IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
2/10/08, 1:04 PM   #41
Re: Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
cecil98

Now skip to the next post if you're a stock car hater. But, I have to tell you there was some great racing back in the 60's & 70's, ("Popcorn, get those classic cars out here"). Previously mentioned John Mugavin, Earl Smith, Bruce Gould, and Ross Smith along with Chuck McWilliams, Rodney Combs, Billy Teegarden, Baldy McLaren, Don Lamb, Denny Harris (Jeff's dad), Larry Moore, Whitey Freeman and others were exciting to watch.....Fishburger

There were some great stock car races at the Burg back in the 60's. Ross Smith was tough to beat in Tom Soudrette's slant six Plymouth #44. There were a few nights when Ross would win both the sprint and stock features. Anybody remember the good old days of two classes? Speaking of Denny Harris. I watched him barrel roll down the front straight while he was hanging out of the drivers side window of the car. The car was actually rolling over on him. If ever I watched a man die before my eyes, that was it. But, he survived!!! He can still be found on Saturday nights down between turns 1 & 2 drinking beer and raising hell!:rolling

2/10/08, 1:37 PM   #42
FishBurger

A couple more from the 60's/70' era come to mind. Some of you here know Tim Caldwell from his help with various teams in the pit area. Tim's dad, Bob Caldwell raced a #4 and a #49 that I recall.

Kermit House #41 - Don't know if related to Tray House.

Doc Dawson #46 & Jerry Poland - Both later ran a lot of USAC.

Orville Yeadon #98 - Won the first 500 lapper at Eldora....yep, 500 laps for 33 cars. Larry Cannon #B4 won the 2nd and Don Nordhorn the 3rd and last.

Bobby Black - I think he was another of Danny B's Columbus guys.

Danny Bowlen - I remember the name. Think he was pretty good. Don't remember any other details.

Jon Peddie - From Madison, IN he drove a #19 but I don't remember if it was the Smith car or not. Chris??? He later moved into the Miss Madison hydroplane for awhile.

Disclaimer: Hey, I didn't start this thread. If this walk down memory lane bores you, blame Dave (fishnman). Also, don't hold me to the car numbers and any other details I have posted. While my memory is still excellent, it doesn't last as long as it once did. We're talking almost 50 years ago here my friends.

Time to get ready for Daytona qualifying (like Boss Bill said, "it's racing so I have to watch") and Hoosiers vs. Buckeyes.

2/10/08, 1:41 PM   #43
SPRINTCAR

You guys are leaving out one of the best L/M drivers, Pat Patrick, hell he won the World 100 didn't he? You got Joe Burdette, Bill Johnson and Larry Moore ran there for a while, a World 100 winner. Sprints, anyone remember Chub Snaebelt, Bob Caldwell, Frankie Mack. I was a kid and seen Dick Gaines driving Karl Kinser's car and it had a Radio station sponsor for Phoenix, Az. and hell I had never given it a thought that people way a there knew about sprint cars. I was in my own little world, it was great. :O:

2/10/08, 1:53 PM   #44
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Nah Pat Patrick never won the World 100, but he was the KING of Florence Speedway back in the day. A 4 time Spring 50 winner and a 2 time North South 100 winner. Not to mention numerous time track champion.

2/10/08, 1:56 PM   #45
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
Well Here's Some Of The 70's Bunch...bob Kinser, Dick Gaines, Calvin Gilstrap, Johnny Krebs, Tom And Larry Goad, Bob Christian, Ron Dorsett, Marvin Deputy, Alan Barr, Nick Naber, Tom Brummet, Mike Johnson, Bernie Grabiel, Bob Papoy, Danny Smith, Kerry Norris, Mike Blake, Ron Ennis,randy Kinser,tony Solaminto, Leon Thickstun, Larry Miller, Danny Milburn And Dean Gummer.....can Anyone Add To This List ?
Chris, most of these guys ran into the 80's because almost all of them were regulars at the Burg when I promoted.

