IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC rule 315 - E
9/30/24, 10:17 AM   #1
USAC rule 315 - E
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

315 - E, The use of any data collection device is not permitted.

From GoPro:

Yes, GoPro cameras can measure g-force and other data using the Quik for Desktop app and the camera's telemetry feature:
Telemetry feature
The Quik for Desktop app can use GPS data to capture and overlay g-force, speed, altitude, and more as graphics on videos. The overlays are customizable, allowing users to resize and move the gauges, and turn on or off each data graphic.
Adjust gauges
The GoPro Quick app allows users to add gauges, including g-force, speed tracker, GPS path, and speedometer.
Height Altitude and G Force Speed XYZ Direction Sensor This pack can be plugged into the back of a GoPro camera to record altitude and acceleration forces while recording video. The data is then overlaid as subtitles on the recording.
Depending on the model, GoPro cameras may also have other features, such as a gyroscope, accelerometer, GPS, and more.

9/30/24, 10:27 AM   #2
Re: USAC rule 315 - E
leftrear

That seems like a pretty vague and unenforceable rule. As it's written above, you would not be able to capture high rpm as that would be a data collection device. I mean does g-force and speed tracker help you setup your car ? We are in the 21st century now. Tech savvy people can figure things out. I can see a day where you rent a track, collect data from sensors located all over the suspension and frame. Then using AI to setup the car and monitor changes. All you need is a nerd.

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
9/30/24, 12:30 PM   #3
The Old Coyote

Take the cameras off the cars. I am sick of all this I, Me, MY, Look at me BS. On west coast wing race last weekend, some jamoka walked up to the shuffle draw holding out a selfie am so he could record his re-draw interview. What a flake.

9/30/24, 12:59 PM   #4
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftrear View Post
That seems like a pretty vague and unenforceable rule. As it's written above, you would not be able to capture high rpm as that would be a data collection device. I mean does g-force and speed tracker help you setup your car ? We are in the 21st century now. Tech savvy people can figure things out. I can see a day where you rent a track, collect data from sensors located all over the suspension and frame. Then using AI to setup the car and monitor changes. All you need is a nerd.
All you need is a nerd & plenty of $$$$!

9/30/24, 1:29 PM   #5
leftrear

Some people will argue that it's a way to help fund the race team and grow the sport at the same time. Like it or not social media plays a huge role in today's society. It is where all the young people who can start filling the stands go to socialize. Maybe even a few make it to a real racetrack.

9/30/24, 4:02 PM   #6
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftrear View Post
Some people will argue that it's a way to help fund the race team and grow the sport at the same time. Like it or not social media plays a huge role in today's society. It is where all the young people who can start filling the stands go to socialize. Maybe even a few make it to a real racetrack.
Then take the rule out. there is not supposed to be gray areas.

BTW. did I mention all of the MyChron 5s I see?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC rule 315 - E