IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #1 8/26/24 1:01 AM
I know this is Off Topic for many of you.

I asked and posted here because this is likely the best place to ask any questions regarding Kokomo Speedway.....

I know this is most sprint car folks on here, but I love all types of racing, and I noticed something earlier today while looking at the Kokomo schedule.

The XR Super Series Late Model race that was scheduled for Monday, September 2nd a few days before Eldora's World 100 weekend has been dropped and rescheduled for the Saturday portion of the Kokomo Klash. Does anyone have any word on this or is this news to all?

My biggest question is if this is the case where in the heck where they fit the giant late model haulers that are likely to show up with the UMP Modifieds, Street Stocks, & 4 Cyl. Hornets?

I've heard that the Reece has been taking down trees on the back (west) side of the pit area by the train tracks since about the middle of June. I wonder if it was to help expand parking for this 2-day show which isn't a bad idea since the pit area is usually pack and overflows into the parking lot areas.

Screen shot of the Kokomo Schedule (If you enlarge the picture, you can see it better).

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
3 Likes: bighd0522, DirtTrackTherapy16J, EBookerFan
Blitzman (Offline)
  #2 8/26/24 4:59 AM
In all honesty, it’s probably a smart move for XR series and Kokomo to drop that September date. The previous XR shows during the midweek hasn’t been great turnouts at the gate. Put it with another scheduled event for better turn out at the gate and less days Kokomo have to worry about track prep for another event.
2 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, nathans1012
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #3 8/26/24 8:35 AM
Klash is usually pretty well attended anyway, throw in XR and you’re correct Nate, it should be big. Maybe 16j has some info on this as he seems pretty well informed on the going’s on there.
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #4 8/26/24 8:57 AM
Originally Posted by nathans1012:
I know this is Off Topic for many of you.

I asked and posted here because this is likely the best place to ask any questions regarding Kokomo Speedway.....

I know this is most sprint car folks on here, but I love all types of racing, and I noticed something earlier today while looking at the Kokomo schedule.

The XR Super Series Late Model race that was scheduled for Monday, September 2nd a few days before Eldora's World 100 weekend has been dropped and rescheduled for the Saturday portion of the Kokomo Klash. Does anyone have any word on this or is this news to all?

My biggest question is if this is the case where in the heck where they fit the giant late model haulers that are likely to show up with the UMP Modifieds, Street Stocks, & 4 Cyl. Hornets?

I've heard that the Reece has been taking down trees on the back (west) side of the pit area by the train tracks since about the middle of June. I wonder if it was to help expand parking for this 2-day show which isn't a bad idea since the pit area is usually pack and overflows into the parking lot areas.

Screen shot of the Kokomo Schedule (If you enlarge the picture, you can see it better).
My guess is the drainage pit in the back stretch parking lot has been filled in, graded and graveled. It was used as a golf cart parking over the weekend and had heavy equipment parked there when i pulled out with the camper Sunday afternoon. I can confirm the over flow camping along the rail road tracks were in very nice shape and could definitely be used if needed. And yes, there’s a gate that can be opened in the back of the pits if anyone is wondering.

~Heath Moreland
4 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, nathans1012, Speedmax3
nodramazone20 (Offline)
  #5 8/26/24 3:26 PM
Looking at DirtonDirt website. Good spot to look for all things Late Models shows all remaining XRSS shows have been canceled. So not sure the late models for Klash is sanctioned by them.
3 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Grocery Guy, nathans1012
nodramazone20 (Offline)
  #6 8/26/24 3:33 PM
Originally Posted by nodramazone20:
Looking at DirtonDirt website. Good spot to look for all things Late Models shows all remaining XRSS shows have been canceled. So not sure the late models for Klash is sanctioned by them.
Well, looks like I am wrong....Justin Fiedler just said the Klash was being promoted as a XRSS race...we will see
3 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, nathans1012
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #7 8/26/24 6:22 PM
XR website has Kokomo Klash October 12 on their schedule. To win 💰is TBA
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #8 8/27/24 9:18 AM
XR cancels more races than they actually run.
4 Likes: billw, DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, nodramazone20
767 (Offline)
  #9 8/27/24 1:30 PM
They paid out alot of money last year. Good crowds and good car counts, but the money paid out was equivalent to 2 and 3 day shows. I will be the first to admit, I did not attend or subscribe to there events. So I am not sure if they had enough sponsors to cover all that got paid out. There were alot of questions swirling in the LM world about the series. It is obvious the checks were clearing as the same big drivers are still showing up.
2 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55
DirtTrackTherapy16J (Offline)
  #10 8/27/24 2:26 PM
Good topic Nathans, I did not know the change until you posted it. Your always spot on with info like that and I appreciate it and your time. Love your slogan too!! With that said, here we go...and yeah long read so for some of you if you can't handle it, just back out or keep scrolling, I could care less.

