IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
revjimk (Offline)
  #51 1/1/18 5:48 PM
This is what got me started, back in the 60s: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f3a28cc36f.jpg
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, dirtinmynachos, i love dirt track racing
Kydehart (Offline)
  #52 1/1/18 6:21 PM
Originally Posted by revjimk:
This is what got me started, back in the 60s: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f3a28cc36f.jpg
Those are sweet!
Backitin (Offline)
  #53 1/1/18 6:37 PM
Well, we moved from NYC to Shenandoah Valley of Virginny from 1960-66 (just south of Central Pa.) & I would bug my old man to take me to the dirt track races (the old coupes: jalopies, sportsmen, modifieds) In 1966 we moved back North, I went to 2 races on pavement & lost all interest. In 2010 I was visiting in upstate NYC, a friend gave me a Circle Track magazine that mentioned Central Pa. sprint scene. I was heading to southern Pa. the next day, looked for a race on the Internet (Clinton County, Pa, winged 360s, Gravel was just a beginner) When those cars accelerated out of the first turn, I was hooked. Next race for me was Sammy winning WG National Open
Took me a while to figure out I preferred wingless cars in a bullring... inspired by watching videos of Kokomo. Then I started going to Indiana...
"inspired by watching videos of Kokomo"
Wingless sprints on a great bullring. It gets no better when it comes to grass roots racing. Hasn't changed much because its damn near perfect. I used to love the big block mod's in the late 60's and early 70's. All the cars were different and didn't weight much more then a sprinter. Now they are huge heavy sail panels on wheels. Thank God a nonwing sprint is still what it has always been.
4 Likes: fish, oppweld, Stevensville Mike, WinglessLovers
dirtinmynachos (Offline)
  #54 1/1/18 8:58 PM
Originally Posted by toledo47:
I agree, I love going to different tracks! Its always a fun new experience. I've been to over 150, have even made it out to one in your home state Colorado for a race!
I just don't get why they would count places like Toledo Speedway or Salem Speedway as 4 separate tracks on 1 persons list...
On the TrackChaser main rankings there is a "Locations" column which shows how many unique places we have visited. If the track count bothers you, simply ignore it and look at the location count. Impressive numbers no matter how you look at them.

My brother thinks the same... that they shouldn't be counted more than once. Some people would argue that credit is deserved for seeing multiple track configurations. My opinion lies somewhere in between. One location on my list had a paved oval track that was converted to a temporary SODA off road truck and buggy circuit in the 80's. A completely different atmosphere. I would vote that counts as a second track, but where would I draw the line in other instances? It's not an easy call sometimes.

Years ago (before I joined), the TrackChasers group hashed out rules on how to count tracks. It was controversial, and a few members left the group and had their list of tracks removed from the site. The person who runs the group knows there is no perfect way to keep everyone happy, but the current method of counting tracks has been in place for awhile now and seems to be accepted. There are a number of reasons why a location is counted more than once - a change in track surface (asphalt/dirt), inner ovals and figure 8's within an outer oval, and a temporary road course on the site of an oval (as was the case with Toledo). Some examples are drastically different, while others seem trivial.

Earlier in this thread, I stated my count of 135, but nine of those are not recognized by the TC group, so you will see me listed with 126 tracks at 111 locations. It is what it is. Doesn't really bother me. I'm proud of my list either way. Recently however, we have been allowed to list non-countable track visits towards the bottom of our individual page.
My list: http://www.roamingtheraceways.com/ov...al.php?cid=162

