IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New guy looking for some advice!
9/19/24, 3:29 PM   #1
New guy looking for some advice!
Mikey2274

Hey all! I have messed around with go-carts a little as a kid, but that was a LONG time ago, and I only ran a few times for one summer. So being older, probably not any wiser, and with a little bit of extra income, I have been kicking around the idea of getting into racing. I have been visiting tracks all season and this drug has been injected in my veins! I am leaning more so towards dirt. My question is this...what classes/types of racing are going easier for essentially a beginner to get started in? I have had a guy offering to sell me a 2020 360 roller with wing for $1200....but I feel that a 360 would be WAY too much money and WAY too high of a learning curve for a beginner. I am thinking more like a 1000cc mini sprint and race with the MMSA. Are there any other cars/series that would have just as many, if not more, races for someone my build (5'10"/220) that might be cheaper? Also, how can I get some seat time once I have a car? A time dedicated that people can practice? What tracks, if any, might have such a thing? I would love to volunteer on someone's team if they are open to it! Any HELPFUL advice would be greatly appreciated!

9/19/24, 3:42 PM   #2
TQ29m

It's all relevant, like gambling, you pay your money and take your chances, at that price you can get the feel of what to expect, and not be out serious money, and maybe make a little if you don't find it's for you
I might be interested at that money, and I have a Ranger
aircraft engine to put in one
And the ranger is ready to put in, but can also be bought
Last edited by TQ29m; 9/19/24 at 4:11 PM.

9/19/24, 3:47 PM   #3
Re: New guy looking for some advice!
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

buy the roller and put a 305 in it. 305 racesaver series

9/19/24, 4:12 PM   #4
kb78

Mikey,
Where would you be located at? That might make a difference.

9/19/24, 4:14 PM   #5
Mikey2274

Sorry! Indianapolis, IN ....specifically Noblesville.

9/19/24, 9:08 PM   #6
kendirt

Speed per dollar it's pretty hard to beat a Lightning Sprint.

What you should really do though is find that team to volunteer on. You'll learn a lot and figure out if you really want to race.

2 members like this post: jdull99, Pitdad
9/19/24, 9:38 PM   #7
Russ

I would recommend a 600cc Mini Sprint. I loved my time racing them. I think about buying another one all the time and I'm 61 years old now. Lol. There are many different classes Winged and Non-wing. Even a senior class. US 24 Speedway in Logansport runs every week. I not sure if Miami County Fairgrounds Speedway (Peru) is still running every week or not. Many of the Central Indiana Dirt Tracks also run them from time to time.

A lot of the sprint car stars of today started in them.

A TQ Midget would be another option. Even Tony Stewart still races one from time to time.
Last edited by Russ; 9/19/24 at 9:41 PM.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New guy looking for some advice!