IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crown @ Duquoin
8/1/24, 9:54 AM   #1
Crown @ Duquoin
deadhorse30

Talking about going to this race and was hoping I could get some pointers. I've never seen a mile dirt track or the dirt crown cars, time to change that.

Looking at the website is shows $25 for the race, is that in addition to the $10 to enter the fair? Trying to plan ahead and any advice on places to stay, food, where to sit, etc. I've never been to Southern Illinois and any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
8/1/24, 10:41 AM   #2
Re: Crown @ Duquoin
nodramazone20

correct....Fair admission is extra

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/1/24, 10:42 AM   #3
nodramazone20

sit in open stands in Turn 1

6 members like this post: Grocery Guy, Hubie48, jdull99, racenut69, tirespinner, wildman92
8/1/24, 10:55 AM   #4
B99

As I recall, the $10 charge for DQ is for parking only, there is no cost to walk thru the gate at the Fair unlike Springfield. $25 is for advance ticksts? $30 at the gate on race day I believe. As far as hotels Marion probably has the most selection of places and rooms. Carbondale has a few decent places, so does Mt. Vernon. DuQuoin has very little, as does Benton. Food choices will depend on where you stay. Mary Lou's in Carbondale is great for breakfast, 17th ST in Murphysboro has great BBQ, Walt's in Marion has great pizza.

Enjoy yourself. You should see this at least once. But know what you're seeing going in. This isn't Kokomo or Putnamville. This is a throwback to champ car racing of your grandfather, a place where the big cars can really stretch their legs and wind it out. If it were night, 150-160 mph at the end of the chutes wouldn't be out of the question. It's also strategy, fuel and tire management. Drivers get high speed long race experience on the miles they don't get anywhere else. I'm convinced Larson's performance in 2011 was a large factor in his move to NASCAR.

8/1/24, 2:17 PM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

The Silver Crown cars at DuQuoin are a must see. Too bad that the powers to be eliminated them from running at night under the lights. However, here are some tips from someone who has been to 40 races there. In fact we were just there last month for the AMA Flat Track motorcycles. Another must see show if you enjoy two wheel racing.

As far as hotels we normally stay in Mt Vernon as they have a number of good places to stay that are economically priced. The closer you get to the fairgrounds the price goes up during fair week.

As far as sitting I always prefer to be in the main, covered grandstands due to the sun and heat. It's always hot and humid in Southern Illinois that time of year. No matter which one you choose, you should be good on seeing the track. I would recommend bringing along a pair of binoculars and maybe ear plugs if you sit in the main grandstand. Also a seat cushion will help pad the butt for an afternoon of racing.

I would also go for practice and qualifying to get the whole effect of the racing series. As the cars race the track will change due to the amount of sun vs moisture in the track. Also as they burn fuel off, the cars themselves change.

As far as food I would recommend St Nicholas Brewing Company in downtown DuQuoin. They have great food and a selection of brews that is very good if you are into that.

I hope you enjoy your first time at DuQuoin. It's a great place to see the crown cars run.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/1/24, 2:31 PM   #6
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I’ve been going since 1965 without missing one
I have seats in Section EE Upper boxes
Even with start finish line
Under cover
I much prefer them over open grandstand

8/1/24, 3:41 PM   #7
miledirt

At some point, be sure to go all the way down to the turn 1 grandstand. It sits close to the track and gives a great view
But if it’s sunny and hot, I go to the main grandstand
Ron’s got me beat my a bit …1975 without fail other than rain outs

No fair admission - just pay around $10 to park
Last edited by miledirt; 8/1/24 at 6:54 PM.

6 members like this post: Hubie48, jdull99, luckybuc97, LUCKYONE, racenut69, tirespinner
8/1/24, 6:41 PM   #8
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Open grandstands. Be there for all of it - practice > qualifying > racing. And any of the fair food will be good. And ice cream. Oh - and an elephant ear. 😬

8/2/24, 1:22 PM   #9
nodramazone20

And, if you like Ice Cold Beer...they usually have fun beer tent as part of the Fair

2 members like this post: LUCKYONE, racenut69
8/4/24, 11:52 AM   #10
Hubie48

Duquoin is the most beautiful Mile Dirt Track in America

Google the history of the Fairgrounds.

and everyone is correct, the AMA show's are most excellent

RIP Rodney Farris

https://riderfiles.wordpress.com/202...-91-peoria-tt/

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crown @ Duquoin