IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown thoughts
8/26/24, 10:37 AM   #51
Re: Smackdown thoughts
BrentTFunk

My SmackDown thoughts. I had no problem with the track prep all 3 nights. It had a top and bottom all 3 nights. The top was not clear to the wall, because the track had a real cushion. If the top was against the wall, I think it would have been more bottom dominate. It is not like the guys were just rolling the bottom, they were pitching the cars into turn one. Reminded me of how Bryan Clauson used to run there.
I thought the racing was good all 3 nights. Although the crowd was a little light on Thursday, as it usually is, I thought the crowd was real good on Saturday. I got there at 1:30, and it was already getting crowded. I thought the event had a great atmosphere, and felt this year it took it even a step further.
Congrats to Melinda Stanbrough for her, and everyone who helps her. The auction adds to the event, and the amount of money this event has raised is impressive.
Some favorite parts of the weekend include heat races with real inverts, and on track performance every time you were on the track determines your position. You don't see that at many big events outside of Knoxville. A juiced-up track, instead of one groove around the top where you have to slide someone to pass.
No support classes. This showed a big event really doesn't need them. Nothing against any class.
I think sometimes, especially when people live in a virtual world, people forget to have fun. I think this event is FUN. From the tailgating to a quality band after the races on Friday, this event is fun. I talked to a lot of people over 3 days, and didn't talk to anyone who wasn't having fun.
Felt bad for KTJ on Saturday, but thought he showed class in how he handled a huge disappointment.
This race to me is a bargain too. Got a 3 day ticket in January for $90. It included a reserved seat and a pit pass. Car count was great. Shows were efficiently run each night. Not exactly sure what needs fixed.
My favorite part of the weekend was seeing a Brayden Clark race his way into the main on Saturday. Far from a high dollar team, I was happy for their family operation.
Hope everyone had fun. I can't imagine ever missing this race. I know it tore me up the 2 times I was in the hospital, and missed.
Thanks to everyone involved. From the staff at Kokomo Speedway. USAC, who despite all the gloom and doomers predictions, continue to produce quality shows with the best car counts in years. Elliotts Custom Trailers, for getting involved and elevating this event to what it has become. I am already ready for next year. Still a lot of good racing left this year though.

8/26/24, 1:57 PM   #52
The55

To tag onto your comments, I think folks forget how many races Clauson won with huggy pole. Cottle, Windom, KTJ, have all won races at Kokomo using the bottom. Grant wasn’t really running the bottom, he was in the middle of the track and I don’t recall ever seeing someone throw it that hard into the middle of the turn and make it work. Hats off to him for finding the fast line.

8/26/24, 3:40 PM   #53
Re: Smackdown thoughts
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Flo did a drone shot during hot laps a couple times. I was amazed how backed in the cars were. I mean completely sideways entering the turns. I've watched from all angles except three and four at Kokomo and never noticed that. Just that they and at that time just a few like cottle ran the bottom.

8/26/24, 10:15 PM   #54
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by The55 View Post
To tag onto your comments, I think folks forget how many races Clauson won with huggy pole. Cottle, Windom, KTJ, have all won races at Kokomo using the bottom. Grant wasn’t really running the bottom, he was in the middle of the track and I don’t recall ever seeing someone throw it that hard into the middle of the turn and make it work. Hats off to him for finding the fast line.
I hear ya. I was a fan of Gary Fisher in the Evan’s Bottle Shop #79 back in the day. Plus we’ve all seen blacked off nightmares where speeds were down 2 or 3 seconds a lap. Where if you missed the low line or got bumped out of it, you’d be extremely lucky if only one car passed you. This weekend was not that. Not even close to it. Track was fast and plenty of passes were made on the lip around 1&2.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
8/27/24, 10:24 PM   #55
Twister17

I hate to be a negative Nancy. Feature tracks shouldn’t be roughly a second faster than the best lap in the semi feature. It was nice seeing the event well supported by an ever dwindling contingent of Usac sprint car fans. Might as well have been a wing race with the lack of passing in the feature.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, dkdorkboy, OnTheHammer, progressive22
8/28/24, 9:06 AM   #56
captrat

Apparently there were a couple of different universes from which people were experiencing the same event.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, JarrettFarms73, mc/rider, TQ29m
8/28/24, 9:28 AM   #57
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister17 View Post
I hate to be a negative Nancy. Feature tracks shouldn’t be roughly a second faster than the best lap in the semi feature. It was nice seeing the event well supported by an ever dwindling contingent of Usac sprint car fans. Might as well have been a wing race with the lack of passing in the feature.
NO RICKY BOBBY!! YOU’RE NOT ON FIRE!!! Put your clothes back on!… PLEASE!

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown thoughts