IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who'd have thought it Distance
8/7/24, 10:33 AM   #1
Who'd have thought it Distance
Stephen Cording

Who'd have thought it; Distance Driven.

Quite hard to believe that on our Midget Week to Eastern Storm trip we collected the rental Car at O'Hare and dropped it off at JFK ($300 one way fee if you wanted to know) I drove 2683.6 miles. Making all Midget Week shows & Eastern Storm shows.

Indiana Sprint Week saw me clocking up 2511 miles pretty much all in state with only a trip to Mansfield and back. Car again collected and returned to O'Hare. Again all shows attended + Extra show at Brownstown for the fair week pro late model show on the Thursday before Putnamville.

8/7/24, 12:06 PM   #2
Re: Who'd have thought it Distance
interpreter66

That’s a lot of miles to be on the wrong side of the road

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, PIT CART, The Old Coyote, TQ29m
8/7/24, 1:27 PM   #3
Stephen Cording

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpreter66 View Post
That’s a lot of miles to be on the wrong side of the road
That's a lot of miles regardless of which side of the road you're on.

Driving in the USA is second nature to me now, it doesn't feel strange or uncomfortable in any way. My Brian just switches to USA mode as soon as I open the left hand side drivers door.

Maybe learning to drive in a manual transmission car and then driving a manual for 20+ years has opened up a different part of my brain? I don't know.

But what I advice I would give to anyone driving on the wrong side for the first time is; when driving make a point of recognising that 'you' as the driver are closest to the middle of the road / centre barrier or divide" I'm sure using that technique helps the brain make a new learned section.
And secondly treat EVERY junction as a Stop sign. No rolling through. Stop look in the opposite direction then proceed.
Again I'm sure doing this driving training just dialled in the information into the brain.
😁

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, interpreter66
8/7/24, 11:27 PM   #4
The55

Wife and I flew into London many years ago. We rented a car and I nearly hit a truck head on at the first round about. After that I had her remind me constantly to be on the left side. It definitely took a bit of time to adjust but thankfully we didn’t have any more close calls.

1 member likes this post: Stephen Cording
8/8/24, 10:20 AM   #5
Re: Who'd have thought it Distance
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The55 View Post
Wife and I flew into London many years ago. We rented a car and I nearly hit a truck head on at the first round about. After that I had her remind me constantly to be on the left side. It definitely took a bit of time to adjust but thankfully we didn’t have any more close calls.
I remember going to the Bahamas with my ex-wife. She insisted on driving since she said she was familiar with driving on the "other" side of the road. We came to our first roundabout and she went the wrong way. Yeah, that was the last time she drove on that trip. . . .

4 members like this post: luckybuc97, racenut69, The55, TNRustler
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who'd have thought it Distance