IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dallara? Really IndyCar?
7/14/10, 12:54 PM   #1
Dallara? Really IndyCar?
ChappyEight

So much for progressively moving the sport forward. Dallara could possibly be the very worst decision of all the options.

Bye-bye open wheel, we almost saved you...

:36 in the past.

7/14/10, 1:04 PM   #2
Re: Dallara? Really IndyCar?
D.O.

I like the idea of a race team in Indiana getting a big discount on a car, first 28 from Indy. All parts built in Speedway and in Ind.
Cheap base price.
I really like build the body like you want.
Should be work for our local racers too.

See where it goes from here?

The did mention Levi Jones in the broadcast of the announcement.

1 member likes this post: Seadog
7/14/10, 1:11 PM   #3
BuckeyeBullet

I reserve the right to remain cautiously optimistic until the end of the 2012 season. I like having the manufacturer in the US, like the open bodywork concept, really like 100hp p2p, and love the relatively open engine formula.

Could be worse, could have been DeltaWing.

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
7/14/10, 1:11 PM   #4
ChappyEight

You make good points D.O.

However, as far as being produced locally, wasn't that a requirement of all submissions? For that matter, the cost was to be in that same ballpark across the board as well. So, to me, those items are a wash because every submission included them.

Isn't it likely that eventually people will find what works best aerodynamically and people will begin to jump in line with that to where eventually all the cars look the same again anyway? And, what happens when Penske starts paying Boeing for R&D to develop a space age aerodynamic monster? What happens to the costs then?

Hardcore fans such as myself will suck it up and hope for the best. However, this is simply not going to generate enough interest to grow the sport.

I hope and pray that I'm forced to eat crow one day, but I fear that day may never come...

7/14/10, 1:16 PM   #5
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
Isn't it likely that eventually people will find what works best aerodynamically and people will begin to jump in line with that to where eventually all the cars look the same again anyway? And, what happens when Penske starts paying Boeing for R&D to develop a space age aerodynamic monster? What happens to the costs then?
"The IndyCar Safety Cell will serve as the base, with bodywork (aero kits of front and rear wings, sidepods, engine covers) an open design element. Any manufacturer (including inhouse by teams) will be able to produce aero kits for the chassis with stipulations that the parts receive approval from the IZOD IndyCar Series, be available to all teams, undergo safety testing approved by the IZOD IndyCar Series and have a maximum price of $70,000. Each team will be allowed to purchase two aero kits per car each season."

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-car-revealed/

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...car-reactions/

7/14/10, 1:19 PM   #6
richie

Dallara is only making the tub. It's open competition for all others to build the body of the car. We'll see how it works out, but it's usually Penske leading the way and everyone following. The prices for the cars will be cheaper, so hopefully that can get a few USAC drivers and/or teams to get involved, at least at Indy.

Not sure how I feel about it. I'll form my opinion in 2012.

7/14/10, 1:19 PM   #7
ChappyEight

Thanks Vukie, I didn't realize transcripts were already posted.

7/14/10, 1:23 PM   #8
richie

They have stated that the cars will not be called Dallaras. If Penske build a body, that car would be called a Penske chassis. If Boeing built a body, that car would be called a Boeing chassis. Even if Lola built a body, it would be a Lola chassis.

Dallara is just the tub. Obviously, that tub is quality after seeing how it fared in Mike Conway and Ryan Briscoe's wrecks in the past few years.

7/14/10, 1:27 PM   #9
Vukie

If I'm reading this correctly,could Danny Drinan, Bob East and others in Gasoline Alley build these aero parts? If so, that's a great deal for them.

1 member likes this post:
7/14/10, 1:28 PM   #10
D.O.

They only can change body work twice a year. So that limits some multi changes.

The tub is bulit by Dallara but the name isn't. The tub is being built for the IRL. Whoever buys a tub can call it what they want. How the the name Stewart or Kahne or maybe a Parnelli again?
Lola can by a tub and it would be called a Lola.

Dallara is building a factory on Main St in Speedway or taking over the grounds and part of a long time ago factory? Kepler's Garage?

Anyway sounds good maybe we will hear it's a new track record again???

1 member likes this post:
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dallara? Really IndyCar?