I also left out Junior Smalley! Jr. was an excellent sprint car driver. He drove for a guy named Vern Kunkel (#4) when I had the track. Also, Bernie Greybeal drove for Butch Smith (#47) out of Frankfort, Ky before Kelly Kinser took over that ride. Alan Barr was another great sprint driver (we bought the car that I'm driving in my avatar from Alan Barr). He drove the red #66 owned by Jack French. Randy Kinser drove the white #7 owned by Dave Robinson and a guy by the name of Ed Angle (sp?) drove Dave's other car. At the time I was promoting, Mike Johnson was driving Dizz Wilson's white #71 for the most part but, Dick Gaines did run it a couple of times at the Burg in 1980. Tony Solomito drove for the Law Brothers (copper colored #77) and won the first three features of 1980 before Kerry Norris got red hot and dominated the rest of the season. Bob Kinser drove the Shields Lumber black #65.

2/10/08, 2:13 PM   #46
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
Well, I've learned that Cecil is younger than me, but then there are a lot of people on this board that are younger than me. :O:

How about Orval Yeadon? Didn't he run over there? Bobby Black? No one mentioned Jay Wyatt yet? Mr. Staab?

Cecil and Marv named most of the guys I can recall. If I had a favorite it would have been Roy Robbins, from Louisville, KY.
Bobby Black drove Mike Gross's black #86 sprinter for a while in the very early 80's. Larry Martin also drove that car at the Burg. It was a leffler chassis. Jay Wyatt was a legendary stock car driver in this area. He did most of his winning in Jim Cook's ZERO car (after Karl Kiser retired). I guess we can't forget Ralph Lathem and Nelson Stacey either. Ralph's son installed my granite counter tops this past fall. He saw the picture of our sprinter on the fridge and we wound up talking racing for two hours! He was touched that I remembered so much about his dad. Man, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the Cabs back in those days! I've gotten picky and selective in my old age! BTW, Danny, I'm 54 y/o

2/10/08, 9:21 PM   #47
smith19

Fish, Doc Dawson Drove #18 For Mac Clingan From The Toledo Area. Very Potent Combo. Also You Mention Larry Kirkpatrick. Larry Was Very Fast. He Was Killed At West Memphis (riverside Speedway). He Drove A White And Deglo Red #61. Include Johnny Coogan In The Aviators #50 To The Thrill A Lap Club. I Don't Recall Anyone Flipping More Cars In Usac In His Era.

2/10/08, 9:30 PM   #48
Dwight Clock

Dave Norris drove the Mead Chevy in USAC competition circa 1957. There is a nice picture of him in the car on page 208 of "Kings of the Hills", the Buzz Rose book about the AAA/USAC Midwest sprint car championships from 1946 to 1960.

2/10/08, 11:22 PM   #49
Danny Burton

Does anyone recall the ARCA race at the 'burg in about 1965 or '66? A guy named Paul Wensink (sp.?) won, I think. At least I recall him running very well. He had to be better on dirt, because I recall him being a backmarker at Salem when ARCA ran down there.

Closer to the present, who recalls the more recent ARCA misadventure at the 'burg? Keith?

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

2/11/08, 1:13 AM   #50
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 23
Race Count Last Year: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
Does anyone recall the ARCA race at the 'burg in about 1965 or '66? A guy named Paul Wensink (sp.?) won, I think. At least I recall him running very well. He had to be better on dirt, because I recall him being a backmarker at Salem when ARCA ran down there.

Closer to the present, who recalls the more recent ARCA misadventure at the 'burg? Keith?
The only ARCA Stock Race that I know of @ Lawrenceburg (so far):
Wednesday August 5, 1964 | Winner: Charlie Glotzbach (Edwardsville, Indiana), Car: 1964 Ford

ARCA Trucks July 2004:sleep::sleep:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future