The guys who have been to 1000 or more tracks have the means to travel almost every week of the year. One of them is Allan Brown, who sold his National Speedway Directory books at tracks across the country for many years. I wish I had his life!! I work 50 hours a week, but I manage to find a bleacher seat at a cool track as often as I can. I will say this... being part of the TC group has added a bit more fun to my hobby of being a race fan. And that's what really counts.
2 Likes: davidm, oppweld
WinglessLovers (Offline)
  #55 1/1/18 9:35 PM
My wife and I were able to attend 106 races this year up from 99 the previous year. We saw racing at 54 different tracks in 10 states and scored 26 new tracks to our list (see profile if interested in seeing the complete list). We also write for Hoseheads.com and moved to Indiana almost four years ago to be able to attend the best non-wing racing in the country on a regular basis. We visited Kokomo Speedway 14 times during 2017 and enjoyed every race there. Our three top races of 2017 were the USAC midgets at Macon (so much action you didn't know where to look), an awesome show. The USAC midget race at Susquehanna Speedway in PA was second with Justin Grant stealing the win on the last corner of the last lap as Spencer Bayston and Tanner Thorson ran each other to the limit on the last lap and both slid high in turn four. Tyler Courtney's first Kokomo win during Smackdown was a great race with him coming back from flipping earlier in the evening with Brady Bacon advancing from 18th to 2nd at the finish. As Mr. Goodnight stated earlier it was a good racing season with many quality shows witnessed.

Wishing everyone a healthy and Happy New Year and hoping that 2018 will be just as an exciting year of racing.

Bruce and Pat Eckel
10 Likes: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, davidm, dirtinmynachos, i love dirt track racing, Kydehart, mc/rider, oppweld, stp6237, TNRustler
beaner (Offline)
  #56 1/1/18 11:14 PM
Nice thread to help start the New Year out with happy racing thoughts and the sub-zero wind chills howling outside here in the Michigan Winter Wonderland.
Great times with family members and friends help me with my race-chasing around a full time job and family. 20 different race tracks across only 3 states this year with MI-IN-OH. 6 new tracks for me moves me near 130 total live tracks.
-Biggest year for rainouts took me from first time at Williams Grove-PA along with Route 66 and Tri-City in IL. Also first time attempt rain outs at Manistee Fairgrounds-MI (twice!) and Baer Field-IN Dirt.
My racing group travels around as STAC (Short Track Action Club) that I organized several years back to have some fun.
*Top races to remember in 2017:
-Any SOD race with Ryan Ruhl and Chad Blonde going at it. (Butler and Hartford among others)
-A fantastic drive by Chad Blonde at Thunderbird from deep in the field, bouncing off the 3-4 turn wall multiple times riding the cushion and then pulling off the last lap pass for the win!
-First Little 500 at Anderson. LOVED IT....nuff said!
-Shady Hill with Lexi Adgate's big Feature Win in the Mini-Sprint. (wing/non-wing show and she nearly had the 2nd feature win also)
-Montpelier USAC show with 3 car last-lap scramble with a last lap pass for win!
-Mansfield 3 Main class show ($5000 ea. LM-Wings-NW) Awesome rim riding and slide jobs in all classes with several big name travelers on hand.
-Midvale-OH Must See Racing sprints slicing and dicing.
-Any other night with my butt in the stands..HELL Tour, Indoor racing, Speedrome, Mottville, Springport, Merritt, IMS, Attica, Plymouth, I-96, Berlin Dirt, Oakshade, Eldora........

Happy New Year in 2018 and Safe Travels to and from the race track!!
P.S. Remember to take a newbie in 2018 and support the growth of our great sport !!
8 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, dirtinmynachos, i love dirt track racing, JarrettFarms73, Kydehart, Stevensville Mike, TNRustler
revjimk (Offline)
  #57 1/1/18 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by toledo47:
I agree, I love going to different tracks! Its always a fun new experience. I've been to over 150, have even made it out to one in your home state Colorado for a race!
I just don't get why they would count places like Toledo Speedway or Salem Speedway as 4 separate tracks on 1 persons list...
Which track in Colorado? Only one I've been to was Calhan (El Paso County Raceway), & it was boring follow the leader both times. When i lived in the mountains in the 80s & early 90s, i would see ads in the Denver papers for midgets at Lakeside amusement park track, but never went... I could kick myself now, no more racing there
revjimk (Offline)
  #58 1/1/18 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by dirtinmynachos:
On the TrackChaser main rankings there is a "Locations" column which shows how many unique places we have visited. If the track count bothers you, simply ignore it and look at the location count. Impressive numbers no matter how you look at them.