Many things that have already been said on this thread are true or partially true. We all have to realize that this is not LM Country. The Spring XRSS LM race and Modified race this year in 2024 was such d*mn good racing. Sprint Car Fans Only don't like hearing that, but it was some of the best racing in the tracks history. However, it was not very well attended at all. Week day, school night, work night, blah blah blah b*llshit excuses, the race was over and it wasnt even dark yet.

This isn't LM Country and they were just coming off a long weekend at Eldora with big money. Also the Spring LM race at Kokomo was only $10K-$15K. That's low for those drivers and those cars. Last year one of the XRSS races at Kokomo was $50K-$100K that makes a huge difference on car count and fans and with it being Nonwing Country.

The Fall race this year 2024 would be almost in the exact same predicament so from a business decision and move, in which The O'Connor Family is very smart and intelligent with business decisons, it probably is a good idea to cancel it and toss it in with Night #2 of The Kokomo Klash...boost up Night #2 as you lose alot of fans from the night before bc there are no Sprint Cars.

So the 2nd night of The Klash is all stock cars. This year, LMs, Mods, Street Stocks, Hornets. The backstretch becomes part of the Pits, always has. There is no parking in the backstretch nor sitting in those bleachers unless you buy a pit pass. This allows for much more room for rigs and race cars. However, they have always put a limit on the numbers bc they only have so much property. Again, Nathans is usually pretty good at finding that info when it becomes available. When they do this, it's first come first serve. You want to race, you get signed up quickly. If you miss out, your just out. Maybe they allow more LMs and Mods and less Street Stocks and Hornets, who knows, maybe not, only time will tell that answer.

As for some of the comments on the parking/camping on the backstretch. The O'Connor Family and The Ortman Family (owners of Kokomo Grain) have a very very strong good working relationship. Most people don't realize it, but most of the gravel drive going back to the backstretch is KG property. All the camping at Smackdown on the outside of the fence including but not limited to along the railroad tracks, that's all KG property. The first 2 gravel rows on the East side of the big grain building also is KG property. What the 2 families and businesses work out is unknown to me and I'm not going to ask it's none of my business, but those are facts. The extra area where the little pit/little drainage area was that has since been remodeled and cleaned up, did create some extra parking and was a very nice touch for golf carts at Smackdown especially people who don't do well walking or have disabilities but that will be obsolete on Night #2 of The Klash bc it will be Pits. It will allow for a few more rigs in that new area, but not very many when you consider the size of rigs now days. They also direct the parking in the Pits to stop wasted space. They also move the extra track equipment onto KG's property to allow for more Pits.

As far as the track prep, I've said it many times...Reece takes a ton of pride in he and his family's track and business. He and Rowdy work on it quite often. Even during the week when there is no racing coming up. Kokomo Speedway is not a track that only gets worked on a day or so before a race. If anyone has ever noticed, some don't bc they leave the stands when the checkered is flying, but as soon as the final race is over, Reece and Rowdy are on the track working it.

All in all, hopefully nice good Fall racing weather, The Kokomo Klash should be an awesome time and awesome ending to another great season at The Kokomo Speedway on BOTH nights, not just Night #1.

If you read this whole read, please remember to not only be respectful of The O'Connor Family, their business, their employees, their property, but also the neighboring properties bc they allow for more parking and more people to be in the bleachers and watch racing and all work together to make their businesses go which is tough in today's world!!

PS: Big thank you to Mike and Brian for working your tails off in the heat for 5 straight nights/days picking up all the garbage and trash and stuff left behind, filling approximately 6 dumpsters/dump trailers of trash for a 3 night show!! Sunday afternoon it looked like Woodstock, and by Tuesday afternoon, never even looks like a race happened in 90+ heat!! Great job guys, it's an honor for my business to be on your push trucks!!!!
7 Likes: addictedtodirt, Dale, dirtybob29, nathans1012, nodramazone20, racenut69, Speedmax3