IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Week / Gas City ?
5/29/18, 12:16 AM   #71
btg1963

I’m just curious why everyone is worried about the building of a temporary track... Chili Bowl? Mid-America Dome? both temporary venues... both tracks hosting several times the amount of cars we will see on opening night of Sprint week... and neither of these venues have the potential resources of IMS... This forum is full of fans complaining about The 500 abandoning short track drivers... Now when they are possibly offering a chance for our heros to make their name on the hallowed grounds, negativity abounds.

I, for one, hate to see Gas City lose its date. I have enjoyed kicking off the week there in the past. However, if this comes to be at IMS, we have an opportunity to showcase our passion to an audience never seen before!

5/29/18, 12:37 AM   #72
Re: Sprint Week / Gas City ?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
I could go on for hours with questions pertaining to how they are going to put down an acceptable track for this show. What they need to expect is every sprint car in a 3 state area is gonna show up to run just because this is IMS. Not only are we going to have an untested track but probably 60-70 sprint cars there. If they are gonna do this is should have been IN ADDITION to Gas City not INSTEAD OF. Gappens has stuck his neck out to promote a track that likely would have been dark otherwise. Looks like it could be bad weather for his midget week date and they steal his sprint week date out from under him. Makes you wonder how he is gonna make it worthwhile to keep it open.
Not to start a war, But Gappens never had a Sprint Week date. And I said earlier I think it has a little to do with long time promotors if a track can get one or not. I know they work together, not running NW sprints against other SW dates and Kokomo and Burg even swapped nights
60-70 sprints? Considering they're not pulling 25?

Oh and I agree to the promoting and show casing our home state type of racing, I only wish that with it comes higher payouts throughout the purse and some other tracks that can do it, do it. Might keep some of these guys from leaving the first opportunity they get to All Stars, or WoO.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/29/18 at 12:43 AM.

3 members like this post: nathans1012, oppweld, PJ Wright
5/29/18, 12:53 AM   #73

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

Just at the 500 in my turn three seats. The infield was packed with cars, people and the snake pit. Nothing there yet. not surprised though they need every inch of that area for the 500.

I Put my blanket down already on the top row it better be there when I get there in July.

7 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, oppweld, racefan20, RedRacer07, Scooter, TBONE
5/29/18, 1:59 AM   #74
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt330 View Post
Odd that if it was on a USAC t-shirt no pictures have been posted.Just saying.
I have photo.. error loading attachment yesterday when I tried. Oh well.

5/29/18, 5:44 AM   #75
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttrackfan6371 View Post
so it will be indy right I like to get the official word on this so start planning that is the question when is this announcement people plan for sprint week that is my question when is the official word
Maybe they didn't announce it because they didn't want it to get lost in another small event the track has been promoting. They figured there were enough clues that the hard core fans would figure it out. This will make for a bigger announcement. No matter what they do people are going to complain.
Going to put my blankie down today after work.

5/29/18, 7:53 AM   #76
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Not to start a war, But Gappens never had a Sprint Week date. And I said earlier I think it has a little to do with long time promotors if a track can get one or not. I know they work together, not running NW sprints against other SW dates and Kokomo and Burg even swapped nights
60-70 sprints? Considering they're not pulling 25?

Oh and I agree to the promoting and show casing our home state type of racing, I only wish that with it comes higher payouts throughout the purse and some other tracks that can do it, do it. Might keep some of these guys from leaving the first opportunity they get to All Stars, or WoO.
Well when Mike Miles left Bloomington did they lose their sprint week date? When Jiggs left Gas City did they lose their date? I think a lot of guys will show up for this race whether they have a chance to make the show or not just so they can say they raced there, its not a normal race Chuck so the fact they are only bringing in 25-30 for a regular race is irrelevant. Think Mopar Million kind of turnout.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

5/29/18, 10:00 AM   #77
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Well when Mike Miles left Bloomington did they lose their sprint week date? When Jiggs left Gas City did they lose their date? I think a lot of guys will show up for this race whether they have a chance to make the show or not just so they can say they raced there, its not a normal race Chuck so the fact they are only bringing in 25-30 for a regular race is irrelevant. Think Mopar Million kind of turnout.
Yes, but Jiggs and Miles probably secured the date before turning it over. Did the O'Conners? I know they turned inward to improving Kokomo and holding some bigger events. Sprint Week probably wasn't in their plans anyway.

Possibly 50-60, there's no way in heck that it gets close to Mopar Million counts That 10k to start had a lot to do with many who ran that.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/29/18 at 10:07 AM.

5/29/18, 11:44 AM   #78
david mitchell
Banned

Plymouth is fine and excellent venue.Giant grandstand would accomodate eveyone and not kill you physically like Gas City grandstands.Track attention would be very important as to not have type of surface as they had few weeks ago.The Speddway thing is dead.

5/29/18, 12:12 PM   #79
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
Plymouth is fine and excellent venue.Giant grandstand would accomodate eveyone and not kill you physically like Gas City grandstands.Track attention would be very important as to not have type of surface as they had few weeks ago.The Speddway thing is dead.
I would bet you differently. I know no one on here is ever willing to do that.

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, mc/rider, opnwhlmnd
5/29/18, 4:57 PM   #80
ossuks

Dirt track at Speedway.....should be official soon.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Week / Gas City ?