IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Most Fun You Had at a Rainout...
10/31/07, 3:14 PM   #1
Most Fun You Had at a Rainout...
Seadog

How about rainout fun for an off-season topic?

Two come to mind for me:

1. Eldora years ago. Can't remember the year. Big rain. Rigs trying to get out of the infield, they almost get to the top and slide backwards into the wall and each other. Fun for me, not for them. Heck, even people walking up that slick slimy track can be humorus for the fans to watch.

2. Hoosier Hundred many moons ago. Big rain. They announce on the PA after the rain stops if a fan wants to bring their personal car on the track to run it in, go ahead. Lots of cars on the track with people bouncing off each other. Even saw a guy wreck his brand new Caddy. Again, fun for me, not for them.

10/31/07, 3:24 PM   #2
Re: Most Fun You Had at a Rainout...
PJ Wright

I think fun rainout is an oxymoron! lol But there was this one time many,MANY years ago that involved Crown Royal and a certain, easily influenced, young lady. Ummm, I better stop there.

10/31/07, 3:55 PM   #3
TBONE

Knoxville Nationals 2007 wed. night rainout...Short drive to Des Moines...Little place called the Lumber Yard...:thumb:

10/31/07, 4:06 PM   #4
Andrew S. Quinn

Same for me. Knoxville Nationals Wednesday night rainout. I left a little early and went to Belle Clair Speedway in Belleville, Illinois for the Arnie Knepper Memorial race.

10/31/07, 4:15 PM   #5
FishBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
2. Hoosier Hundred many moons ago. Big rain. They announce on the PA after the rain stops if a fan wants to bring their personal car on the track to run it in, go ahead. Lots of cars on the track with people bouncing off each other. Even saw a guy wreck his brand new Caddy. Again, fun for me, not for them.
If I remember correctly, that was 1964. I was seated in the stands they used to have on the backstretch. They wound up postponing the race until the following week anyway after only two drivers (A.J. Foyt and Bobby Marshman) voted to run it on the still muddy and rutted track.

Indy always provided rainy day spectating fun at the snake pit. :eek: I miss that. Hey, I'm just old.....not dead. :wink1:

10/31/07, 4:41 PM   #6
smith19

Seadog, I Was At The Fairground And They Had A Rain Delay And Everybody Brought Their Cars On The Track. Some Got Tore Up But People Were Having A Blast. Hell, Hewitt Had His Chevy Van Out There Just A Gittin It...this Was A Sprint Race I Beleive.

10/31/07, 4:51 PM   #7
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
How about rainout fun for an off-season topic?

Two come to mind for me:

1. Eldora years ago. Can't remember the year. Big rain. Rigs trying to get out of the infield, they almost get to the top and slide backwards into the wall and each other. Fun for me, not for them. Heck, even people walking up that slick slimy track can be humorus for the fans to watch.

eldora the night after the indy500 drunks belly sliding in the mud in turn 1 always fun to watch.....i wish usac still had that sunday show:headbang:and watching DA trying in his suburban to pack the track at ISW when it was raining so hard you couldnt see 5 ft in front of you:action-smiley-049:

10/31/07, 5:03 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I was gonna say, Belly sliding Eldoras Banks. You can only watch so much Hauler Carnage before ya gotta have some fun!.

Chuck, who litteraly changed in the field between a couple cars.

10/31/07, 5:04 PM   #9
richie

Well, I did fall about six or seven rows down the steps on the slick metal bleachers at IMS on Bump Day 2002.

Oh wait, that was the most fun experience for everybody watching me. Not my favorite experience, though. :icon_smile_blackeye

10/31/07, 5:07 PM   #10
Bubzilla

A couple of rainouts at Manzy:

1). Sitting on the pit wall having a few brewski's with some other crewmen and watching some of the loaded up rigs get a heck of a running start to exit the pits using Manzy's turn 4 exit. Thru the infield at about 40 MPH boucing all over the place trying to get enough speed to head up the slight turn 4 banking while fishtailing, jack-knifing, and about anything else that could go wrong.

2). Last year, the checkered's flew to finish the A-Main just as the skies let loose. Watching a couple of local-yokels making a beeline out the back gate to bring their rigs in, then watching them fight (literally) over which one was going to pull into the pits first.

EXTRA SPECIAL ENTERTAINMENT: Although it wasn't a rainout, watching Jeremy Sherman's current car owner Fred Bryan (Charles Davis was driving for him at the time) fight with his equally "hillbilly" brother Keith over who was going to pull their tow rig out of the pits first. A totally hilarious scene.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Most Fun You Had at a Rainout...