IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Need Driver with CDL--A
2/4/08, 10:43 PM   #1
Need Driver with CDL--A
Poorboyjocko

Need someone to help drive a toterhome w/trailor from the west cost to central Indiana. Will be someone else to help drive. Tentative plans are--Fly out--(Indianapolis) Feb. 21 and drive back by Sunday 24th. Quick trip--CDL _A reqired--all expences paid.

Phil Poor--765-643-1693 pm or Pdpoor@aol.com

2/5/08, 12:51 AM   #2
Re: Need Driver with CDL--A
shipjumper99

pm sent

2/5/08, 1:06 AM   #3
Wolfe-e

If Shipjumper can;t help you out, I probably can... Wolfe-e

2/5/08, 2:33 PM   #4
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Just out of curiosity, what does it cost and how long does it take to get a CDL-A?

Dick.

2/5/08, 3:43 PM   #5
wbr

Dick, I have a HAZ/MAT endorsement on my class A cdl and it costs:
(from memory:doh

4 year Renewal fee $30
$20 for each of 3 endorsements $60

2 year Threat Assessment Fee $100
2 year physical $150

btw I see Mr. Poor has plenty of offers already, but anyone needing help like this may contact me and I would be glad to help out if available. I have a class A with all endorsements and a spotless driving record.

2/5/08, 4:03 PM   #6
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
Just out of curiosity, what does it cost and how long does it take to get a CDL-A?

Dick.
I have been driving heavy equipment (Fork lifts, tractors, box trucks, motor homes, etc) and pulling trailers since I turned 16 and have been looking into getting my CDL for some time and if you do not currently have one that means most likely you do not have a truck to take the test in and most likely go through some sort of truck driving school. All the truck driving schools that I have found are around 3k-6k for a 6 week program.

If anyone knows of a cheaper way to get one let me know I am more then interested

2/5/08, 4:14 PM   #7
OpenwheelRob

If you don't know anyone with a truck. The only way to do it cheap would be to go with one of the large carriers who hire new drivers and put them through training BUT in order to get the training and license free you must sign a contract that says you will work for the company for a certain time normally 1 year and it's OTR (Over The Road). If your wanting a driving job PM me as that is what I do for a living find CDL drivers jobs.

2/5/08, 4:42 PM   #8
Quigg

If you dont have your own truck you can use a truck at most testing sites in Indiana. These tests are usually done by a truck driving school. Its $100 for the test, $50 extra if you need them to provide a truck. Before you get that far you do need your permit and a DOT physical. Permit is about $30 and a cheap DOT phys is about $40. You dont need any driving time to take your driving test. My second time ever driving a Class A vehicle was at my test. ( BTW, thats kinda scary to think about, with all the time we all spend on the freeway )

Eric Quigg

2/5/08, 7:21 PM   #9
Sprintcarfanatic

The place I work for sent 7 of us to the UNOH Truck Driving Academy. It was 5 hrs on Fri. & 5 hrs on Sat. for 4 weekends. Don't know how true but we heard it was $2400.00 . I missed the last weekend of the class because I had vacation scheduled to go to Knoxville. Since I work in the warehouse I do not get to drive to much. I did deliver a load of light bulbs from Lima to Batesvllie In. . I am also fully endorsed w/Doubles/Triples, Tanker & Hazmat.

2/5/08, 7:26 PM   #10
Hawker

I think that my renewal is $65 for a 7 year license. I have Doubles/Triples, Tanker and Passenger. I used to have the Hazmat but since I wasn't driving for a living at the time of my last renewal, I said screw the $100 for it. Hell, I have a Secret Security Clearance from the Dept. of Defense, but I have to pay for a background check for the DOT?????

If a person wants to get their CDL, first get your permit by passing the written test. Go here http://www.cristcdl.com/otc/ for some good practice tests. For the driving portion, you can rent a truck and most places will deliver it to the testing site for the test. You'd better be able to do straight, angle and 90 degree backing. Also, KNOW YOUR PRE TRIP INSPECTION!!! Those were the biggies when I took my test in Oklahoma...

As far as getting a OTR driving job, due to insurance requirements, most companies require 4 months of recent, verifiable driving experience within the past 12 months before they will even talk to you. If you don't have that you will either have to go to a school or take a refresher at a school, then they will send you out with one of their trainers for 4 or 5 weeks running as a team before they will allow you to go solo.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Need Driver with CDL--A