IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra/mtqrl
7/17/11, 4:36 PM   #61
Re: Umra/mtqrl
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24midgets View Post
Hey Bob why are u so against running off transmission. They guys in Florida r running off transmission and Guy said he changes oil and spark plugs and they ran for three years now. U say ur motor is so cheep u still have to cut transmission off adapt for pump system and that cost money also. So ur 400 dollar motor cost like 2000 by the time ur done. So I think that if u were aloud to run off transmission it could bring in more people in to tqs. If u blow up a motor on Saturday u can get another one buy Tuesday for same amount u claim ur motor cost. I think some people don't like change. I think what happened to Carl was wrong he did get an ok from an official that had open mind to change. And the BS that he might cause a wreck and take someone out of points chase. Some said they would not come back if they allow that to happen. So the ones that disliked this a year later has only ran one race this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chris, I see where your headed, but you won't make me mad, nor will I ever be able to explain to you, how little difference there is, in the change, I didn't do this out of selfish reasons, I documented everything, and have patterns cast for the pcs needed to make the change, and the whole deal has been an open book now for 6 years, and as far as the transmission goes, as long as it is by the rule book, I have no problem with it, his wasn't, and, if you'll pay attention, and look at what room you have to work with, you'll see what I mean, when I say it's not an easy thing to do, with the current chassis. Sometime when you want to talk it over, and not try to bend me over, I'll try to expalin it to you, and as far as how many times we've been out this year, and Teegarden, his driver got married, and moved almost 200 miles away, my driver doesn;t work locally, only when he's trying to farm 800 acres, and travel at his employers command, last week it was Mexico, this week it Texas, and no, he probably won't be home till next Sunday. Ask Willis, or Nick, how many cars they got in Fl. OBTW, there were a lot of people not in favor of allowing it, I was just the messenger, so don't shoot the messenger, and, I believe that was the first season, so it woulda been 2 years ago, but it doesn't matter, it wasn't per the rule book, and I'm sure if it had been a barn burner, you would have been in the first 3 rows, to complain. Bob!
Last edited by TQ29m; 7/17/11 at 6:08 PM.

7/17/11, 4:52 PM   #62
racerjim2

I'm right here behind you Bob backing you up.:2:

I got into TQ's last year because of the simple reason they have a qc rear instead of the chain. I had a 250 miro midget with a chain and that thing was a real pain to keep on the sprocket. Plus the qc is more like the days when I really raced with sprint cars...they didn't have chains either.

You guys who don't appreciate what you have over in Indiana with both the TQ and mini sprints wake up. You could live where I do and have neither.

From what I've seen, the TQ's even with the Honda motor is so much cheaper than a mini sprint both to build and maintain. Those mini sprint guys spare no $$$ on anything.

To change a TQ from what it is no would be like putting a starter on a sprint car...sure it would speed up the show and make a difference BUT tradition goes a long ways....it just wouldn't be right!

1 member likes this post: scooter99
7/17/11, 5:02 PM   #63
cecil98

I remember a couple (few??) years ago on this board when a woman(at least she was involved) was forming a competing TQ organization. The controversy and what seemed to be one of the driving forces in causing the split was a family named Goff. Now, I've never been to one of these TQ races nor, do I know anything about the Goff's or who they are but, I got interested in that thread because of all of the rancor towards this family. I'm now seeing word "click" being used quite often in this thread. Could this "click" be a politically correct way of referring to the Goff's??? Just curious. Also, if that is the case, then perhaps "clan" would be a more appropriate description......

7/17/11, 5:32 PM   #64
Ambrose93&39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
I remember a couple (few??) years ago on this board when a woman(at least she was involved) was forming a competing TQ organization. The controversy and what seemed to be one of the driving forces in causing the split was a family named Goff. Now, I've never been to one of these TQ races nor, do I know anything about the Goff's or who they are but, I got interested in that thread because of all of the rancor towards this family. I'm now seeing word "click" being used quite often in this thread. Could this "click" be a politically correct way of referring to the Goff's??? Just curious. Also, if that is the case, then perhaps "clan" would be a more appropriate description......

7/17/11, 5:36 PM   #65
Bradleyracing86

"Those mini sprint guys spare no $$$ on anything".... maybe some do but they ain't no faster than anyone else.
Posted using Mobile Device

7/17/11, 5:36 PM   #66
TQ29m

Quote:
Cecil, you been doing a lot of readin, I had to go back to the first page to find it, and by golly you're right, and it wasn't anything new, in that club, or any other club, be it football, or any stick and ball "game", there seem to be controlling parties, in almost/all ventures, cause you can run into it anywhere, even in ********, or the stock market, the easy thing to do, which most folks do, is just be like Lemmings, go, do what ever it is, take what they get, and come back the next time, don't make any waves, don't talk very loud, and above all, don't tell anyone you have a feeling you're being taken advantage of, say yes, when you'd rather say no, then after a while, slowly become invisible, don't get involved in the ********. In that case, I bring up an old sayin, and song, "if you aren't willing to stand up for something, you'll fall for anything". Now, to answer your question, I believe you to be correct, there were a number of us, who had already made contingency plans, to go and run on our own, for whatever we could, if it was our own gate, that's what it was going to be, then this opportunity came along, and we jumped on board, hoping that it would develop, and it has, there are some corrections that could probably be made, but my thought is to let it play a while, don't make waves, or drastic turns, let it settle out, and see what happens, then, if needed, make the changes, but, be careful. JMHO! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 7/17/11 at 5:38 PM.

