IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thunder Roadsters @ Atlanta
10/30/07, 5:39 AM   #1
Thunder Roadsters @ Atlanta
hoosierhillbilly

I sadly went to the NASCAR weekend at Atlanta. WHile the Truck and CUp races were disappoiinting, I did get to see a pretty good race featuring the Thunder Roadsters. If you have not seen the Roadsters, they are scaled down roadsters similar to the old Indy Car roadsters. I believe they run 1200+CC motorcycle engines. There were nine or so cars and they ran the big track with a small chicane in turn 3. THis sort of suprised me. As for the race. The top three cars broke away from the pack but they swapped the lead a number of times and did some serious drafting. Since I don't know the names I cannot say who won.

I don't know if anyone else has seen them run but I thought they were pretty neat. Thus, I thought I would share.

Thanks

10/30/07, 10:52 AM   #2
Re: Thunder Roadsters @ Atlanta
pgray

" I sadly went ... " ( ? ) - Did someone make you go ?

Seems to me you made a conscience decision to go to two NASCAR race's ; ordered your tickets , made weekend accomodation arrangements , traveled 530 miles , probably with friends and/or family members ... were they sad , too ?

Because you know that this Board is largely anti-NASCAR ;( most here can't spell NASCAR , rather NAPCAR or NASCRAP ) , you were struggling with how to admit going to a NASCAR event ! Amazing !

Admit that you went , had a great weekend along with your guests , probably purchased some driver merchandise , etc. It's OK !! It's called being a race fan !

I am responding to this in light of something that recently took place. The Director of a large corporate marketing group said , "...if the throngs of NASCAR fans were also recognized to be equal supporters of Open-Wheel the money would be there ".( i.e. midget / sprint )." ...the money follows the fans".

Apparently we need to bring more NASCAR fans over to our product... not hate them or alienate ourselves from them as a group. That's it ... enough said.

Paul Gray
USAC Regional Midget # 28
www.paulgray28.com

10/30/07, 11:56 AM   #3
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray View Post
" I sadly went ... " ( ? ) - Did someone make you go ?

Seems to me you made a conscience decision to go to two NASCAR race's ; ordered your tickets , made weekend accomodation arrangements , traveled 530 miles , probably with friends and/or family members ... were they sad , too ?

Because you know that this Board is largely anti-NASCAR ;( most here can't spell NASCAR , rather NAPCAR or NASCRAP ) , you were struggling with how to admit going to a NASCAR event ! Amazing !

Admit that you went , had a great weekend along with your guests , probably purchased some driver merchandise , etc. It's OK !! It's called being a race fan !Paul,

I am responding to this in light of something that recently took place. The Director of a large corporate marketing group said , "...if the throngs of NASCAR fans were also recognized to be equal supporters of Open-Wheel the money would be there ".( i.e. midget / sprint )." ...the money follows the fans".

Apparently we need to bring more NASCAR fans over to our product... not hate them or alienate ourselves from them as a group. That's it ... enough said.

Paul Gray
USAC Regional Midget # 28
www.paulgray28.com
Paul,

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but maybe he meant this (it's happened to me before): I've been to races that I highly anticipated and was excited about going and the race just didn't pan out - the excitement just wasn't there. It was disappointment.

I think we are all entitled to our opinion here on this board as long as it doesn't get to be a name calling personal attack.

If you don't like Nascar, or wings, or pavement, or fenders, or USAC or whatever - that's your right.

I think you should leave the policing of posts to the moderators IMO. Why should we have to be careful about what we say just because we might ruffle some big wig's feathers a little?

10/30/07, 12:10 PM   #4
Offy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray View Post
"...if the throngs of NASCAR fans ]
Most NASCAR fans are over 25 and overweight and I'd rather not see them in a thong at a sprint car race.:emote20:

10/30/07, 3:42 PM   #5
Bruce Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offy22 View Post
Most NASCAR fans are over 25 and overweight and I'd rather not see them in a thong at a sprint car race.:emote20:
Especially if they're gonna STAND UP ALL NIGHT!!!:rolling:

10/30/07, 3:59 PM   #6
Z-man

I've seen a few NASCAR fans over 25 and wouldn't mind seeing them in a thong. Just to be fair, most sprint car fans are over 35, and thats being conservative. As for the standing up, I went to Martinsville last spring and had a discusion with the gentlemen in front of me about standing up. He finally sat down and the entire section behind us sat down. Of course I brought this to his attention. He thought I was being an arse so I bought him a beer. He didn't stand up the rest of the race. I'd prefer to see sprints on dirt but I'll go to a NASCAR race for the tailgating. Who knows maybe I'll see a race. I did last april.

10/30/07, 8:25 PM   #7
hoosierhillbilly

Hey Paul:

LEt me say that I am not offended by your post. I have no problem admiting that I went to a NASCAR race or any other race. I am never embarrassed about any race I go to. I like racing whether it is NASCAR, USAC, IRL or a local race track. I am foremost a midget and sprint fan. I also like wings but prefer non-winged. I like IRL over CART; Rolex over ALMS; Top Fuel over Funny Cars; Thoroughbreeds over harness (horse racing is good too) but I like it all.

This weekend was no exception. I saw a variety of races including a drag race. I got to see crazy people doing obscene things, enjoy the fine Atlanta traffic, drink beer, throw football, buy a few items, and see some beautiful country.

My only complaint. The anti-climactic ending with a green, white, checker finish that was for naught because of the wreak by Dale Jr. It was frustrating because the finish could have been interesting but it did not pan out.

Thanks

Dave

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thunder Roadsters @ Atlanta