IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
mnigh (Offline)
  #1 12/7/09 7:34 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(Ventura, CA) Two-time Chili Bowl Champion, Cory Kruseman has acquired the driving services of 2001 Champion and longtime friend, Jay Drake, to pilot a Kruseman Motorsports/Lucas Oil/Spike in January’s 24th edition. Drake looks to join his new car owner as a two-time winner; while Kruseman seeks to garner his third Golden Driller.

“It’s awesome to have Jay join our team! He had a great run last January; it’d be great to see him win his second Chili Bowl,” Kruseman said of his childhood friend. A multi-time USAC Champion, Drake made his return behind the wheel in 2009’s event just missing a transfer to Saturday’s A-main.

"I am proud of Cory's success as a race car driver and as a business man. Some of my favorite racing memories includes battles with Cory on the track.” Drake recalled a couple of Chili Bowl battles in particular. “One was in 2003 when I came from the back of the field to the front and battled him for the race lead for awhile until his car malfunctioned. I ended up loosing on the last lap which was disappointing, but the fight we had while he was in it was great. Another in 2006 we were again racing for the lead, eventually both got beat by Tim McCredie, we ran 2nd and 3rd, but the race was a lot of fun.”

“It doesn’t get much better than racing wheel to wheel with a driver such as Jay at the Chili Bowl. I’m looking forward to having that opportunity again. Although, if we’re racing for the win I might have to give him a little extra room this time since I’ll be his car owner too”, Kruseman declared with a grin.

Drake and Kruseman as teammates is familiar territory. “Cory and I started racing as teammates in go-carts out west early in our careers. We then progressed into 3/4 midgets, where we raced against each other for the championship. Eventually we rose to become teammates driving for Tony Stewart, and again battled each other for the 2004 USAC national sprint car championship,” explained Drake.

Drake commenting on driving for his good friend, “As high school buddies, we have had a lot of history together in life as well as in racing. It's great to see Cory's success in his endeavors, and it's a great opportunity to be driving a car owned by him in this year’s Chili Bowl. I value that we have remained good friends after all these years, and that he respects me enough to consider having me as part of his team this year."

“Jay was the first driver I thought of, when the chance arose for us to have a multi-car Chili Bowl team. We are also offering opportunities for drivers to join our team for the 2010 Chili Bowl, call us at 805-649-1243,” stated Kruseman.

For information on Kruseman Motorsports and Cory Kruseman’s Driving School visit www.kruseman.com.
2 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, James Ferns