7/17/11, 6:04 PM   #67
DAD

Poor folk can still race and beat rich folk in mini sprints or TQ's. Rich folk can't help their rich and like to race. I've been on both sides and always respected the shoe string guys for what they could do with very little funds. We have been on the other side for the last few years and it is as much fun or more doing it on the cheap. If I could only learn to s$%^ new tires.

7/17/11, 6:23 PM   #68
TQ29m

Chris, that was 09, we've both run a full season since, besides, is there a law that says you can't miss a few races? Bob

7/17/11, 7:33 PM   #69
thebus79h

I guess I don't understand...

Everybody wants TQ's to thrive... but yet... no-one will listen to people that feel there needs to be change to the rules. If you think a Yamaha R1 wouldn't spin a quickchange, you are mistaken. that motor is a monster, and would do awesome in these little cars.

I truthfully believe the problem isn't the owners, the problem is the clubs that don't want to listen, and have people that build engines on the board, running the show, and helping out. They don't know anything else, and aren't willing to change.

People want to talk about the difference between TQ's and mini/micro sprints amazes me as well. TQ races can be good, but the last few that I've seen (yes, this year), were close races just due to the format, and the style of track... one groove... on the bottom... in a freight train.

If someone is happy going to the track and finishing 5th, that's fine, I'm happy for you, but finishing 5th every week sucks to me, and I wouldn't like it one bit.

Nobody will own up to the fact that the reason people are going to mini's and micros is simple, there are more places to race, and the cars are readily available. Go look around on message boards and see how many cars are for sale in each class. You can barely find a TQ for sale anywhere, but you can find a micro/mini sprint anywhere, most built on a jig in a shop somewhere by a reputable builder, with a motor from a reputable builder in it as well, and made in the last decade.

It's not horrible that you can still run an old car, and win races, but there isn't anywhere I can call just to order axles, or get some radius rods made, without them being custom built. That's not what people do now-a-days. That part of racing has come and gone, and you aren't going to gain any people doing it that way.

It's great all the cars look different, but the difference between a good TQ, and a bad TQ is astounding, where you go to a mini/micro sprint track, the bad micros/minis, still are pretty good stuff.

You cannot fault someone for spending money on a racecar to make it better, but if the rules don't allow for that, something is wrong. I would LOVE to see an outlaw TQ organization started that was 48 inches center to center on the rear tires, and put anything from 1000cc to 1200cc motors in the cars, and make them direct drive. Put a few basic rules on there, measure em, CC em, and go race the damn things and get the ******** out of the sport. The people that have been running the series are the ones that have been involved forever, and haven't looked at the future.

the 600cc micro sprints have been around forever, and it took a while for them to grow, and everybody was pissed off because of the expense of them, well once they all got their heads out their asses and realized it was much cheaper, and you were going to build car count, everybody jumped ship. Times change, and the motors from 10 years ago, you can't be competitive with anymore, but that's part of racing. We are willing to improve lots of things, but the most important part of the whole damn car nobody wants to touch.

7/17/11, 7:39 PM   #70
STP

Race Count Last Year: 1

Quote:
I'm the person to whom you are referring and one of the founders of MTQRL. Although my role has eased into being more of a sponsor, thanks to Greg Staab and his crew, I am still very committed to seeing the continuation of TQ racing and its traditions. I hope you do get a chance to attend one of our races. They are very exciting and addicting.

First I will address the coming together of the two organizations. The reason for the new league was that a certain group chose to obtain wins using strong arm methods and rule changes to suit them and not talent (which they have BTW and were one of my favorite teams to watch). From what I hear, this hasn't changed. Racing is a dangerous enough sport. There is no room in it for fist fights, breaking trophies, flipping off fans, and deliberate take outs. TQ racing has traditionally been a family spectator sport and I would prefer it stay that way. The only realistic way to join forces is to do away with the club format and for all teams to abide by the same rules.

Although I've been in the background even more this season, I have missed seeing Bob, Peg, Kyle, Jeff, Bruce, Kenny, Dale, and Larry at the track. It's not the same without you guys. And it's not the same without the 5G on the track.

Rules and car specifications are open for improvement while maintaining the safety and integrity of a TQ. MTQRL welcomes suggestions and will do what is necessary without overhauling the sport. Two years ago when the experimental engine was introduced, it was done so with the understanding it was within the rules. Once it was discovered that it wasn't, it was no longer allowed on the track during competition. I've personally talked to Carl about it and believe he now understands.

Carl Cruze is the new Voice of MTQRL. We feel he brings a style that is in line with the current generation of race fans. He's very upbeat and entertaining.

MTQRL was begun with a dream and a huge learning curve. We appreciate those who understand that and support us. Instead of wasting energy complaining and bashing, be thankful the Lord has given us this opportunity and embrace it. No matter who is your favorite use your voice to support them in a positive way. Tell what you like about them, be it MTQRL, UMRA, or mini sprints.
Last edited by STP; 7/17/11 at 9:38 PM.

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra/mtqrl