IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Morty
8/15/13, 5:24 PM   #1
Morty
Jerry Spencer

I got some info today that I hope is not true, Randy are you out there and are you ok.
We are praying for one of our friends and one of the best sponsors Spencer Racing has had.
Randy if you or somebody with good info can pass an update along we thank you.

Jerry,Sarah,Paul,Josh and Sonny Spencer #66j
stida.com/HalfMoon/Bruce & Sandy Dalton

8/15/13, 5:39 PM   #2
Andrew S. Quinn

Morty at the Little 500 this year. I wanted one of his campaign posters,so he brought us a few of them over.

Morty has been battling Cancer since earlier this year. The day he won the ******** for Village Trustee to be exact. He texted me with the news in April,inquiring if I was going to THAT for the Silver Crown race. I told him no,as the Silver Crown really isnt my cup of tea. He replied back he understood,and he had Cancer,and was hoping I would be there. At that moment I texted him and told him he better call me instead........

Anyways, he has Stage 4 Lung Cancer,and has had some setbacks when they found Cancer on his Brain,just after they started Chemo for the Lung Cancer. They did Radiation for the Brain Cancer,then he had a couple spots of Cancer on his spine which they treated with Radiation as well.

Last week he was having troubles with pain,and they put him in the Hospital and have been treating him for the pain and an infection they found too. He is still there as of today after they did a colonoscopy and are sending a camera down to his stomach. This is after they found some blood in his stool yesterday,and kept him for more examinations today.

He was just getting ready for Chemo in May when he went to the first POWRi race at Little Belleville,then he came over for the Little 500 which is where I got the photo pictured above. He went to Little Belleville on July 6th for the POWRi-USAC midget races,and I was hoping he could come there last Sunday for the Arnie Knepper race,but unfortunately he couldnt come over,so I went to visit him in the hospital instead.

Despite the setbacks,Morty still has his sense of humor,and had me laughing telling me of his adventures in the Hospital. I've been lucky that I have been over in Illinois quite a few times this year to watch midgets,and I always stop into Debbies Bakery (Bake U Smile) to get the rundown on him,and he has stopped in each time I have been in there to visit.

They are waiting to get thru todays examinations,and then visit with the Drs and Oncologist to determine what the next avenue will be for him.

Hope I got everything right. Debbie posts updates,and I get a better read on things when I stop in the Bakery and talk with her. I dont like to bother them otherwise,as I know they have a full plate on right now.

We're all hoping for the best for Morty. As Koonzie said a couple weeks ago at Waynesfield: "Going to the races is more fun when Morty is there."
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 8/15/13 at 6:14 PM.

8/15/13, 6:40 PM   #3
Re: Morty
Andrew S. Quinn

Latest from Debbie today:Ok...he is finally back in the room. He said they told him downstairs that everything looks normal. They don't see any bleeding and there was no bleeding in the stool yesterday. That's the good news. The bad news is, there are no orders to have him discharged today.

If anyone wants to post anything to Morty,Debbie will show it to him. He's been away from the computer for a few days.

2 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, Scoot71
8/15/13, 7:17 PM   #4
Vukie

Are two of Morty's Doctors named Dr. Springfield and Dr. Du Quion?
Thinking of you Morty! Get well!
Last edited by Vukie; 8/15/13 at 7:18 PM.

5 members like this post: billwill7, Danny Burton, Jerry Spencer, Pat O'Connor Fan, Pine
8/15/13, 7:18 PM   #5
PJ Wright

Thanks for the update. Having belonged to this forum for years, I feel like I know some of the other long-term members, even though we've never met. You learn a lot about people's perspective and priorities of life through their posts. There's a bunch of folks here that, even though they have a passion for racing, know that there are some things more important. I believe Randy is one of those. Besides the racing, he and I share an interest in the fire service. I bet there were some nights, winding down after dealing with somebody's emergency, that he thought about all the races he wanted to go to after he retired.
I think about Bill's lengthy battle with cancer and the health problems of Mudpacker's grandson and on and on and some of the folks that we've lost like Dwight Clock and Donnie Adams. And now we get this news about Morty.
I suspect that sometime this weekend somebody is going to start a thread to complain about dust or too many support classes or something else just as trivial. PLEASE people, just be glad you're getting to go to a race! ENJOY it!
Chief, flames and smoke and heat didn't beat you and this won't either. You and your family are in my prayers and I look forward to meeting you soon.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

8/15/13, 7:25 PM   #6
Bill Gardner
Administrator

One day at the track Andrew gave me the phone and let me talk with Morty... That was one of my highlights for the 2013 race season!

Hey Morty... Get yourself back on all 4 wheels! You've got alot of fans that want to see you race again.

8/15/13, 7:26 PM   #7
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Thank you for the update! I will be praying!

1 member likes this post: Jerry Spencer
8/15/13, 8:03 PM   #8
racing2bwithu2

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 63

Our Thoughts an Prayers are with you. May God Bless. Lloyd & Gail

8/15/13, 8:19 PM   #9
Jerry Spencer

We need an address to send a get well card or a thinking of you letter so we can pass our strenght on to Morty and his family.

Post something anything positive so Morty will know we care, run the count up as far as possible.

You are in our prayers my friend.

Jerry,Sarah,Paul,Josh,Shannon and Sonny Spencer #66j
Last edited by Jerry Spencer; 8/15/13 at 8:22 PM.

1 member likes this post: racegal
8/15/13, 8:31 PM   #10
EldoraMark

Get well Morty. Planning to spend some time with you at the Gold Crown. You always make my day when your around.

Mark

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Morty