IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crate sprints?
12/4/12, 2:32 PM   #1
Crate sprints?
PatrickMead#13

Had a guy ask me at work the other day about a local track he heard had a crate engine non wing sprint series. He couldn't recall which track but he said they ran the 602 and 604 crate engine with 4bbl carbs. I haven't heard of one here in Ohio but I guess my thought was why isn't there something like this or is there. Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device

12/4/12, 2:45 PM   #2
Re: Crate sprints?
racerjim2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermidnight View Post
Had a guy ask me at work the other day about a local track he heard had a crate engine non wing sprint series. He couldn't recall which track but he said they ran the 602 and 604 crate engine with 4bbl carbs. I haven't heard of one here in Ohio but I guess my thought was why isn't there something like this or is there. Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device
There's no crate class sprints but there is a 305 class which is the same idea as a crate class. The 305's in northern Ohio are a strong class with lots of cars.

12/4/12, 2:52 PM   #3
PatrickMead#13

Cool. That's what I thought. He just swore he was going to build one and try it out. Attica is what I'm thinking for the 305's right?

Posted via Mobile Device

12/4/12, 5:09 PM   #4
Bad Dad 54

Seen those 305, got a lot of hi priced parts on them, they can run w/ non wing 410's at Fremont & win. There are 305classes at Fremont, & Attica. Plus there is a 305 pavement traveling sprint class. They put on a good show too

12/4/12, 5:45 PM   #5
tim kelley

The 305 class, I have been told can be very expensive. Had a friend tell me that you can get almost as much in a 305 as a 410. If we're looking for a cost saver, the create motors seem to be the way to go. A create motor ran at Waynesfield and was very competitive. Even the front runners are starting to run short of cash. Either a create division, or a steel block club that puts limits on motors. Sprint Cars are my love. Lets keep them together!

12/4/12, 6:07 PM   #6
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim kelley View Post
The 305 class, I have been told can be very expensive. Had a friend tell me that you can get almost as much in a 305 as a 410. If we're looking for a cost saver, the create motors seem to be the way to go. A create motor ran at Waynesfield and was very competitive. Even the front runners are starting to run short of cash. Either a create division, or a steel block club that puts limits on motors. Sprint Cars are my love. Lets keep them together!
That was his thing. He used to run late models and he just couldn't compete on the kind of budget we're both used to. He wants to go race sprints and at a local level but not on a national budget as he said.

Do a crate with a single 4bbl and simple ignition and that's it. Something in the neighborhood of $4000 or less in the engine setup would put a lot of rollers back together and on a track. I kinda see where he's meaning by all this.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/4/12, 6:08 PM   #7
cmiracingvids

It's all about enforcing the rules. You can have all the rules in the world...but they're nothing unless you check and enforce them. Checking them is the hard part.

The MSA sprints up der in Wisconsin seem to be doing well with their "sealed after tech" steel block 360 motors. And you can get a front running motor for 7 grand.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/4/12, 6:18 PM   #8
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post
It's all about enforcing the rules. You can have all the rules in the world...but they're nothing unless you check and enforce them. Checking them is the hard part.

The MSA sprints up der in Wisconsin seem to be doing well with their "sealed after tech" steel block 360 motors. And you can get a front running motor for 7 grand.

Posted via Mobile Device
Very true. Being on top of tech is key to any series for it to keep it together. Reminds of the kart racing days. Come off the track for weight, fuel, compression, and a high five for meeting the rules or a kick in the butt when you didn't.... Lol

Posted via Mobile Device

12/4/12, 8:20 PM   #9
hoosierhillbilly

At one time dave blaney was involved in a crate sprint series that ran at the sharon speedwAy. They ran crate corvette motors. I saw the once and there were 10-12 cars. I don't think they are around anymore.

As for Fremont/attica, those 305s apparently started as a junkyard class but they have Gotten pricey. A long thread on pitgate.

http://www.pitgate.com/thread-14992.html?highlight=305

Posted via Mobile Device

12/4/12, 9:16 PM   #10
PatrickMead#13

Wow...lol. That pitgate discussion went way out in left field fast but some of it makes sense about 15-30000 305 engines kinda kill the "budget" for the little guys such as me.

From Looking into it some more, it might be the way I'm gonna go for my dad's sake. He retired and wants to try something open wheel so I'm thinking of obtaining a nice roller and doing a crate 4bbl setup for him to learn / have a blast with for a little guy budget such as mine. He wanted to try my #13 car but what can i say, can't fit a tuna in a sardine can..... (sorry pops)

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crate sprints?