IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I wanna go racing
10/7/07, 7:37 PM   #1
I wanna go racing
JordanBlanton

As a race fan, there's nothing better than a weekend spent at the racetrack. However, the whole time I'm there, while enjoying the racing I get to watch, I continually think, "I WANNA DO THAT!" I've wanted to race for a few years now, but I always let the money involved back me out of it. This year needs to be the end of that, though.

Now, my reasons for starting this post: I don't know where to start. I'd like to eventually get into a sprinter, but God knows that's no place to start. :icon_smile_blackeye So, where should I begin? Most guys in the sprint ranks seem to have started at half my age (or less) racing karts and then moved into mods or mini-sprints, or midgets before stepping up to the 410s. But that boat has sailed for me, so does anybody have any advice on where a guy should get his feet wet in the racing world?

I realize that starting at 22 (well, 23, cuz I won't be able to race until next season) that I'll never have folks knocking my door down to get me to Indy or Daytona, I'll likely never win a USAC title or even a track championship, but I wanna race, damnit! :checkered:

10/7/07, 8:26 PM   #2
Re: I wanna go racing
flipalong

There is alot of different classes to start in and I probably could help you go in the right direction. In my opinion though learning how to work on one (mechanical & setup) is just as inportant as learning to drive. You may be a stand out in your first couple of years but if you don't know anything about the car your driving you will probably have problems (mechanically & setup ect.). Please feel free to call me at 812-825-1402 or 812-606-6687 and I will help you as much as I can.:thumb:

10/7/07, 8:37 PM   #3
Zellner

I started in a T.Q. midget ran them for 3 years before going to sprints. I was also concerned about money. The down side was it cost almost as much as the sprint I have now and the only experince I got was how to work on a cycle engine. Not telling you what to do but if I had it all to do over again I would buy a starter sprint car and run Paragon you will get seat time on a weekly Basis. and thats what its all about SEAT TIME!

10/7/07, 9:11 PM   #4
LocalYokel

find a different dream...

10/7/07, 9:22 PM   #5
Joe@ScaleSprints

Maybe start in mini sprints? Its like a sprint car, you get the open wheel experience, the cost is semi effective (still expensive I know) and you can learn about setups that MIGHT apply to a real sprinter sometime. One of these years I wann get into a mini sprint........one of these years.

10/7/07, 10:09 PM   #6
hoosier race fan

Sounds like Jordan and I have caught the same fever. Maybe it's the right age for it. I guess spending my entire 22 years of life at the racetrack every single summer has naturally given me the urge to want to race also. But, as a full time college student, it just isn't in my budget. It seems that most who want to go beyond the local dirt track have to start much earlier in life than either of us. I'm realistic enough to know there's almost no chance of ever doing more than that, but that's fine with me. All I know is, I just want to try it. With 4 people on my mom's side and 5 on my dad's that have been, or are still involved in racing, it's in my blood. Good luck to you in getting started.

10/8/07, 12:09 AM   #7
Gasman fan 50

First I would would go to one of the sprint car schools, and see what it takes. There must be one in the mid west. Maybe it in your blood, this will tell you if you have what it takes. Go for it that way.:Steer

Joe.

10/8/07, 4:45 AM   #8
1021gpa

i agree with eric zellner if you wanna go sprint car racing buy you a starter car and go run paragon...mini sprints and tq's are nice but to be competive in them you are looking at $10-$12,000.00 ..i see alot of older cars sprintcars on here with motors for that..no you probably wont win any features but you will get seat time and experience you need and you can upgrade as you go along..

10/8/07, 6:07 AM   #9
cecil98

jordan, don't waste your hard earned $$$$ on so called "starter" classes. we went from a 5hp briggs go-cart to a sprinter and my son ran 6th in the feature at lawrenceburg the second time he ever sat in one. now, yes, we 've had a lot of hard luck over the past few years, most out of our control and some our stupid mistakes but, that doesn't mean you'll suffer the same fate! LOL anyway, you can find a used sprinter that is a few years old for pennies on the dollar. you can spend a ton of money on a competitve modified or mini-sprint and then have to turn around and sell them for pennies on the dollar and wind up starting from scratch again. when you're ready, start shopping for a used sprinter (divorces and/or unhappy wives/girfriends can really drive the price down on a race car!!!! LOL). somebody mentioned in an earlier post, if you live near paragon speedway, that is the best place you can go to start out. you're guaranteed to make the feature every week. you'll get lots of laps there. when you first start, start on the tail, run a speed that is comfortable for you, run a smooth line, and in the few weeks you'll be slammin' and bangin' with the rest of them. also, there are many wonderful sprint car people at the track every week that are more than willing to help a struggling racer get his car in the ballpark as far as set up. just go talk to them. you'll be surprised at how many people are willing to help! good luck

10/8/07, 2:25 PM   #10
pgray

Follow your dream , but step slowly -

1) Decide what your real interest is ; what type car , series or something at a local track.

2) Get out of the stands ; work for a team next year. While doing so you will learn the cars mechanically , you'll get to know the participants and you'll be priviledged first-hand to know the costs involved in running that car.

3) After doing it this way , the decision you make will be a more informed one than otherwise.

4) And , always remember , you never can predict where your opportunities may come from when you least expect it ... but you'll be there to find out !

Paul

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I wanna go racing