My brother thinks the same... that they shouldn't be counted more than once. Some people would argue that credit is deserved for seeing multiple track configurations. My opinion lies somewhere in between. One location on my list had a paved oval track that was converted to a temporary SODA off road truck and buggy circuit in the 80's. A completely different atmosphere. I would vote that counts as a second track, but where would I draw the line in other instances? It's not an easy call sometimes.

Years ago (before I joined), the TrackChasers group hashed out rules on how to count tracks. It was controversial, and a few members left the group and had their list of tracks removed from the site. The person who runs the group knows there is no perfect way to keep everyone happy, but the current method of counting tracks has been in place for awhile now and seems to be accepted. There are a number of reasons why a location is counted more than once - a change in track surface (asphalt/dirt), inner ovals and figure 8's within an outer oval, and a temporary road course on the site of an oval (as was the case with Toledo). Some examples are drastically different, while others seem trivial.

Earlier in this thread, I stated my count of 135, but nine of those are not recognized by the TC group, so you will see me listed with 126 tracks at 111 locations. It is what it is. Doesn't really bother me. I'm proud of my list either way. Recently however, we have been allowed to list non-countable track visits towards the bottom of our individual page.
My list: http://www.roamingtheraceways.com/ov...al.php?cid=162

The guys who have been to 1000 or more tracks have the means to travel almost every week of the year. One of them is Allan Brown, who sold his National Speedway Directory books at tracks across the country for many years. I wish I had his life!! I work 50 hours a week, but I manage to find a bleacher seat at a cool track as often as I can. I will say this... being part of the TC group has added a bit more fun to my hobby of being a race fan. And that's what really counts.
" If the track count bothers you, simply ignore it and look at the location count. Impressive numbers no matter how you look at them."... Makes sense to me. I guess if guys are obsessed enough to go to 1700 tracks, they're obsessed enough to quibble about details. Its all in fun...
revjimk (Offline)
  #59 1/2/18 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by WinglessLovers:
My wife and I were able to attend 106 races this year up from 99 the previous year. We saw racing at 54 different tracks in 10 states and scored 26 new tracks to our list (see profile if interested in seeing the complete list). We also write for Hoseheads.com and moved to Indiana almost four years ago to be able to attend the best non-wing racing in the country on a regular basis. We visited Kokomo Speedway 14 times during 2017 and enjoyed every race there. Our three top races of 2017 were the USAC midgets at Macon (so much action you didn't know where to look), an awesome show. The USAC midget race at Susquehanna Speedway in PA was second with Justin Grant stealing the win on the last corner of the last lap as Spencer Bayston and Tanner Thorson ran each other to the limit on the last lap and both slid high in turn four. Tyler Courtney's first Kokomo win during Smackdown was a great race with him coming back from flipping earlier in the evening with Brady Bacon advancing from 18th to 2nd at the finish. As Mr. Goodnight stated earlier it was a good racing season with many quality shows witnessed.

Wishing everyone a healthy and Happy New Year and hoping that 2018 will be just as an exciting year of racing.

Bruce and Pat Eckel
Wow... can I assume you're retired with a decent pension?
I think we met at Path Valley, no?
USAC midgets at Susky was my favorite race of the year too....
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, Kydehart
revjimk (Offline)
  #60 1/2/18 1:09 AM
Fonda Speedway, Mohawk River, bucket list: https://bangshift.com/wp-content/upl...5/05/fonda.png
From this photo, looks like car going too fast on Turn 2 could end up in the river.... wonder if its ever happened?