IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sept 8 USAC National Sprints at "the ditch"
1/14/12, 1:14 AM   #1
Sept 8 USAC National Sprints at "the ditch"
okienonwingfan

It was announced tonight on racing boys that the USAC National Sprints will be at West Memphis "the ditch" on Sept 8. Tony Bruce will be the promoter of the race.

1 member likes this post: amati
1/14/12, 1:48 AM   #2
Re: Sept 8 USAC National Sprints at "the ditch"
darnall

Oh sweet....I have seen many many videos of races from the ditch...including a USAC race from the early-mid 80s that was floating around on here a couple months ago. I have heard countless stories about how awesome the racing is at that track and all the videos I have seen back that up...

Looks like I'm going to be making my first visit to the ditch in Sept.....6 hour one way trip...no problem!!!!!!!!!! And I really really hope they use their local weekly non wing 305 class and maybe the 600cc micros as the only support classes.
Last edited by darnall; 1/14/12 at 1:49 AM. Reason: fat fingers strike again

1/14/12, 3:31 AM   #3
okienonwingfan

I am wondering what their 305 class rules are?

1/14/12, 11:09 AM   #4
racephoto1

Finally a reason to go to the ditch. I just hope they prep it for non wing racing, and not that hard slick wing stuff. It would be a long drive to get disappointed in a legend.

2 members like this post: duel, koolaid89
1/14/12, 8:32 PM   #5
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Great news! My schedule also shows a tentative date at Granite City the night before. Not sure where I got that, but probably a post on here. Does anyone know anything about Granite City? That would be a really excellent two-race weekend.

1/14/12, 9:32 PM   #6
MemphisMissile46

The 305 class here went winged mid summer last year. The racetrack was slick with a cushion a few nights last year and it made for really good races. The tacky Ditch from years past is no more, as the sheeps foot is more common practice now. The new owner dressed the place up the last few years.

Wish we were going to participate in this race, but Jan was hurt badly in a 305 last year before the switch back to wings and he said he will not be racing without wings at Riverside as the track is too soft and the cages stick in the ground when the cars turn over.

I've always wanted to see USAC at my home track, and I was 3 or so the last time they were there. Thanks to Tony for getting us what should be one of the best races of the 2012 season !

Ricky Holder

1/15/12, 12:09 AM   #7
smith19

ricky, are you speaking of jan howard. if so i didn't know he got hurt. a lot of good racers have called this their "home track". swindell's, ronnie daniels, mike ward, bobby davis, hooker hood and terry gray just to name a few. if i remember right this is where larry kirkpatrick had his crash.
Last edited by smith19; 1/15/12 at 2:39 PM.

1/15/12, 3:14 PM   #8
MemphisMissile46

Yes it is Jan Howard. He had 2 fractured vertebrae in his neck and back and spent some significant time in the Med here. I am his right hand with the racecars now. We want to come back to Indiana to race but sold the last 410 we had in early 2010.

This should make for a really good show here, as I'm sure some of our 360 drivers will participate so I hope car count won't be an issue. Does USAC mandate a head/neck restraint? That may be the only thing that keeps car count down here.

1/15/12, 3:58 PM   #9
mortboyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
ricky, are you speaking of jan howard. if so i didn't know he got hurt. a lot of good racers have called this their "home track". swindell's, ronnie daniels, mike ward, bobby davis, hooker hood and terry gray just to name a few. if i remember right this is where larry kirkpatrick had his crash.
You are correct. Larry "Captain Crunch" Kirkpatrick was fatally injured at Riverside on July 4, 1976, while driving the Bobby Sparks 63.

1/15/12, 4:09 PM   #10
tailtank

We are looking forward to having USAC come back at Riverside. Thanks to TBJ!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sept 8 USAC National Sprints at "the ditch"