IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > meeting
2/12/13, 6:54 PM   #61
Re: meeting
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott bradley1x View Post
Thanks DAD love me or hate me. I use a boat oar for a spoon I stir things up with !!!!!!! Just a southern Monroe county hay seed with a lot of good ideas

Posted via Mobile Device

Hay "hayseed" why use an oar when you can use a Konig outboard motor, (way over most of use guys heads) We sure got them going.

I think all three groups will do fine this summer. Some of us get a little excited but that is also a good thing. If somebody would invent a transporter machine I would love to race at Waynesfield again but 5 hrs is a bit much, 15 years ago it was a long haul.

Mini sprints for the most part are a low maintenance race cars. If I had a place to park the car and trailer over the week and drive a POV back and forth it might be a doable deal. The people up there are real race people and I know it to be a great place to race.

I see a lot of Lawrence burg people making the haul. The one closer to central Indiana will probably race MMSA, that is how I see it going down right now. I don't see a need for any bad words right now. In the past I have used plenty of them, but that is ancient history. Back to my basic philosophy "COMPETITION IS WONDERFUL" it will always make people and groups better.

Honest Dad himself

2/12/13, 7:09 PM   #62
tothetop1

Long time reader, first time poster. I know some about mini's so correct me if I am wrong. But heres what I gather and am finding out of this division.

Cars are way overpriced, and people complaining about motor rules. I raced karts for 9 years, and this class of "clones" came around. Its basically a knock off of a Honda ohv engine. It first started off as a Harbor Freight motor, that people could run affordably. About 150 bucks total, and you get a older chassis, and you were in the game of racing. Long story short, after alot of cheating, illegal parts, progression of different engine manufactures, and complaining about the rules, along with promoters not really paying attention to what happened, the division was basically lost of its "intent". Some of these clone engines are now 1000+, and guys are spending 2-3000+ on chassis, along with tires, and other things, you now need the big money to keep up in a class that was intended to be "affordable".

Im watching the same demise of the Mini's. 1200's? From my understanding at the other Non-Waynesfield shows, the AMSA will be 1200's at their other races, and the AMSA is just coming in to handle tech, thats about it. This is probably the best thing that could have happened for Waynesfields Mini-Sprint Division. There was 0 tech at this track, and things were getting too far out of hand, and its just not this division, however to see they are taking a step in the right direction to get things under control is a major plus.

I understand where the "little guys" are coming from. I have a 3500 dollar car, and a whooped 1200. The problem is, if you allow your 1200 to run, everyone is going to be allowed them, it has to be that way, which brings on the major problem of the bigger more funded teams. Just because you own a 1200, and Team X owns a 1000, doesnt mean they are sticking with a 1000 because they know they can already win, they will also be allowed a 1200. So there brings in spending more money, because now, you will have to deal with a bigger more funded team, running more horsepower, having a better car, better tires, better shocks. The motor rule does not change this a bit, except where a select few people can not race. I know people say "horsepower isnt what wins races, driver and setup is". I will fully agree, until you get to the point your at now, you have say 10 cars that could win on any given night due to setup, driver, whatever. Now give 1-2 of them 20-40 more horsepower and watch what happens. This goes for the 1000's with the englers, or other cheater parts. Horsepower does win races, when things are so close as they are setup and driver wise.

I noticed a small complaint on "thin-wall tubing cars". Im sorry, but this needs checked, and it cant be brushed off to the side. Its easier to send someone home, and they have to purchase a different car, than someone die when the cage basically falls apart. Many people do not realize the kind of speed these things produce, and the results could very easily cause some serious injury or be fatal. I understand it can happen in any race vehicle, but come on, there are rules for a reason. Not enforcing this rule is 10 times worse than not enforcing a engine rule, tire rule or anything else. Ive also heard the arguement that they wouldnt be safe enough to run non wing because the cars are junk because of the violent hits the frame takes. I can see a point to this, but I had a friend crash a 305 at Attica, nosed over hard and the left side down tube assembly broke, I can not seem to find the picture, but the wing really didnt do anything to cushion his blows, as it was immediately ripped off in the crash after the nose over. Winged cars are much faster, which obviously crashes a hell of alot harder. Circumstances to not land on the wing would be tough, but it does happen, thats where the thin wall frames come back in, theres a reason the rule is there. Driver safety. It obviously got updated for a reason, and its only there to protect the drivers. Enforce it.

Kudo's on the attempts from Waynesfield and AMSA to get something going to keep the cost down on the engine programs. Its going to save everyone money in the long run, and keep some of the racing more competitive.

Erik

2 members like this post: DAD, Wayne Davis
2/12/13, 7:13 PM   #63
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
You guys are having a good little conversation here.

