IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > THAT news from joe buckles
11/26/07, 12:23 PM   #1
THAT news from joe buckles
D.O.

TERRE HAUTE — By all measures the 2007 motorsports season at the Wabash Valley Fairgrounds will go down as one the facility’s most troubling and least productive in recent years.

Shrouded in controversy the Action Track sat idle throughout the summer. Attempts to revive the fortunes of Action City Dragway USA were met with mixed results.

As the season drew to a close, the future of racing at the Fairgrounds was clouded in uncertainty.

In recent weeks, that picture has not only become clearer, but much brighter.

Dragstrip officials have taken preliminary steps to make major improvements to their facility, while Fairgrounds officials are now actively seeking a new promoter for the Action Track after Dave Allison recently agreed to relinquish all promotional rights at the oval.

Fair Board president Dave Hartman has confirmed that local officials and Allison reached an agreement last week to sever their ties.

“Through mutual agreement we parted ways with Dave Allison,” said Hartman. “Pete Plant, the chairman of our race committee, is heading the search for a new promoter. We’ve been approached by several parties regarding the position.”

Although Hartman is reluctant to mention names, former Action Track promoter Bob Sargent is considered a leading candidate for the position.

When reached by telephone last week Sargent acknowledged he has been in contact with Fairgrounds officials.

“We talked for the first time last week. There’s nothing definite, but we will be talking again in the near future. We like the facility what with its tradition and history,” said Sargent, who stages nearly 80 events every season at tracks throughout the Midwest.

A visit to the Fairgrounds shows that work is already underway at the drag strip, where officials hope the lengthening of the shut down area at the eighth-mile strip will make for safer conditions for the racers and help attract bigger and faster fields for 2008.
----------------------------------

heard that 3 people are talking. sargent, mike King and tony barhorst. hopefully good new soon. heard part of da leaving was he got gerry olsen's pit grandstands??
:dologob:

11/26/07, 2:18 PM   #2
Re: THAT news from joe buckles
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

One Crook Gets Them Built & Another Crook Takes Em Away.
What A Deal

11/26/07, 8:22 PM   #3
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Old news, was posted on 11.08.2007

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

11/26/07, 8:47 PM   #4
tjtomthumb

I'm glad to see Tony Barhorst's name mentioned. Tony is quite a promoter and I think would do a great job. He tries extra hard to do a good job on all events I've attended in the past that he has promoted. He is one of the few left that will promote an event instead of just opening the gate and hope people will show up. I wasn't at the Mercer County Chamber of Commerce Racer's Charity event this past Friday night in St. Henry, OH but I bet Tony was there promoting the upcoming Rumble Series at Ft. Wayne and plenty willing to talk about Indiana Midget Week. Also, tommarrow night is a DARF meeting, & I bet he'll be there passing out flyers. DARF Banquet in December, Tony always attends and promotes. He may just be the man to bring the Action Track back to where it belongs.

11/26/07, 9:55 PM   #5
chadsniffsmethanol

All I want are pit grandstands :rolling:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > THAT news from joe buckles