:45 AM   #42
bobby01

Dad
You are absolutely right about being the fastest and the least expensive race car to run.
( at a USMTS modified race this summer the lightning sprints, mini sprints or 1000 cc midgets or whatever you want to call them were 2 1/2 seconds faster. And I had spent less on my 04 R-1 complete than they did for rocker arms)
A lot of people think if I go get a tweaked out motor I can go beat so and so but in reality all it going to do is drive the cost of racing up. And when racing a particular class get,s to costly they will quit or go race something else. And I'm a prime example.
Bobby Layne

1 member likes this post: fish
11/30/14, 7:48 AM   #43
DAD

Bobby

I may have to re think your age. I don't know too many kids that would be up at this time in the AM posting on the IOW. You can tell us old folk by our posting times either real late at night or early in the morning. During the day I sit at my desk and nap, I just can't understand why I do that.

Honest Dad himself

11/30/14, 7:53 AM   #44
bobby01

I can relate but I have always got up early and then go to bed late.
I think doing this keeps both of us in are 40's.
Bobby

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/30/14, 8:01 AM   #45
DAD

Bobby

I think that good looking young girl you had with you at the track might have something to do with your youth. Enjoying life might help also, and no doubt giving driving lessons to a bunch of up and coming young kids couldn't hurt.

Keep up the good work.

Honest Dad himself

11/30/14, 8:15 AM   #46
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby01 View Post
Dad
You are absolutely right about being the fastest and the least expensive race car to run.
( at a USMTS modified race this summer the lightning sprints, mini sprints or 1000 cc midgets or whatever you want to call them were 2 1/2 seconds faster. And I had spent less on my 04 R-1 complete than they did for rocker arms)
A lot of people think if I go get a tweaked out motor I can go beat so and so but in reality all it going to do is drive the cost of racing up. And when racing a particular class get,s to costly they will quit or go race something else. And I'm a prime example.
Bobby Layne
Bobby

I guess racing with an 2004 R-1 might lead a newbie into thinking that you are cheating. An 2004 R-1 Yamaha is not supposed to out run a 2008 Kawasaki zx10R. The hardest person to teach anything to is a new guy fresh into racing. For some reason they think they have it all figured out, and most wont ask them fast guys anything. They just keep on spending money to make them rear wheels spin more and more and keep on moving back. I would bet were one of them to ask you a question about how to be fast you would be glad to help them or at least point them in the right direction, get them started and let them do a little thinking also. The closer you can keep them rear wheels to going as fast as the front wheels the faster you will be. Some people will spend $10,000.00 just to do this one simple thing with Davis Technologies. They don't have time to learn to do it themselves.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/30/14 at 9:11 AM.

11/30/14, 11:31 AM   #47
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Il

Did you pay any attention to that water truck, I could actually count the number of drops of water that thing put down on the race track.. I never could see anything come out of it period.

Honest Dad himself
It's frustrating, but this is primarily a kart event. And those guys run slicks, with no suspension. So I can understand why they would demand a "dirtsphalt" surface.

Oh well, it was a chance to smell race fuel, and see cars go in a circle in late November. So I'll take it.

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
11/30/14, 12:05 PM   #48
RoyaltonMiniSprint

Nice meeting you Bobby I'm the guy who hopes to come out west and race with you guys next year!! Couldn't believe you drove for the legendary Weld family in Sprint Cars!!

Kevin Sanders

12/1/14, 9:21 AM   #49
bobby01

Looking back it was a real honor to drive for Pappy Weld.
In life it,s easy not to see what you got till it gone. Still to this day I miss him and he,s be gone now since December of 1983.
Bobby Layne

4 members like this post: bn kleen, DAD, mc/rider, oldfan49
12/1/14, 1:07 PM   #50
DAD

Bobby

The fact that you once drove for Pappy Weld indicates that at sometime in your past you were considered to be a pretty good race car driver. The fact that you were racing with us at Du Quoin indicates that you are a true racer. I know of very few racers that after reaching the top of the so called ladder have then come back to race in a lower division, those that have are real racers in my book. Getting beat by you was our pleasure but be advised we still have you in our sites>>> it is like being a "gunslinger" there will always be them young guys coming up that want to say well I beat "Bobby Layne"! Keep on having fun and come on back east to give us a few more driving lessons.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/1/14 at 1:12 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprints at Southern