These are the rules we came up with this year in the new Mid-America Lightning Sprints Presented by Jayhawk Millwrite tour. Had to get the sponsor name in.
www.midamericalightningsprints.com

MOTOR:

Four (4) cylinder, four (4) cycle motorcycle engine only. 1000cc Stock bore and stroke only. Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha only legal motors allowed.
Kawasaki 2011/12/13 ZX-10r, Yamaha 2012/13 R-1, Honda 2012/13 CBR-1000RR and Suzuki 2012/13 GSXR-1000 Are NOT legal for 2013. We will take another look at this rule for 2014.
Older big bore motors are legal, ie 1100cc bored to max of 1205cc or anything in between. These are open motors with the exception of CC limit.
ZX-12 are legal and are subject to same stock rules as 1000cc motors.
Big bore kits on 1000cc motors are illegal.
In an attempted to equalize out the torque advantage of ZX-12 motors they will be at a different weight. Please review weights listed below.
Electric self starting. Car must start under its own on board starter at the beginning of each night.
Charging system must be operational.
Clutch must be operational and be OEM
Alcohol conversions allowed. No engler injection system allowed.
Stock head, cylinder, crankshaft and crankcase. Head must use only stock parts. No after market parts are allowed. After market stock non performance enhancing pistons and rods are allowed.
What does this mean? This means any steel rod and any stock weight piston with stock compression ratio may be used. MALS realizes that it is not cost effective for the racers to blow 1-2 motors a year. There for IF motors can be made more reliable by replacing the so called weak link we feel it is better for the growth of the sport to implement this rule!
Six (6) inch offset-measured C/L of motor and C/L of frame.
Motor inspection will consist of measuring the Bore & stroke, Bore Scope, compression gauge, engaging all transmission gears (must all be operational) taking of fuel sample. All motors subject to CC verification.
Violations will result in Disqualification. No money paid out for that night if disqualified.
Correct motor year and model ECU must be used. ECU re-flashing is legal.
No after market ECU allowed.
Maximum compression limit #240 hot or cold. Anything over is illegal.
All drivers must have OEM motor spec sheet with them. (OEM manual) This can be downloaded for free from the internet.

We still have several older motors in this area and we dont want to force these guys to go buy a new motor if they have a good old motor. And with the dyno work I have done there is not a big advantage of the old motors vs the new motors.
Mark

How's the nose. You guys say potato I say pototo or since I'm from Indiana I should use "POTOTOE". We are still pretty close. I just wish I could get you all to loosen up a little.

I would rather spend $4000.00 on a nice low millage new motor than $4000.00 rebuilding a motor with 20,000 miles on it. I don't know why but I have always had better luck with stock motors before I split the cases.

I like your tow money deal if we ever get together we might make the haul.

Honest Dad himself

2/12/13, 7:21 PM   #64
scott bradley1x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Hay "hayseed" why use an oar when you can use a Konig outboard motor, (way over most of use guys heads) We sure got them going.

I think all three groups will do fine this summer. Some of us get a little excited but that is also a good thing. If somebody would invent a transporter machine I would love to race at Waynesfield again but 5 hrs is a bit much, 15 years ago it was a long haul.

Mini sprints for the most part are a low maintenance race cars. If I had a place to park the car and trailer over the week and drive a POV back and forth it might be a doable deal. The people up there are real race people and I know it to be a great place to race.

I see a lot of Lawrence burg people making the haul. The one closer to central Indiana will probably race MMSA, that is how I see it going down right now. I don't see a need for any bad words right now. In the past I have used plenty of them, but that is ancient history. Back to my basic philosophy "COMPETITION IS WONDERFUL" it will always make people and groups better.

Honest Dad himself
While people spend thier time on here whining nagging & griping on here I have been latley staying in my warm cozy shop long hours at Hoosier hills career center rebuilding my stock r1 and porting , polishing and flow work finding witch combinations work best for air speed for stock valve,cam head
Have learned a lot, got pictures to post soon too so if people want to look.

Of course all of this is legal

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: DAD, fish, PatrickMead#13
2/12/13, 7:23 PM   #65
D.L. 122

Im proud to see a 7 page thread without it becoming a fight! Opinions have been shared, jokes have been made, and ideas have been tossed around yet 1 person has not went off the deep end so to say.

4 members like this post: buckshot3448, DAD, Phylo82, pjohnson
2/12/13, 7:28 PM   #66
buckshot3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothetop1 View Post
Long time reader, first time poster. I know some about mini's so correct me if I am wrong. But heres what I gather and am finding out of this division.

Cars are way overpriced, and people complaining about motor rules. I raced karts for 9 years, and this class of "clones" came around. Its basically a knock off of a Honda ohv engine. It first started off as a Harbor Freight motor, that people could run affordably. About 150 bucks total, and you get a older chassis, and you were in the game of racing. Long story short, after alot of cheating, illegal parts, progression of different engine manufactures, and complaining about the rules, along with promoters not really paying attention to what happened, the division was basically lost of its "intent". Some of these clone engines are now 1000+, and guys are spending 2-3000+ on chassis, along with tires, and other things, you now need the big money to keep up in a class that was intended to be "affordable".

Im watching the same demise of the Mini's. 1200's? From my understanding at the other Non-Waynesfield shows, the AMSA will be 1200's at their other races, and the AMSA is just coming in to handle tech, thats about it. This is probably the best thing that could have happened for Waynesfields Mini-Sprint Division. There was 0 tech at this track, and things were getting too far out of hand, and its just not this division, however to see they are taking a step in the right direction to get things under control is a major plus.

I understand where the "little guys" are coming from. I have a 3500 dollar car, and a whooped 1200. The problem is, if you allow your 1200 to run, everyone is going to be allowed them, it has to be that way, which brings on the major problem of the bigger more funded teams. Just because you own a 1200, and Team X owns a 1000, doesnt mean they are sticking with a 1000 because they know they can already win, they will also be allowed a 1200. So there brings in spending more money, because now, you will have to deal with a bigger more funded team, running more horsepower, having a better car, better tires, better shocks. The motor rule does not change this a bit, except where a select few people can not race. I know people say "horsepower isnt what wins races, driver and setup is". I will fully agree, until you get to the point your at now, you have say 10 cars that could win on any given night due to setup, driver, whatever. Now give 1-2 of them 20-40 more horsepower and watch what happens. This goes for the 1000's with the englers, or other cheater parts. Horsepower does win races, when things are so close as they are setup and driver wise.

I noticed a small complaint on "thin-wall tubing cars". Im sorry, but this needs checked, and it cant be brushed off to the side. Its easier to send someone home, and they have to purchase a different car, than someone die when the cage basically falls apart. Many people do not realize the kind of speed these things produce, and the results could very easily cause some serious injury or be fatal. I understand it can happen in any race vehicle, but come on, there are rules for a reason. Not enforcing this rule is 10 times worse than not enforcing a engine rule, tire rule or anything else. Ive also heard the arguement that they wouldnt be safe enough to run non wing because the cars are junk because of the violent hits the frame takes. I can see a point to this, but I had a friend crash a 305 at Attica, nosed over hard and the left side down tube assembly broke, I can not seem to find the picture, but the wing really didnt do anything to cushion his blows, as it was immediately ripped off in the crash after the nose over. Winged cars are much faster, which obviously crashes a hell of alot harder. Circumstances to not land on the wing would be tough, but it does happen, thats where the thin wall frames come back in, theres a reason the rule is there. Driver safety. It obviously got updated for a reason, and its only there to protect the drivers. Enforce it.

Kudo's on the attempts from Waynesfield and AMSA to get something going to keep the cost down on the engine programs. Its going to save everyone money in the long run, and keep some of the racing more competitive.

Erik
Dont get discouraged by what you read on these forums, especially over the offseason. This time of year we are all a little couped up to much and just ready to burn alky again or gas. Even Tulsa wasnt enough to help with the winter blues. This a great class and there are a group group of guys all across the midwest. Once the season starts youll see all of this come to a end and we will all be happy again. Untill then we try and re-invent the wheel in the offseason and pick at the little things. I wish the best of luck to all the series and driver this season and hope to race with somem of you guys I havent yet

1 member likes this post: D.L. 122
2/12/13, 7:30 PM   #67
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott bradley1x View Post
While people spend thier time on here whining nagging & griping on here I have been latley staying in my warm cozy shop long hours at Hoosier hills career center rebuilding my stock r1 and porting , polishing and flow work finding witch combinations work best for air speed for stock valve,cam head
Have learned a lot, got pictures to post soon too so if people want to look.

Of course all of this is legal

Posted via Mobile Device
Ninty percent of your power comes from the top end. So I guess you are doing the right thing. Would love to see a peak show of your handy work. Ditch the polish work.

Honest Dad himself

2/12/13, 7:55 PM   #68
cwhipple
Inactive Member

Quote:

Honest Dad himself
Hey Dad, I live 10 minutes from the track and have a spot you can leave a trailer. LOL, it would cost you some setup advice! Hell, I would even prep the car for you during the week for the right price!

Chris

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/12/13, 8:13 PM   #69
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhipple View Post
Hey Dad, I live 10 minutes from the track and have a spot you can leave a trailer. LOL, it would cost you some setup advice! Hell, I would even prep the car for you during the week for the right price!

Chris
That might work 5 hours in the hauler is like 4 hours in a car. You might get all kinds of offers.

Honest Dad himself

2/12/13, 8:29 PM   #70
scott bradley1x

Quote:
Ninty percent of your power comes from the top end. So I guess you are doing the right thing. Would love to see a peak show of your handy work. Ditch the polish work.

Honest Dad himself
How do you attach photos from a I phone

Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > meeting